Author Topic: Why Don't Some So-called "Fans" Want Commercial Success For U2?  (Read 9234 times)

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
Re: Why Don't Some So-called "Fans" Want Commercial Success For U2?
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2009, 11:34:38 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where did you get those statistics from?

You can usually pick them up on forums, biogs and other such places. U2byU2 alludes to sales for some of these albums, including Pop where they quote a 7m figure.

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2009, 02:05:52 AM »
Pop songs are not even played live anymore.......

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2009, 02:28:04 AM »
Doesn't mean they are bad.  ::)

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2009, 02:42:51 AM »
Some good tunes, but the songs dont get played b/c there are 20 better songs

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 02:52:38 AM »
I'm gonna predict that they'll dust off a few popmart tunes for the next tour. It's not simply that they're not good enough, it's hard to mix many of them with their other work. Same goes for Zooropa.

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2009, 02:54:40 AM »
I can see them play Gone, but that is about it. The rumor is they are going to be playing alot of the TUF stuff..... Hope that is true!!

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2009, 08:21:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
POP was a commercial failure and their worst selling album since October.  Yet, these so-called fans praise it to the high heavens and claim ATYCLB cannot stand the test of time.  Just look how quickly POP vanished from the charts, and then how long ATYCLB stayed in the charts - including a return to the top 20 over a year after it was first released thanks to the Grammy push, 9/11 connection, and Superbowl appearance.  POP disappeared after its first week.

Cheers,

J

Dude, with all civility, I really think you have a lot of nerve to continue refering to fans who like Pop as "so-called fans". I am a massive U2 fan, I have been since I bought my first U2 record...Pop! Its a deep, complex record and all that, thats all been said but my point is that I would have thought that anyone with any sense can tell that just because something sells, doesnt make it good. There are countless examples of this throughout music history. I am one of those who thinks that according to that rationale the last two albums were "safe", "back to basics" albums that were guaranteed to sell to the widest possible palette whereas with something like Zooropa or Pop they were taking musical chances and risks and being generally very very creative; that mentality is just not apparent anwhere on the last album and only sparingly on ATYCLB.

So please do not assume that you are somehow more of a fan that anyone else and that, basically, sales do not necessarily equate quality / substance of the music.