Author Topic: The u2.com petition is here; The Fanclub is a Cannibal - u2.com, fans need more  (Read 18003 times)

Offline MelicansMatkin

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Matkin from U2Gigs
On the paid side, Baja says that she had a conversation with the U2.com admin and is expecting positive steps to be taken. On another note, over 1100 signatures now.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
thats good news mel. additionally they have posted a comment here. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login which makes a couple of minor quibbles to the content of the petition (in contradiction to our unscientifically collected anecdotal evidence) but the tone is generally positive and sounds promising.

they are also make a slight attempt at defending duals based on 1. people putting alot of work into it, 2. in their words "And it's fair to say that if you've been following the band continually since the very early days, you might have collected these tracks, but for everyone else, there's some great music here"

my thoughts on this
1. its always hard receiving negative feedback to your work but it can help you in the long run and i think its fair to say they didnt have had to work as hard as they would have if they didnt stick all those already released tracks on there
2., do they really expect a u2.com subsrcriber to not own most of the albums, even ones released prior to them becoming a fan, and significant proportion of itunes released tracks?  this seems a little naive actually especially in this day and age of easy access to music?

but yes the tone was pretty good in the post so i am mildly hopeful to see what happens. however we must keep in mind that nothing has actually changed yet so we should continue on with the petition and forward to the top level management when we are ready, just as we were before

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Tone was good but asserting you have to follow U2 continuously to gain access to some of these tracks is ludicrous, particularly the album tracks. I can walk to my local HMV and buy the albums with those tracks right now or open iTunes and purchase those songs in 2 minutes.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
I am happy to see that they are going to look into the issues.  The financial side of me just ran the #s on IF the current # of people who have signed the petition were to leave because of these reasons the loss in revenue would be up t0 $59K at this point in time.  That is not a # to sneeze at.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Right now, U2.com isn't going to do anything. They're just covering themselves up.

Offline markmrf

• Stranger in a Strange Land
I already signed it. And ....  It got me thinking so I made another of my own. I prefer the old-school U2 sound from the Joshua Tree era, and I get a little irritated with them "reinventing" their sound instead of sticking with the sound that made them famous. I also wasn't too happy with "No Line" either. So. I made a petition.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you agree sign it. If not. Well then let's all be nice and not start a flame war. We'll agree to disagree and be honest-to-god grownups about it. I knew I could count on you all. Thanks. Mark.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
I am happy to see that they are going to look into the issues.  The financial side of me just ran the #s on IF the current # of people who have signed the petition were to leave because of these reasons the loss in revenue would be up t0 $59K at this point in time.  That is not a # to sneeze at.

It is to U2. Should this get any traction in the general music media, that would be something they would want to avoid...thus the quick response that they are looking into it. They are a very PR-savvy organization.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide

It is to U2. Should this get any traction in the general music media, that would be something they would want to avoid...thus the quick response that they are looking into it. They are a very PR-savvy organization.
I agree that individual # is probablty paltry to them, but that is just the renewal fee-and within 5 days from start of the petition only. Actually this type a situation is a PR person's nightmare- which would be why they would want to address this right away- but then again 5 days is a pretty long time to wait to respond to this situation.

Offline pao6cs

• Babyface
The U2.com response didn't do a thing for me.  There's no real response for Duals.  There are no real actions being taken.  It's all just words at this point.  We need to keep the pressure on them.  Investigation is not enough.  Action is needed.

Offline Voxare

• Numb
The U2.com response didn't do a thing for me.  There's no real response for Duals.  There are no real actions being taken.  It's all just words at this point.  We need to keep the pressure on them.  Investigation is not enough.  Action is needed.
Sure it's all just words at this point but you have to actually give them a chance to back it up with actions - these things take time - you can't expect to log on tomorrow and have everything be fantastic. I agree that the response they wrote isn't really good enough and I'm all for keeping up the pressure but keep in mind that action will take time.

Offline pao6cs

• Babyface
Sure it's all just words at this point but you have to actually give them a chance to back it up with actions - these things take time - you can't expect to log on tomorrow and have everything be fantastic. I agree that the response they wrote isn't really good enough and I'm all for keeping up the pressure but keep in mind that action will take time.

Sorry, it's been a few weeks since Duals blew up.  They have had enough time.  This is a pitiful response.

Offline Voxare

• Numb

Sorry, it's been a few weeks since Duals blew up.  They have had enough time.  This is a pitiful response.

I think this has gone well beyond duals. I think the petition has finally got their attention but it's been less than a week since that was posted so the response is a good start (I mean I think it missed the point in some parts and in others they are just kidding themselves but the fact that they have responded is a good start) and hopefully we start seeing some action very soon.

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
1,205 have signed.  They responded so more people wouldn't sign it probably  ::)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
response to u2.com message on behalf of the people that put the petition together (sent to u2.com admin and posted on the u2.com thread - please circulate around the other forums if ur able)

'Dear U2.comTeam,

We appreciate your respectful and generally positive tone in response to the petition and look forward to seeing any changes that are in store. However until such time as something concrete actually happens the petition will be continuing as before.'

so keep on signing folks, the petition still wants/needs you.

Offline missbigkiss

• Stateless
They haven't understood us.
They don't want to change anything.
Disapointed ! :(

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:48:44 AM by missbigkiss »