Author Topic: How U2 can NAIL Glastonbury - thoughts  (Read 4691 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: How U2 can NAIL Glastonbury - thoughts
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 04:11:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
simple : show up, play HITS HITS HITS HITS and no Bs. That's what'll work - Glastonbury will go down in history as the defining U2 moment for this period of their career, and probably the single biggest individual performance in terms of profile and expsoure, outside of Live Aid / Live 8, in their lives.

lolwtfomgbbq, are you kidding?!!

attn: almost nobody outside the UK even knows Glastonbury exists. fact.

...and now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

#@!

Fact? Prove it. In world profile for festivals, Glastonbury is regarded by many as THE festival to play. Only Woodstock is larger in profile, and there hasn't been one of those for a  long time. Glastonbury is the first time since around 1984 U2 will play a full length set at a multi-artist festival in the world. The set will also be broadcast live on international television. I'm fairly sure in a decade from now U2 at Glastonbury 2011 will achieve the same kind of stature as Slane 2001 or Zoo TV Sydney or Lovetown Dublin has now.

Actually, in fairness, I had never heard of Glastonbury until U2 was supposed to be involved in it last year...

Ditto

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
If you want to live by ignoring the longest-running festival in the history of the planet (running consistently since 1970 with very occasional years off), and if you want to think that a festival that regularly has 120,000-200,000 attendees every year, and is broadcast on television and radio internationally, is something you've never heard of, better crawl out of that rock. I don't care a jot for major sports events like The World Cup, but even I know these these things exist.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »
If you want to live by ignoring the longest-running festival in the history of the planet (running consistently since 1970 with very occasional years off), and if you want to think that a festival that regularly has 120,000-200,000 attendees every year, and is broadcast on television and radio internationally, is something you've never heard of, better crawl out of that rock. I don't care a jot for major sports events like The World Cup, but even I know these these things exist.

No need to get a sore butt about it. I'm just saying in America, most Americans don't care or know about Glastonbury (nor will any band/artist "bad" performance affect their popularity). BTW comparing the WC and Glastonbury is ridiculous as they are two totally different things.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »
2/3rds of Americans don't have a passport and never leave the country, so I'm not necessarily surprised by the fact it's not heard of outside of the only country that matters. Or for that matter, that plenty of people think their country is the only one that anything important ever happens in. I'm reminded of some fool describing the entire 1st stadium leg of 360 in Europe as "warm up shows".

Boom Cha!

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
They'll "nail" it by just performing the hell out of their songs (hits and/or nonhits).

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
They'll "nail" it by just performing the hell out of their songs (hits and/or nonhits).
this

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »
If you want to live by ignoring the longest-running festival in the history of the planet (running consistently since 1970 with very occasional years off), and if you want to think that a festival that regularly has 120,000-200,000 attendees every year, and is broadcast on television and radio internationally, is something you've never heard of, better crawl out of that rock.

2/3rds of Americans don't have a passport and never leave the country, so I'm not necessarily surprised by the fact it's not heard of outside of the only country that matters. Or for that matter, that plenty of people think their country is the only one that anything important ever happens in. I'm reminded of some fool describing the entire 1st stadium leg of 360 in Europe as "warm up shows".

Calm down. I have a passport and have traveled internationally. However, I also had not heard of Glastonbury until U2 was involved.

I've never once heard about it on the radio. Do you travel through the U.S. and hear broadcasts of Glastonbury everywhere you go?

I have seen clips on TV, but only very recently thanks to a new music channel on cable called Palladia. I doubt many people have it.

It's not anyone's fault they haven't heard of it. No one is living under a rock. There's just absolutely no reason for a music festival, that takes place on the other side of a freaking ocean of all things, to get media coverage in the U.S.

I don't care a jot for major sports events like The World Cup, but even I know these these things exist.

The World Cup is just a wee bit different, don't you think?

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
If you want to live by ignoring the longest-running festival in the history of the planet (running consistently since 1970 with very occasional years off), and if you want to think that a festival that regularly has 120,000-200,000 attendees every year, and is broadcast on television and radio internationally, is something you've never heard of, better crawl out of that rock.

Calm down. I have a passport and have traveled internationally. However, I also had not heard of Glastonbury until U2 was involved.

I've never once heard about it on the radio. Do you travel through the U.S. and hear broadcasts of Glastonbury everywhere you go?

I have seen clips on TV, but only very recently thanks to a new music channel on cable called Palladia. I doubt many people have it.

It's not anyone's fault they haven't heard of it. No one is living under a rock. There's just absolutely no reason for a music festival, that takes place on the other side of a freaking ocean of all things, to get media coverage in the U.S.

I don't care a jot for major sports events like The World Cup, but even I know these these things exist.

Thank You. (and congrats on 1000th post)

Offline poliglotta

• Stateless
  • Time won't take the boy out of this man.
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »

Oh please don't get me started!!

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

I, too, have a passport and have traveled to Europe, and had never heard of Glastonbury before this.  Just saying.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 04:32:03 PM »
I can't believe anyone who takes music seriously hasn't heard of it. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just saying.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 05:35:34 PM »
I can't believe anyone who takes music seriously hasn't heard of it. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just saying.

See my comment above and give a better reason than, "0.003% of the world population attends, so if you haven't heard of it you're an idiot."

Since you assume all Americans are selfish, I'll go ahead and assume all British people are pretentious aholes with a "holier than thou" attitude that would embarrass even Jesus.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »

:D

And some people say Americans lack a sense of humour.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »

I, too, have a passport and have traveled to Europe, and had never heard of Glastonbury before this.  Just saying.

What did you think of the capital of Europe?   When you were there did you visit the Palace of the King of Europe?

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

Just saying.

See my comment above and give a better reason than, "0.003% of the world population attends, so if you haven't heard of it you're an idiot."

Since you assume all Americans are selfish, I'll go ahead and assume all British people are pretentious aholes with a "holier than thou" attitude that would embarrass even Jesus.

When I bump into him, no doubt he'll tell me TRHE EDGE IS ON FIRE.

You're taking all this far too seriously. I never said all Americans are selfish.