Author Topic: The u2.com petition is here; The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more  (Read 17818 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, the way I see it, no one is holding a gun to anyone's  head and forcing them to join the fanclub. Simply, if you don't like what is being offered and don't like the service just don't re-subscribe.  I for one have had no problems yet when ordering merchandise from the shop or during concert pre-sales and I really don't subscribe for the bonus CD.  What do you want them to give you?  Advance copy of their new album.  Okay, maybe they should have also thrown in a free T-Shirt.

a lot of people would like the option of being in a fanclub that was really great. for us the other options, 1. being in a fanclub thats not good (current situation) and 2. not being in a fanclub (your suggestion) come a long way behind the preferred option.

we are therefore trying to bring our preferred new option into reality. it's only marginally less simple than your two options point of view in the end.

and suggestions of things they could give us are listed in the petition.

What is it that you guys want from the subscription so that you can get "more value for your money"!?

again, read the petition.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:19:23 PM by soapit »

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
I don't understand why there's so much hatred towards Zootopia.

You have exclusive access to all of the albums, pictures, videos, blogs, interviews, and articles. Apart from that you get a forum full of beautiful and hot people, opportunities for local meetups and groups, presale codes so that you don't killed by ticketmaster, archived info from early as 2001, and so much other neat stuff that you can find if you dig deep.

Don't stand there expecting the benefit of the membership to come to you, explore the site and capture it.

What is it that you guys want from the subscription so that you can get "more value for your money"!?

Then why do so many people on U2.com state they get more news about U2 from this site then from their official site.  It's because if it isn't "officially" sanctioned by U2 managemnt, it will not be on U2.com.  I get a helluva lot more info about the goings on of various U2 members from this site then U2.com.  This site has much more to offer in the archives on all things U2 going back to their very beginning.  I got better seats on ticketmaster (weird I know) then from U2 presale, and so have others.  They don't tour every year, so is paying $40/$50 every year for a presale code to use every 4 years or so a bargain, not in my book.  I've explored the site and what's there can be found other places on the net.  I don't go to U2 concerts to meet up with anyone and party.  I go with other like minded friends and family I know in the 3D world.  The site advertises membership as receiving 'member exclusive' products, what?   People received damaged Artificial Horizon vinyls, or never got them.  People have problems with the store.  The community of people are fine, but so are they here.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
I don't understand why there's so much hatred towards Zootopia.

You have exclusive access to all of the albums, pictures, videos, blogs, interviews, and articles. Apart from that you get a forum full of beautiful and hot people, opportunities for local meetups and groups, presale codes so that you don't killed by ticketmaster, archived info from early as 2001, and so much other neat stuff that you can find if you dig deep.

Don't stand there expecting the benefit of the membership to come to you, explore the site and capture it.

I do not believe that it is hatred for Zootopia- none was expressed. Here are just a couple complaints that were logged on the petition- The exclusive cd should cover  previously unavailable music. When fanclub presales are launched, there should not have been other presales occurring. In some cases those presales vs the fanclub received better tickets. I was in the first available presale for my location so was able to get good tickets.  However, many were not.  That is a legitimate complaint.  This is where the 'value' for the money comes in.  

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
I don't think we're hating on Zootopia at all.  We would just like U2.com to provide more services to subscribers and not fail at simple tasks like filling orders, posting setlists and sending out fanclub cds that are good again. If you disagree with those points, then don't sign.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
everyone, i've had reports that the website is hitting some people up for non compulsory donations when they sign the petition.

WE ARE DEFINITELY NOT ASKING FOR DONATIONS. DO NOT DONATE MONEY TO THIS PETITION.

i dont know what the story is exactly, i've emailed their contact email so will wait and see but in the meantime just sign, dont donate money.

Offline rantard

• Wanderer
  • vision over visibility
Facebook and Twitter are the way to spread the word about the petition. Over 7 million followers on Facebook. That has to be more than atu2 and U2.com I would think. These sites are for super fans like us.

I just posted the petition link on their Facebook wall.

What about sending a news release to the NY Times, where Bono has been a guest editor? See if he'll respond to this issue in his own article and in his own words.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:51:05 PM by rantard (Boycott Duals) »

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Facebook and Twitter are the way to spread the word about the petition. Over 7 million followers on Facebook. That has to be more than atu2 and U2.com I would think. These sites are for super fans like us.

What about sending a news release to the NY Times, where Bono has been a guest editor? See if he'll respond to this issue in his own article and in his own words.

by all means post links on whatever tweeters you like, the more the merrier. when we were putting it together though i think we agreed that we'd try and handle it in house and keep it between us (u2 fans) and the band and not involve outside media (ny times, rolling stone etc) until later if at all (depending what kind of response we get).

Offline u2faninslc

• Babyface
  • This was my view at the SLC show
I am so happy that the ridiculousness of U2.com is being talked about.  Being a member of U2.com is such a waste.  I just sent this message to U2.com:

"U2.com is fairly useless for anybody who is a big enough fan to pay $50 for access.  Fans who are fanatical enough to pay $50 to be in the club have no need to stream U2's CDs - we own the CDs!  We have the digital files on our computers.  

Also, the fan forum is poorly designed.  I'd much rather use the fan forums on other "real" fan sites.

The annual "gift" (really we all pay for it with our fee) is laughable.  I don't want a remix of a song that already has been released on an album.  Remixes are awful.  Especially since 90% of U2's remixes move into the techno/dance genre.  That's great I guess if you are in Europe, but Americans don't have a taste for techno.

Lastly, and this has nothing to do with being in the fan club, the merchandise on U2.com is so useless. How about a U2 window decal, wallet, jewelry (a ring, e.g.), license plate holder, bicycle jersey (I see Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon ones about once a week on riders in my little city), cups/glasses (not a mug), key chains, koozies, etc.  There is so much more that I'd like to buy in lieu of a t-shirt and a  poster - I'm a grown man, I don't want a U2 poster and wearing a U2 t-shirt works only about once a quarter.  Please get some better merchandise. "  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:42:58 AM by StrongGirl »

Offline Dfit00

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Sing for your sanity
^ I agree, 100% of techno/dance music with its European like is awful.  ::)

If you have ever taken the time to listen and read the reviews to any of the remixed tracks from U2 (by which you also failed to understand that music genres differ and vary in North America and in Europe) you'd have realized that a lot of Americans enjoy the remixed versions of U2, and the overall awful techno/dance music scene touch within them.

Or maybe I should say that 100% of Americans are awful too.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
Guys, looks like we're getting press coverage!!

:o

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
This is great!  I signed the petition.  Hope everyone gets what they want from the fanclub.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:38:48 AM by Inishfree »

Offline rantard

• Wanderer
  • vision over visibility

by all means post links on whatever tweeters you like, the more the merrier. when we were putting it together though i think we agreed that we'd try and handle it in house and keep it between us (u2 fans) and the band and not involve outside media (ny times, rolling stone etc) until later if at all (depending what kind of response we get).

Sounds good. I'm just proud of being part of the movement. Someone should record a song on youtube with revised lyrics about this issue to the tune of various U2 songs...

i.e. I can't believe the dues I pay, I gave my 50 and they stole it all away!

streetmission

Wow, this thing pretty much exploded the past four days!  Four days ago I checked and they were barely 200 signatures.  Now there are over 800! :D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Music website Spinner has caught our petition:

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
Wow over 900 signatures!