Author Topic: How U2 can NAIL Glastonbury - thoughts  (Read 4689 times)

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
Re: How U2 can NAIL Glastonbury - thoughts
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I, too, have a passport and have traveled to Europe, and had never heard of Glastonbury before this.  Just saying.

What did you think of the capital of Europe?   When you were there did you visit the Palace of the King of Europe?

Not only did I visit the Palace but actually met the King of Europe himself.  He seemed pleaseant enough although his suit was ill fitting and his breath reeked of Bass Ale.  When he tried to sell me his Spiderman tickets I got disgusted and left.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: How U2 can NAIL Glastonbury - thoughts
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2011, 02:05:56 AM »
Having been to the festival several times and seen some really headline slots in recent years, without blowing my own trumpet, I feel I am better equipped than a lot on here to make judgement on what will make a connection to the Glasto crowd/world.

Quite a fanfare!

- Bono needs to lose some weight.  He looks a bit like a fat darts player at the moment, needs to drop a stone or two and get in top shape for arguably U2's biggest gig in a long time.

Very few would notice if Bono had a paunch, certainly nobody beyond the first few rows (who will prob be hardcore U2 fans), and even less would care. I don't think the Glasto crowd are so judgemental about people's appearance and weight.

- Need to refresh the setlist - in my eyes they have been 'phoning' it in on recent gigs, with a stale static setlist.  Any setlist containing Vertigo, Elevation and Get On Yer Boots is just woeful.

Which recent shows were phoned in? They have had static setlists though.

- Bono needs to let the music talk and not preach about Spiderman musical or some such nonsense

Glastonbury is one festival in the UK where preaching about issues *will* be acceptable, although Spiderman probably isn't a major issue for most attendees. Check the huge banners for charities adorning the stage, and the stalls immediately beside it. Plenty of videos by Oxfam and Water Aid and Greenpeace are shown on the screens between acts. Occasional speeches are made from the stage between acts. I think people would be more surprised if Bono *didn't* make a wee speech about Aung San Suu Kyi and buying drugs for HIV sufferers in Africa. They'll take it as part of the U2 live experience, and they'll cheer it too because they'll be part of that magical, positive, Friday-night-at-Glasto party mood.

- Not mess around swirling cameras round in his face - really feel the music and be natural

Big deal. Not an issue.

- Play a good set.....

Great advice :)