Poll

Is ATYCLB a "Masterpiece" up there with AB and JT ??

Yeah, well, duh......everyone knows that
26 (43.3%)
No way dude
34 (56.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: ATYCLB - Everyone's opinion  (Read 9724 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Re: ATYCLB - Everyone's opinion
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »
I've always liked ATYCLB and I think it contains some of the band's best work (Walk On, Beautiful Day, Kite, Stuck In A Moment).

I think the second-half is actually a grower. New York took some time to catch on with me but now it's one of my favorites on the album. Grace is really fantastic and I love the message and gentle pace of the song, while Wild Honey is just fun and upbeat. And of course, When I Look At the End just rocks and features some great work from Edge. ;D

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 10:17:14 PM »
A couple of great songs....and a couple of ordinary ones.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 10:31:37 PM »
Well, ATYCLB has always been special to me because it's the album that was everywhere when I first got into them when I was just barely a preteen. And I agree that Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and IALW are truly epic. And I really love WILATW...that spatial guitar gets me every time. But I wasn't too fond of Grace or Wild Honey.

So, compared to The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, where every single song resonates with me in some way, it's not in the same league per se. But it's got some gems and it's up there (definitely a million times better, in my opinion, than HTDAAB!) =D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:14:42 PM by abloodredsky »

Offline pilgrimtogo

• Numb
  • ALL THE SECRETS, NO ONE TO TELL
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 12:57:09 AM »
My favorite tracks on ATYCLB is Wild Honey ( Dono why its Larry least favorite!) I fint it so uplifting.. not typical U2, but.. man .. so lekke to sing along!
When I look at the world - When you really feel like crying, this one brings it on. Dono why.
Kite - Absolutely stunning song.
In general, this band always delivers, they always satisfy me with whatever they do.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 03:22:11 AM »
It's a very good, solid album. Not quite a masterpiece but was great at what it was supposed to be, getting U2 back on top after those damn people couldn't understand Pop.  >:(

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 03:55:56 AM »
I love ATYCLB, i actually agree with Jick in saying that it was a heavily loaded albulm, however JT was a bit heavier i would put ATYCLB in front of AB. somone mentioned war, i have not heard u2 play seconds live in years or like a song, or drowning man, AB even better than the real thing, or  horses i have not heard a lot of, i put my fav albulms as 1, TUF, ATYCLB, JT, HTDAB, then AB.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jesus, HTDAAB got the grammy for Album of the Year, but Achtung Baby didn't. I do not need telling that something is not quite right here.

It basically means HTDAAB did not have tough competition.  Its sort of like basketball, Jordan only won his rings when Magic and Bird were at the twilight of their careers and when NBA went into expansion and league talent was watered down.  Achtung had much stiffer competition than HTDAAB.

Cheers,

J

andyt

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »

To be fair, although the whole of side 2 is poor, side 1 has 'Kite' on it which is fantastic by anyone's standards...

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
Jesus, HTDAAB got the grammy for Album of the Year, but Achtung Baby didn't. I do not need telling that something is not quite right here.
Achtung had much stiffer competition than HTDAAB.

Achtung lost to a smoldering ox turd by the name of "Tears in Heaven", hardly tough competition.

Grammies are irrelevant to art. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

streetmission

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2009, 09:11:41 AM »
Its U2's coffee table album.

That said, It still contains Walk On and Kite - 2 absolute Mothers!!!

Great description!  I think it's best described as U2's most accessible album.  In fact I tend to put it on when I can't decide what type of U2 mood I'm in.  My favorites on the album (in no particular order) are:  Walk On, Kite, Grace, Wild Honey, and When I Look at the World.  (Note:  You're all probably horrified I didn't list "Beautiful Day".  Sorry, but I HATED it when it first came out and while I like it now it's not one of my favorites).

Achtung had much stiffer competition than HTDAAB.

Achtung lost to a smoldering ox turd by the name of "Tears in Heaven", hardly tough competition.

Grammies are irrelevant to art. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Actually, AB lost to Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" album (which does contain "Tears In Heaven").  Not only that, but Clapton won Best Rock Song for "Layla" from "Unplugged" as well.  A complete joke.  It's not even rock; the songs on the album are unplugged blues numbers. ::)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2009, 09:47:47 AM »

It basically means HTDAAB did not have tough competition.  Its sort of like basketball, Jordan only won his rings when Magic and Bird were at the twilight of their careers and when NBA went into expansion and league talent was watered down.  Achtung had much stiffer competition than HTDAAB.

Cheers,

J

Fair comment. But the Album and song that Achtung Baby and The Fly lost out to were not worthy winners.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2009, 09:56:21 AM »

Cheers,

J

Fair comment. But the Album and song that Achtung Baby and The Fly lost out to were not worthy winners.

Here's the so-called "tough competition"

* Ingenue performed by k.d. lang
    * Diva performed by Annie Lennox
    * Unplugged performed by Eric Clapton
    * Beauty and the Beast: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack performed by Various Artists

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
I like it. It feels a bit like a JT for 2000. Only not as good. However it put U2 back at the top again. A position they had fallen off from in the late 90's. It's their first album since turning 40 and refuses to sound tired.

BD is a great anthem. 'Stuck' is a good melodic song. 'Elevation' is strong. 'Walk On' sounds like something Simple Minds would have been proud of in the 80's. 'Kite' is the fifth song in a row that is great. It goes downhill after that, however finishes strongly with 'WILATW'.  'Ground' is the perfect ending.

We only had to wait three years for it as well  !

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:59 PM »
While the second half of the album isn't as strong as the first half, When I Look At The World is as good as anything on the first half, possibly excluding Walk On.  Peace On Earth and the Ground Beneath Her Feet are both superb as well.  And if an album is judged on how strong its halves are, the Joshua Tree's second half is weaker than its first half as well.  The only U2 albums I'd say that are equally strong on both halves are Boy, Achtung Baby, and Atomic Bomb.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »
Love this album. One of my favorites.  8)