Author Topic: u2 confirmed to headline Glastonbury  (Read 11134 times)

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
Re: u2 confirmed to headline Glastonbury
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
We all know that they're going to open with 'Miami' so why is there even a debate :) :) :)

I've been trying to figure out how long the set will be. Going by Muse last year, they played 18 songs. 15 and then a 3 song encore (which included THE EDGE!!!). Those 18 songs are often followed by riffs/jams that sometimes last just as long as the song just played, and Knights Of Cydonia lasted 10 minutes. Because U2 don't play any extra riffs I expect them to be able to play 22-24 songs, definetely no more. There will only be one encore though so a 4 song encore after 18-19 song main set. As long as In A Little While, Scarlet and Walk On aren't played which I really can't see, there is plenty of room for the hits and hopefully new albums tracks, and possibly rarities. Then they may still have time for a 10 minute version of Bad which could include all the snippets the B man could dream of.

Also, the South America setlists are now a lot more interesting. If they play a few different songs or rehearse different tracks it will probably be in connection to what they want to do at Glasto.

I'm so excited but it's still months away.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
Remember this is a festival crowd, not, a U2 crowd.

I expect U2 will just do a greatest hits setlist, and thats just what the 140,000 plus crowd will be happy with.

Still, it's great to see they are finally doing a festival.
It's been 26 years since they last played a full set at a festival, which was at Wercheter in July 1985.

Some great pictures of Glastonbury 2010 here, giving a great flavour of te festival.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
Those of you who think U2 WON'T perform "Glastonbury" at Glastonbury are pants-on-head insane.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
Those of you who think U2 WON'T perform "Glastonbury" at Glastonbury are pants-on-head insane.

Agreed.   Unless it's called Spiderbury by then.   

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2011, 11:41:45 AM »

Droo - I'm there (I hope!!)

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:02 PM »
Spiderbury  :D :D :D

Their lead single will be called 'Spiderman FTW' and instead of 'Edge was on fire' it'll be 'Edge's spidey sense was tingling'.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
u2 opening with streets would be the biggest blunder imaginable. the crowd would go wild, yes, but then it would be all downhill for most of the neutrals after that. they need to save it until the last portion of the show to keep the crowd waiting in anticipation for it, not give the crowd an excuse to leave 1/3 of the way through the set because: "they've played streets already, let's leave".

I think the young crowd won't even know the song to be honest. I think it would be incredibly exciting if they played streets first. A real glastonbury moment. I heard a rumour of it starting their proposed show last year.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »
Spiderbury  :D :D :D

Their lead single will be called 'Spiderman FTW' and instead of 'Edge was on fire' it'll be 'Edge's spidey sense was tingling'.

LOL. Awesome!

Offline Twilight

• Babyface
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2011, 03:34:52 PM »

I expect U2 will just do a greatest hits setlist, and thats just what the 140,000 plus crowd will be happy with.

It's been 26 years since they last played a full set at a festival, which was at Wercheter in July 1985.

Some great pictures of Glastonbury 2010 here, giving a great flavour of te festival.

Those pictures are fantastic.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2011, 03:49:29 PM »

It will be interesting to see if that song has undergone any changes since last summer. Even if not, it will be great to finally hear it in good quality!

Although, i seriously doubt they'll open with Glastonbury. Firstly, it's hardly been played, and they're clearly going to play something well known to get the audience pumped, like beautiful day, or, if successful (and existing), a new single. Secondly, knowing Bono, he's clearly going to want to introduce Glastonbury (the song), explaining how it's a tribute or whatever. And they sure as hell won't open the performance with that speech.

I'm also with you other guys who think opening with streets is a bad idea. It's like the climax of every show. It's what the crowd are waiting for. I'm betting u2 will be aiming to build up the show to a high, not have it be a come-down after the opener.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 03:57:45 PM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2011, 04:12:38 PM »

WOW.   No wonder they wrote a song in its honor.   

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
I hear that Edge has sprained his beard - GLASTONBURY CANCELLED!

Zooropa Baby Pop? You know the band I love!! Screw the dull-Ar**d black and white era - U2 are at their best combining Euro-intellectualism with LSD!

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »

!!!!

Someone needs to sit them down and make them realise this is there most crucial gig since Live Aid.

They need to prove that behind all the staging and huge claw they are still a great band who can still produce great music.

To hell with sunday bloody sunday, replace it with Mercy and replace I Still Havent Found with something like All My Life.

If they play a greatest hits setlist they will be forever known as outdated.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
I dont think it's their most critical gig.... Calm down... I think a greatest hits is a wiser choice in a mixed environment where they have less actual fans and more casual observers.

Offline poliglotta

• Stateless
  • Time won't take the boy out of this man.
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »

I'm also with you other guys who think opening with streets is a bad idea. It's like the climax of every show. It's what the crowd are waiting for. I'm betting u2 will be aiming to build up the show to a high, not have it be a come-down after the opener.

The best opening to any concert I ever saw was when U2 opened to "City of Blinding Lights" on the Vertigo tour.