Author Topic: question about u2 live  (Read 2647 times)

Offline markinnl

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man like Edge needs a handicam
question about u2 live
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
When it comes to seeing u2 live, does it mean something that it's just the 4 of them?
I've seen rem live a few times, and it doesn't bother me they usually have two or three touring musicians to fill the sound. i still see rem as michael stipe, mike mills, & peter buck.

does it bother anyone that they usually have backing tracks or some hidden musician playing additional music fill?

I personally think there is something to be said about it just being the 4 of them on stage.
but, sometimes a song sounds a little thin with no backing track or keyboards.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: question about u2 live
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When it comes to seeing u2 live, does it mean something that it's just the 4 of them?
I've seen rem live a few times, and it doesn't bother me they usually have two or three touring musicians to fill the sound. i still see rem as michael stipe, mike mills, & peter buck.

does it bother anyone that they usually have backing tracks or some hidden musician playing additional music fill?

I personally think there is something to be said about it just being the 4 of them on stage.

The song is a little too thin without those backing tracks or keyboards.

But U2 deserve the stage to themselves and should not share it with other musicians for those "extra" and "non-essential but good filler" sounds.

So the current setup they do for their concerts (musicians backstage) is just about right.

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »

On the Lovetown tour there was a drummer off to the side helping out on Desire.

There's also a keyboard system set up under the stage

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:26:21 PM by JuniorEmblem »

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »
There are additional guitars and/or keyboards coming from under the stage during a live show.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »
Of course Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois can't follow them everywhere to provide the sound; Eno is an in-demand producer and Lanois is a succefull artist in his own right.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »
My whole belief system has now been shattered! LOL I'm only joking

It makes sense for them to have backing tracks!

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
It doesn't bother me about extra musicians under the stage.  A lot of those sounds require additional keyboards and other stuff and The Edge already has about fifthy thousand pedals to work with. 

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »
They also had BB King & backing singers (Claudia & Sofie) for the encore section (Love Rescue Me, When Love Comes To Town) on the Love Town tour.

This definitely added to the music, if you dont believe me, listen to Love Rescue Me on the New Years Eve Point Depot show or better still pick up a bootleg copy of one of the other Point Depot 1989 shows (the first one 12/26.89) is the best, and IMHO the version of Love Rescue Me is THE definitive version of this song - simply OUTSTANDING!

However, yes, I agree. U2 as a four piece playing rock n roll on a stage is the way to go, but the way some of their songs and shows are structured, they need a liittle help, so to speak  :)

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 03:16:50 PM »
It is traditional these days for bands to have many musicians playing the music that you never see or know about.

every band does it.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:17:26 PM »
ever since watching popmart, i just assumed everything else was all pre-planned and pre-recorded

streetmission

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »
Don't have a problem with it at all.  The only problem I'd have is they went Milli Vanilli at a show, if you get my drift.

I just realized that the Milli Vanilli reference might be missed by some people on this board.  Makes me feel old! ;)

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
in fact the whole concert is pre-recorded (in some way) except Bono's vocals.

that is why the boys have ear-pieces.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:51:52 PM by Bono in Bonolands »

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
I agree with most of you here for me it is ok for them to have extra hands that we don't see, to give us the sound we have come to know and love.  Plus at most of the shows I have been to, they usually do a couple songs stripped down with just the four of them where they come over to the B stage making it more intimate.

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 04:21:53 PM »
in fact the whole concert is pre-recorded (in some way) except Bono's vocals.

that is why the boys have ear-pieces.

That's not true. There are some backing tracks for many songs, but to say the "whole concert" is prerecorded sort of overstates the fact.

Also, the earpieces are monitors so the band can hear what they are playing. Their amplifiers are not actually that loud, but run through a PA system that faces the audience. Many bands use earpieces for monitors.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:30:39 PM by CiscoJP »

luieu2

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »
when i have gone to  u2 concerts, I'm in awe of how awsome they sound and i love the acoustic versions of there songs .i cant fault them they are simply brilliant live. ;)