Author Topic: Message from U2.COM  (Read 15702 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: Message from U2.COM
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I didn't realize Paul McG was on @U2. Welcome, Paul!

U2.com fans have paid money on the expectation that they get something others can't get - the news first, priority ticket sales, a bonus CD. When it turns out that their money got them nothing extra, they have a right to feel cheated or at least misled.

I disagree. They *do* get priority ticket sales, so I don't see that as valid. I don't know anyone who PAYS for their U2.com subscription expecting to get news first since nowhere in any description does it ever imply that you'll get early news for joining. And while the bonus CD is bad, I maintain that Artificial Horizon was worse and that no-one really joins for the bonus CD either- plus if you do, you can clearly see the tracklist before you join except in a very few months of the year.

I'm with ABRS here - I have been a member of U2.com since it started and Propaganda before that. Is it as good - no - but for me its all about the tickets. Any additional CD is a bonus (thought the last 2 have been well off the mark) I think the CD issue is something worth challenging as it does show a naivety of LiveNation to think that subscribers to the site wouldn't have these tracks already. That aside its each to their own on this stuff. Good on the guys who started the petition but likewise freedom of choice and view are what makes this forum such a great place to be.

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2011, 11:28:58 PM »
Really not sure what type of response people expected from U2.com over the petition?

The petition raised a number of concerns about the basic operations of the website, and presumably they will want to accumulate the data and statistics to inform their decision making for the future.

Surely they are entitled to some time to explore data and statistics from the website and to determine whether the concerns raised are (from their POV) legitimate, what is causing the concerns to happen, and strategies for resolving the concerns.

These things take time and it may prove to be that there is no easy resolution - decisions regarding the website are not as straight forward as they used to be, with more players involved in the running of the site and they will need to negotiate the best way forward.

Any decision that they make about the concerns addressed in the petition, any changes that they make to the operations of the website, will all have ramifications to running costs for the website and other variables, and it would be prudent for them to explore these fully before they make a definitive annoucement that promises things that they can't deliver later on.

Finally, just because Duals appears to be a miscalculation - that doesn't mean that a lot of hard work didn't go into preparing it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 12:55:08 AM »
Really not sure what type of response people expected from U2.com over the petition?

The petition raised a number of concerns about the basic operations of the website, and presumably they will want to accumulate the data and statistics to inform their decision making for the future.

Surely they are entitled to some time to explore data and statistics from the website and to determine whether the concerns raised are (from their POV) legitimate, what is causing the concerns to happen, and strategies for resolving the concerns.

These things take time and it may prove to be that there is no easy resolution - decisions regarding the website are not as straight forward as they used to be, with more players involved in the running of the site and they will need to negotiate the best way forward.

Any decision that they make about the concerns addressed in the petition, any changes that they make to the operations of the website, will all have ramifications to running costs for the website and other variables, and it would be prudent for them to explore these fully before they make a definitive annoucement that promises things that they can't deliver later on.

Finally, just because Duals appears to be a miscalculation - that doesn't mean that a lot of hard work didn't go into preparing it.

Time? TIME?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

NOW!

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2011, 03:14:22 AM »
AB - or should I call you Veruca?! - It's just not realistic to think that these things are going to happen over night.

Take your Roald-Dahl-Fantasy-Cap off for a moment and think about the the realities of what the petition is asking for.

What did you expect? That you'd stomp your feet, demand it 'now', and that Willy Wonka was going to offer you the keys to the chocolate factory?!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2011, 04:19:27 AM »
I would at least have liked them to include the following:

"One of the first changes that we've made is to remove Kevin, the 3 legged blind Llama who is responsible for the graphic design and layout of the site. It was a difficult decision, as Kevin has been with us since Sebastian Clayton finished his 3 weeks of web design work experience with us some 6 years ago.

We are currently recruiting a new graphic designer and web layout strategist. We had hoped to make this announcement last week as we had found someone who met all of our requirements, unfortunately though we have recently been informed that Helen Keller passed away some years ago.

We look forward to your continued support"

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2011, 04:53:47 AM »
Oh no, not Kevin!  :o

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 04:59:32 AM »
It was a mercy killing.

Kevin didn't see it coming.

Mostly coz he's blind.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »
It was a mercy killing.

Kevin didn't see it coming.

Mostly coz he's blind.

LOL that is so wrong yet SO funny. Win.

Offline linasd

• Up With the Sun
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJ72g6fMyw
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
Oh Kevin..  :'(

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »
I didn't realize Paul McG was on @U2. Welcome, Paul!

U2.com fans have paid money on the expectation that they get something others can't get - the news first, priority ticket sales, a bonus CD. When it turns out that their money got them nothing extra, they have a right to feel cheated or at least misled.

I disagree. They *do* get priority ticket sales, so I don't see that as valid. I don't know anyone who PAYS for their U2.com subscription expecting to get news first since nowhere in any description does it ever imply that you'll get early news for joining. And while the bonus CD is bad, I maintain that Artificial Horizon was worse and that no-one really joins for the bonus CD either- plus if you do, you can clearly see the tracklist before you join except in a very few months of the year.

I'm with ABRS here - I have been a member of U2.com since it started and Propaganda before that. Is it as good - no - but for me its all about the tickets. Any additional CD is a bonus (thought the last 2 have been well off the mark) I think the CD issue is something worth challenging as it does show a naivety of LiveNation to think that subscribers to the site wouldn't have these tracks already. That aside its each to their own on this stuff. Good on the guys who started the petition but likewise freedom of choice and view are what makes this forum such a great place to be.

I am in agreement with Sky and Sing here.  Well said.   It is a great petition though and I think U2 should listen to what the fans are saying.  As long as the band and fans respect each other and listen to each other, some good will hopefully come out of all this.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2011, 12:28:34 PM »

Time? TIME?

NOW!

You're a bad egg...and I want an Umpa Lumpa.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
My only thoughts on this at this point are- they responded, yes it did sound a little condescending, but they did respond and did promise that they are looking into the matter.  They do need time to do this. Everyone needs to have a little patience. Cooler heads always prevail.
I do beg to differ on the statement regarding ticket presales.  One of the primary reasons to purchase a membership is for the presale code.  In my area, all of the local teams were having presales going on at the same time as the membership presale. Even though they are stating that this should not interfere with the member presale, the perception at least, is that U2  members should have had access First and presumably access to the best tickets- not in conjuntion with the other presales. By these being held at the same time it makes matters muddy and it should be avoided in the future. I dropped my membership(the most senior group for presale) for many reasons, but when making the decsion to do so, this fact made the decision easier. I also do think that U2 having applied for the job of being the best band in the world that they would also wish to have the best official fansite.  The lack of customer service that many people have apparently dealt with is inexcusable and should definitely be not just looked into, but taken care of.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 02:32:12 PM by whitewave »

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2011, 04:39:00 AM »
I agree Whitewave, hopefully since the complaints and petition are actually getting media play, something will come of it.

Regarding people questioning our right to complain and sign petitions against U2.com. I guess my thought is that as much as I love this band (and I know they do love us as fans as well), I am a paying customer and I have the right to complain to management if I feel I am not getting what I am paying for, whether it be a Hotel, when I am out at dinner or any other place of business. They are taking $50 of our money and many of us believe it is a high price for such an inferior product. Should we sit on the sidlines and not mention it to U2.com or should we complain and try to make it better for everyone? I say we make it better. Those that are happy with the product or don't wish for there to be complaint or issue, that is your choice as well.

With that being said....

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
I don't really know what people were expecting just now. If they are gonna make changes, then of course they're going to take time.

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
I don't really know what people were expecting just now. If they are gonna make changes, then of course they're going to take time.

I wasn't expecting anything to happen yet.

I just don't appreciate being lied to...

For example:

Some issues raised hit hard, particularly about 'Duals' because a lot of work went into it

Also, we'd like to clarify that subscribers are always first in line for tickets

These are lies. I would have been happier with a response like this:

"We spent 18 seconds putting together duals. You know it and U2 knows it. We had to come up with something, even a CD as lame as 'Duals'. Studies show more people subscribe when there's a gift, even if its worthless. Oh, and sorry about the ticket presales, but sponsors and those who give live nation the most money will always have the first selection at tickets. The second tickets go on sale, the best ones are already gone. We have to please Blackberry employees, the promoters, and the friends and family of the promoter and sponsors first. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's how the world turns, so get over it."

Although harsh, I appreciate truth.