Author Topic: Message from U2.COM  (Read 15701 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Re: Message from U2.COM
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
for me i actually don't find it too bad, a little defensive perhaps but generally respectful. i dont think we ever thought they were going to fix things in a week. but yet they wouldnt have wanted to be silent on it for too long so they were on a bit of a hiding to nothing. so this is for me the "ok we're aware youre making some noise and we might look into doing something to sort it".

it was always going to happen early on in the petition but it doesnt really mean anything.  the petition is continuing as before and we havent got very far into things yet so we'll just keep moving along as we planned (as much as there is a plan anyway). i think we'd be getting ahead of ourselves to go into "phase 2" of the petition at this point.

i'm not trying to tell individuals not to respond to this whichever way they want of course. if anyone wants to do something personally or organise anything else in conjunction then go for it and i'll likely sign on with it too (if i agree). just saying where this all fits in with respect to the petition from my viewpoint.

we will be sending them a response on behalf of the petition shortly which i believe will roughyl be outlining that its nice they've heard us but as nothing has actually changed on their end at this point, the petition carries on as before.

my personal thoughts on some of the u2.com response (copied from another thread)

they make a slight attempt at defending duals based on 1. people putting alot of work into it, 2. in their words "And it's fair to say that if you've been following the band continually since the very early days, you might have collected these tracks, but for everyone else, there's some great music here"

my thoughts on this
1. its always hard receiving negative feedback to your work but it can help you in the long run and i think its fair to say they didnt have had to work as hard as they would have if they didnt stick all those already released tracks on there
2., do they really expect a u2.com subsrcriber to not own most of the albums, even ones released prior to them becoming a fan, and significant proportion of itunes released tracks?  this seems a little naive actually especially in this day and age of easy access to music?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:40:18 PM by soapit »

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
And now a message from U2.com:

"Dear fans,

F--- YOU!!!!

-U2.com"

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 07:47:25 PM »
Just like others have already said, U2.com basically is just covering themselves on this one.

They don't just want to ignore it completely because it'll make them look bad, so instead they decided to just make a post bascially saying "We understand that your annoyed with the lack of benefits etc., and for now we will see what we can do." And they expect that this would boil off eventually.

That's why this has to keep going.

The more attention we get, the more they'll give.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 09:15:01 PM »
Just read this again and I have to say it reeks of that first speech Hosni Mubarak gave.  Paternalistic, out of touch and not promising anything.  It stinks of lets try and shut them up as quick as possible. They tried to hide it away in the forums and then locked the thread so no-one could actually respond to what they're saying. 

I agree with Mid, we need to keep this going.  Getting it out to Rolling Stone or a larger site than Spinner would be a great.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
I think soapit is right though-whatever the tone of the letter, we have to wait and see if they actually do anything. Continue the petition but don't launch the membership boycott yet. It wouldn't be fair to pull the rug out from under them so early in the process.

But if they don't do anything in a month or two....by all means...
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And then U2.com will be crying to LiveNation:
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

:D

I am glad they responded at least, whatever the reason. Now let's see if they have any balls to do anything about it.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was so hoping for a better repsonse from them, this was pretty much an insult as mentioned-
Didn't Adam's bro Sebastian Clayton originally set up their web-site? Let's tweet the boy!

Just remember that during the Vertigo tour fuss, Sebastian Clayton was the one who went on Irish radio and said the site was fine and that people were complaining about nothing. Having never met the man in person, I cannot judge him, but in the interview at least he came off as very patronizing and flippant.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
response to u2.com message on behalf of the people that put the petition together (sent to u2.com admin and posted on the u2.com thread - please circulate around the other forums if ur able)

'Dear U2.comTeam,

We appreciate your respectful and generally positive tone in response to the petition and look forward to seeing any changes that are in store. However until such time as something concrete actually happens the petition will be continuing as before.'

so keep on signing folks, the petition still wants/needs you.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2011, 11:53:22 PM »
speaking for myself again now,

as far as being hamstrung with having to get news confirmed, how hard is it if one of the band or paul m make a statement to give them a call on their cellphone and say "did you say the album is almost done? can we post it?". they must have their numbers. you've just gotta be proactive about it and not just wait for them to feed you releases. not every little detail but new album news and other big stuff.

maybe then they'd also realise the impact of these off hand remarks they make.

Offline Utwoed

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Being ridiculous is something I hold dear
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 01:10:08 AM »
If you do a search on Google or Bing for 'U2 Fan Club Petition', there's a lot of radio stations around the U.S, a couple of smaller music sites, blogs, etc. that have picked up the story about the petition.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2011, 01:16:22 AM »
What a post from U2.com! More deception and "skirting-the-issue" from the U2.com team.  Does U2 even know what is going on?  Perhaps someone needs to find a way to let Mullen into this.

Cheers,

J

Offline tihach

• Refugee
  • Oh baby! <3
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
Man, Larry would be pi**ed if he was fully aware of this...

In fact, can we just fire the current staff and put him in charge?
That would be awesome! :D   I want Larry's response and Bono's :D ... not this one U2.comTeam provided :P

And like Monicalea said: I think they completely forgot just who U2 fans are. Like the band member themselves, we are involved types who live to protest and champion a good cause. I think that's what I find most insulting.
I agree 100% Die hard fans are people who support also band members (Bono's especially) nonmusical activities and do not only listen and enjoy their music.
Like Bono said: Don't lie down. Get up!
We are just doing that, 'cause U2.com is laying down...or should I better say is sleeping ::)

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2011, 03:07:42 AM »
I find that response cynical, condescending and insulting.

Add to that "defensive". My strongest impression was that they were offended that we didn't like the offer.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2011, 03:12:02 AM »
ok, so u2.com isn't very well run. i'm not a subscribing member so perhaps it isn't high on my list of priorities.

the reason i'm not a member is because i don't see the point in wanting MORE from u2. i've all their albums and dvd's. i can download any bootleg gig from u2start.com. why would i want live streaming of a gig if i can freely download umteen hundred live versions of a song from a variety of other sites? ok, duals was cr*p. big deal. don't pay your subscription.

as for tickets for gigs, there are plenty of good tickets available from other places, where most of the rest of u2 fans acquire them.

many here are in danger of sounding like spoilt little children, "i want, i want, i want". give it a rest, what did you all expect, free cd's of unused studio material or something?

u2 are a band, they release music, we buy it, that's how it works. how many versions of live u2 songs do we really need?

it's quite sad that a petition has come out of all this, are there not more important issues we can start petitions about in the world? Rather than "i'm not getting what i want or deserve from u2.com, let's put our energies into haranging the staff there".

how about petitioning against governments around the world for letting bankers off the hook after the mess they've left the world in, or governments for not sticking to their promises in relation to africa?

there are some things worth using time and energy for, and haranging u2.com for being stingey isn't one of them imo.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:51:42 AM by miami »

Offline silvrlvr

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Three things I need you to know -- three!
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »
I didn't realize Paul McG was on @U2. Welcome, Paul!

U2.com fans have paid money on the expectation that they get something others can't get - the news first, priority ticket sales, a bonus CD. When it turns out that their money got them nothing extra, they have a right to feel cheated or at least misled.
The response is condescending and reflects why so many people who are not diehards sneer at U2.
Sad if things have gotten so bad inside the organization that this is the way they talk to their most loyal supporters.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:01 AM »
I didn't realize Paul McG was on @U2. Welcome, Paul!

U2.com fans have paid money on the expectation that they get something others can't get - the news first, priority ticket sales, a bonus CD. When it turns out that their money got them nothing extra, they have a right to feel cheated or at least misled.
The response is condescending and reflects why so many people who are not diehards sneer at U2.
Sad if things have gotten so bad inside the organization that this is the way they talk to their most loyal supporters.

i've been a harsh critic of u2 on these threads many times, as others here will testify. i just can't believe fans thought by subscribing to u2.com they were gonna get anything ultra-special. what music do you want u2.com to release, when almost EVERYTHING they've done is free to download on other free sites? what more do you want that isn't already available?

if it's u2 over-kill you want, then i for one won't be sympathetic. it strikes me as bordering on obsessiveness whenever a fan isn't satisfied with what's already available on the net.

as for the ticketing, if promises have been broken, then that's a fair point, but it's not the end of the world, as us mere mortals are quite happy buying online from ticket-master. u2 are not the be-all and end-all, but if others feel that way then i feel very sorry for them. there's more to life than u2. and as for the idea of "let's start a petition against u2.com, they're cr*p", get a life folks. just stop your subscription.  

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:11:49 AM by miami »