Author Topic: Message from U2.COM  (Read 15700 times)

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
Re: Message from U2.COM
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2011, 05:11:40 AM »
I agree with miami - good post.

I am a member of U2.Com and yes, whilst it could be a bit better and offer more for members, I actually think it's pretty good value and, hence, didn't feel the need to sign the petition.

Everyone has the right to not renew their membership if they don't like what they are getting so why moan about it? As miami has said, this "want, want, want" culture is a lot of what is wrong with this world.

I also get a bit fed up with people continually slating U2 on this site and others about new albums, set lists etc etc. We should try and remind ourselves that the band has been around (with the same 4-man line-up) for 35 years now - that is unprecedented in the music industry. They are continuing to make new records and play fantastic live shows (I've seen them 17 times including 8 on the 360 tour so far, and they blow me away every time I see them) so why don't we just try and appreciate them whilst they are still here?

Why don't we give U2.Com a chance to have a look at themselves and see if they can make positive changes? I think the fact they've even bothered responding to the petition is a positive sign. If people then still don't like what they come up with, don't renew your membership next time.

Finally to those people who are on this thread (and others) moaning about U2.Com when they're not even members, I'll borrow a quote from Larry when he posted on U2.Com after the Vertigo tour ticket fiasco - "I've only got 2 words for you".

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2011, 05:13:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I didn't realize Paul McG was on @U2. Welcome, Paul!

U2.com fans have paid money on the expectation that they get something others can't get - the news first, priority ticket sales, a bonus CD. When it turns out that their money got them nothing extra, they have a right to feel cheated or at least misled.

I disagree. They *do* get priority ticket sales, so I don't see that as valid. I don't know anyone who PAYS for their U2.com subscription expecting to get news first since nowhere in any description does it ever imply that you'll get early news for joining. And while the bonus CD is bad, I maintain that Artificial Horizon was worse and that no-one really joins for the bonus CD either- plus if you do, you can clearly see the tracklist before you join except in a very few months of the year.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2011, 05:32:16 AM »
I agree with miami - good post.

I am a member of U2.Com and yes, whilst it could be a bit better and offer more for members, I actually think it's pretty good value and, hence, didn't feel the need to sign the petition.

Everyone has the right to not renew their membership if they don't like what they are getting so why moan about it? As miami has said, this "want, want, want" culture is a lot of what is wrong with this world.

I also get a bit fed up with people continually slating U2 on this site and others about new albums, set lists etc etc. We should try and remind ourselves that the band has been around (with the same 4-man line-up) for 35 years now - that is unprecedented in the music industry. They are continuing to make new records and play fantastic live shows (I've seen them 17 times including 8 on the 360 tour so far, and they blow me away every time I see them) so why don't we just try and appreciate them whilst they are still here?

Why don't we give U2.Com a chance to have a look at themselves and see if they can make positive changes? I think the fact they've even bothered responding to the petition is a positive sign. If people then still don't like what they come up with, don't renew your membership next time.

Finally to those people who are on this thread (and others) moaning about U2.Com when they're not even members, I'll borrow a quote from Larry when he posted on U2.Com after the Vertigo tour ticket fiasco - "I've only got 2 words for you".

I agree 100%.  For those whining about the fanclub,  the best protest you can do is don't re-subscribe.  If you don't like the concert setlists, just do go. if you don't like their new music, don't buy their cd's, but please stop all the whining, it's getting old.  I also don't agree with this petition and find no need to sign it.  This petition reminds me of the Leaf fans here in Toronto.  They whine, cry, and b**** daily on radio talk shows and the daily paper about the team management puts on the ice year after failed year but every game is still sold out.  If you don't like the product don't go to the game, maybe they will finally get it.  Same with U2.  Every album comes maoning and complaining.  Just don't buy it or go to the shows.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:51:00 AM by boom boom »

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »
well people have been not resubscribing for a while now and yet after a week of a petition we get a statement from them saying they will look at our concerns. seems clear what is the most effective way to ask them to offer more for the money they ask (or offer the same for less money). as i said before in any argument you can try and make them guess whats wrong or you can spell it out and help them understand.

of course if you dont agree with the petition and are happy with u2.com as it is then you shouldnt sign the petition.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2011, 08:04:52 AM »
I actually think it's pretty good value

I'd love to hear the good value. Please enlighten me.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2011, 08:12:13 AM »
I disagree. They *do* get priority ticket sales

Not true.

Anyone who doesn't believe me can try the next time tickets go on sale. Get on some venue presale vs the u2.com presale vs public sale (right when tickets are available) and you will no difference in the quality/availability of seats.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2011, 08:15:17 AM »
ok, so u2.com isn't very well run. i'm not a subscribing member so perhaps it isn't high on my list of priorities.

the reason i'm not a member is because i don't see the point in wanting MORE from u2. i've all their albums and dvd's. i can download any bootleg gig from u2start.com. why would i want live streaming of a gig if i can freely download umteen hundred live versions of a song from a variety of other sites? ok, duals was cr*p. big deal. don't pay your subscription.

as for tickets for gigs, there are plenty of good tickets available from other places, where most of the rest of u2 fans acquire them.

many here are in danger of sounding like spoilt little children, "i want, i want, i want". give it a rest, what did you all expect, free cd's of unused studio material or something?

u2 are a band, they release music, we buy it, that's how it works. how many versions of live u2 songs do we really need?

it's quite sad that a petition has come out of all this, are there not more important issues we can start petitions about in the world? Rather than "i'm not getting what i want or deserve from u2.com, let's put our energies into haranging the staff there".

how about petitioning against governments around the world for letting bankers off the hook after the mess they've left the world in, or governments for not sticking to their promises in relation to africa?

there are some things worth using time and energy for, and haranging u2.com for being stingey isn't one of them imo.

Thank you God, Christ Almighty, the Holy Spirit, Joseph Smith. May i touch You and bow to your knees and kiss your feet?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2011, 08:21:36 AM »
ok, so u2.com isn't very well run. i'm not a subscribing member so perhaps it isn't high on my list of priorities.

the reason i'm not a member is because i don't see the point in wanting MORE from u2. i've all their albums and dvd's. i can download any bootleg gig from u2start.com. why would i want live streaming of a gig if i can freely download umteen hundred live versions of a song from a variety of other sites? ok, duals was cr*p. big deal. don't pay your subscription.

as for tickets for gigs, there are plenty of good tickets available from other places, where most of the rest of u2 fans acquire them.

many here are in danger of sounding like spoilt little children, "i want, i want, i want". give it a rest, what did you all expect, free cd's of unused studio material or something?

u2 are a band, they release music, we buy it, that's how it works. how many versions of live u2 songs do we really need?

it's quite sad that a petition has come out of all this, are there not more important issues we can start petitions about in the world? Rather than "i'm not getting what i want or deserve from u2.com, let's put our energies into haranging the staff there".

how about petitioning against governments around the world for letting bankers off the hook after the mess they've left the world in, or governments for not sticking to their promises in relation to africa?

there are some things worth using time and energy for, and haranging u2.com for being stingey isn't one of them imo.

Thank you God, Christ Almighty, the Holy Spirit, Joseph Smith. May i touch You and bow to your knees and kiss your feet?

and i bless you in the name of the father, son and holy spirit. now go in peace and spend your time wisely my son, rather than partaking in silly, childish online petitions.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2011, 08:27:07 AM »
i've been a harsh critic of u2 on these threads many times, as others here will testify.

Will you please quit wasting your time criticizing U2? You could be using that energy on important issues in the world. Not on some silly band from Ireland.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
i've been a harsh critic of u2 on these threads many times, as others here will testify.

Will you please quit wasting your time criticizing U2? You could be using that energy on important issues in the world. Not on some silly band from Ireland.

now now son, your holy father doesn't approve of this type of criticism. may you be banished to hell.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
If you don't agree don't sign, but there is no whining going on here.  We are simply trying to get U2 to offer a better product.  If you have a serious problem with this then I don't know what to say. 

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2011, 10:22:54 AM »
Miami,

You might be content with just focusing on the band itself, and that's fair enough. But i'm sure no one signing the petition is unsatisfied with u2 the band - we acknowledge that the most important/coolest thing is that the band is still around, making music and playing great shows.
But the fact of the matter is, they do offer a fan-club service, and considering the lack of benefits/poor quality of service, the price is way too steep. We all love u2, and those pushing for u2.com's improvement are doing so because then this fan club (which the band themselves must have set up in the first place, or at least ok-ed) could offer amazing things if it just tried a little harder. You say you can download a bootleg from u2start, but if there were official ones, they would be of infinitely higher quality. Furthermore, we know that u2 can stream shows live.... but they only chose to do that when another radio station was already broadcasting it. If u2 are unwilling to give out unreleased material, that's fair enough, but they can't have their fan-site say that if you sign up, you'll get exclusive material when that's a flat out lie - i was promised an exclusive cd, and got medium rare and remastered - which i already had via itunes. No matter how petty you think the CD matter is, it's still dishonest, and many of us are simply not willing to put up with it, in addition to the numerous other problems the petition puts forth.

To summarise - we all love the band. But the fan club is charging $50 to the hardcore fans for more, and we'd like 'more', because we've seen it's possible. But we're not getting it, and we're getting poor service for what is offered.

Now, about the more important matters of the world. Well, of course there are, but this is a u2 forum. If you see a petition in the general u2 discussion section... it's gonna be about u2, not about Gaddafi. If you want to see some protests about political stuff, go to another site, or another section. We know u2.com's problems aren't the most important in the world, but that doesn't mean we're not entitled to want improvements - it's like someone at a phone store getting told off for wanting an upgrade because there's corruption in zimbabwe. The only difference here being that many of us here feel cheated, and/or would love to see extras on u2.com that are available on other fan-sites for that kind of money.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:22:07 PM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

now now son, your holy father doesn't approve of this type of criticism. may you be banished to hell.

:D :D :D :D

::)

We're not forcing you to sign, so don't! Some of us do feel strongly about this, so we should sign it. Yeah, maybe I don't have a life, doing cancer research and being a full time college student and all...but whatever, I'm quite happy in my U2 obsession!  :D  ;D

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Without three decades of tremendous support, U2 would likely be living in much smaller houses and driving Toyota Camrys.

If the fans have something to say, then they should be heard. And be heard loudly - in pen or voice, positive or negative.

Telling the fans to pipe down because U2 are nice guys is bullsh-t.

And I think Bono would agree since he is one of the most recognizable protestors on the planet...

Offline sw

• Running to Stand Still
  • At the home office it's always March 2010.
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Two comments:
1. Signing it "u2.com Team" is meaningless. WHO is taking responsibility for sorting this whole mess?

2. The customer service end is so unbelievably bad. I had to go to the BBB to get my subscription sorted out in 2009--remember when they said "wait to renew," but some of us didn't SEE that post so we renewed...and then they extended SOME subscriptions by three months. But if you renewed during that short period, you were shut out of the 3-month bonus and you wouldn't get that year's fan club item (whatever it was). It took weeks, and several communications with the Better Business Bureau to get it sorted out. I refused to let it drop, even though it was a huge hassle, and of course there was no apology or comprehensible communication from U2.com/Fanfire.

As an example, this is a message I received on October 2, 2009, four months after making my initial complaint:
Thank you for your email. Our record shows that your account will expire in 57days. According to our records, your account was renewed 11/20/08 which would allow till the end of August for your 2009 renewal; however you account was extend till 3/3/09 that’s why you still have days left on your account. Please check your records as your account was extended.

Well even if that message made any sense, the account wasn't extended until finally the BBB got through to them.

I couldn't even complain about it to my friends because it's too embarrassing. Not for myself, but I'm embarrassed for U2 that this is how they are represented. They deserve better and so do we.

Edited to add: Regarding debate about one's choice to sign, or not sign, the petition--isn't that simple enough? Sign it, or don't, but berating others for their choice seems very UN-U2-like. And choosing to take the time to do so, or discuss it here, should not be construed as a lack of spending time on other "more important" activities. By posting such criticism of other fans in this thread, are you not also wasting time? :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:10:32 PM by sw »