Author Topic: Very interesting TOUR rumor/news.....No Australasia/ Audience interaction.  (Read 8259 times)

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Very interesting TOUR rumor/news.....No Australia/ Audience interaction.
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:18 PM »
No Australia...

*shudder*...*twitch*..."breathe, just a rumour".

Bono's gonna have one motherf**ker of a broken promise if they don't bring their lazy ar**s down here.

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 12:21:51 AM »
Love town was a different tour from Rattle and Rum
- The Love Town tour was the tour for Rattle & Hum

Zooropa was a different tour from Zoo TV.
- Zooropa or Zoomerang was the Australasian leg of the ZooTv tour.. We just got a bonus album in the process.

Our Vertigo tour was at a different time from the US verion.
- Australasia was the last leg of the Vertigo tour.. it just got delayed due to the 'illness'

POP was a flop and they were trying to cover costs.
- Popmart was always coming to Aus, as I recall buying the tix 'close' to a year before they were actually here.

So you are not quite right.
They came here for Vertigo cause the dollar was stong. If its weak like it was during Elevation, they obviously wont come.

Understand.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 02:16:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

- Zooropa or Zoomerang was the Australasian leg of the ZooTv tour.. We just got a bonus album in the process.

- Australasia was the last leg of the Vertigo tour.. it just got delayed due to the 'illness'

- Popmart was always coming to Aus, as I recall buying the tix 'close' to a year before they were actually here.

They came here for Vertigo cause the dollar was stong. If its weak like it was during Elevation, they obviously wont come.

Understand.

The Love Tour and the Rattle and Hum tours were different tours with different merchandise (always a sign of a different tour) with a break in between

Zoomerang and Zoo TV were different tours with a significant break in between (enough for a new album).

I think you are probably right on the POP tour. But it was all over the place by then. By the time it came to Australia, the Lemon had broken down..

If the AUD is 65cUSD, it is 30% more expensive to come to Australia than when it is 95cUSD.

We agree.

The thing that has changed the most - they now want to spend more time with their kids so no more big tours.

Hence an Australia/Asia/South America tour is more likely to be at another time. Aka the Vertigo tour.

Offline olay 17

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 02:58:36 AM »
This is what I have been thinking If they do a leg in Europe (June-Aug), a leg in the USA (Sept-Nov) break for xmas, a leg in South America/Aust/Japan for March/April 2010

They won't give us a idea if they are coming back to Aust until September-October ish I guess,

The exchange rate will not be a factor for not coming, I mean in the late 80's and the 90's the exchange rate wasn't that crash hot either (high 60's to mid 70c to the US $)... and when they came in 2006 the exchange rate was 77c to the US $
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:01:13 AM by olay 17 »

Offline spacejunk

• Wanderer
  • Please don't ever let me out of you
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 04:00:44 AM »
I've said this before on the previous forum, and I'll say it again ....

When U2 doesn't play Australasia, it's not just Australia that misses out. It's just as gutting for those who live in a little country of four million to the east of Australia called New Zealand, for which "Australia" is not an umbrella term. As much as I sympathise with our beloved Aussie mates at a time like this, I know for a fact that I'm not alone in finding such self-absorption a little offensive. We love the band as much as anyone else - we gave them their first number one. Please be respectful enough to acknowledge our existence and shared heartache in this thread by using the term "Australasia". Thank you.

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 04:04:49 AM »
Of course, sorry SJ. Not a matter or self-absorption, just not thinking about NZ (or any other country for that matter, frankly that's perfectly natural). I was thinking about this in the car today that there are a hell of a lot of countries that miss out all the time. The nice thing is that neither aus or NZ are stuck down here alone - hopefully the proximity of the two countries makes the prospects of a tour a little more likely. Not

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 04:12:01 AM »
No Australia?  :'(

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 04:18:56 AM »
I've said this before on the previous forum, and I'll say it again ....

When U2 doesn't play Australasia, it's not just Australia that misses out. It's just as gutting for those who live in a little country of four million to the east of Australia called New Zealand, for which "Australia" is not an umbrella term. As much as I sympathise with our beloved Aussie mates at a time like this, I know for a fact that I'm not alone in finding such self-absorption a little offensive. We love the band as much as anyone else - we gave them their first number one. Please be respectful enough to acknowledge our existence and shared heartache in this thread by using the term "Australasia". Thank you.
as somebody who lives in the uk i do think the fans in the southern hemisphere do get a raw deal with the tours,we here in europe are envious of the US because they get two legs spring/autumn, where we have to put up with a summer tour .it must take alot of paitence to be a fan in countries like australia,new zealand,south africa and japan because of the time scale in between tours.

daveyg

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2009, 04:37:09 AM »

Understand.

The Love Tour and the Rattle and Hum tours were different tours with different merchandise (always a sign of a different tour) with a break in between

Zoomerang and Zoo TV were different tours with a significant break in between (enough for a new album).

Hence an Australia/Asia/South America tour is more likely to be at another time. Aka the Vertigo tour.

So the Love Tour was the tour associated with the.....em......Love album? And leafing through my Lovetown book I got at the gig, the Lovetown tour started the previous September - short tour. Must dig up later and check but dont remember a completely separate tour for R&H!!

"Zoomerang and Zoo TV were different tours with a significant break in between (enough for a new album)." - nope. Both were the Achtung Baby Tour (for lack of a better expression!), with just a few extra songs from Zooropa to play by the time they arrived down under.

None the less, the biggest thing is not playing down under!! Id say there'd be uproar there - or should be. Sounds like they couldnt be bothered. Ill try not to laugh next time they mention anything vaguely like the fact they look after their fans, or appreciate them yabada yabada

Offline mwozniak

• Babyface
Re: Very interesting TOUR rumor/news.....No Australasia/ Audience interaction.
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »
Some of you are likely going to think I'm nuts, but these tour rumors have me contemplating what to do next year. The plan is to teach in Korea for a year to pay off debt, and I know that's most important, but damn, do I ever want to see them play. If anyone has even a shread of advice, throw it my way, I need to do the sane thing here! O

On the same note, do we really expect the tour to last less than a year? If the album is as big as they say it is, I'm sure they'd want to milk it for all it's worth - family, or not. They are, as Bono frequently reminds us, in a business afterall.

I'm hoping they keep the tickets at a decent price - increasing ticket prices (or even keeping them as high as they are in some spots) just seems disloyal to the fans. It's at times like this I recall an interview I saw with a very young Bono once. In it, he said something along the lines of "I couldn't imagine driving around in a Rolls Royce or fancy cars when there are so many people dying". Well, granted, I'm doing quite well, but I think it speaks to how business-oriented the band has become. I'm truly not trying to rip them - I know it's my decision to buy a ticket, but I do think they owe it to their fans to make them accessible in light of how many fans have stuck with them through their trying periods.

Offline LostSailor

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2009, 07:46:01 AM »
WRT names for the tour, how about The "Re-boot Yourself" tour?

nolinehumper69

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2009, 08:07:19 AM »
I have no issues with them dissing the Aussies.

I will be at Croke and catch a couple of shows here in the states.

nolinehumper69

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2009, 08:19:20 AM »
I would like to add that the Pop stadium tour was a huge flop here in the USA. After attending the Clemson show and seeing a meager 20,000 people at Death Valley (capacity at least 70-80) I can understand their reasoning for not going that route the last two tours. Let's hope there are sell outs on this one. The idea behind weekends only is genius. This will make the concert experience even more special b/c of the rarity of the show.

Offline spacejunk

• Wanderer
  • Please don't ever let me out of you
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2009, 08:42:49 AM »
Of course, sorry SJ. Not a matter or self-absorption, just not thinking about NZ (or any other country for that matter, frankly that's perfectly natural). I was thinking about this in the car today that there are a hell of a lot of countries that miss out all the time. The nice thing is that neither aus or NZ are stuck down here alone - hopefully the proximity of the two countries makes the prospects of a tour a little more likely. Not
Thanks Matty. Yeah, I growled at Aussies there, but it's not just you guys - when the Australasian leg of the Vertigo tour was postponed in 2006, almost every American or British article on @U2's home page talked about "Australia" having to wait. I think some people really do think New Zealand is an Australian state linked to the mainland by the Sydney harbour bridge. 8)

silvrlvr

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
Some of you are likely going to think I'm nuts, but these tour rumors have me contemplating what to do next year. The plan is to teach in Korea for a year to pay off debt, and I know that's most important, but damn, do I ever want to see them play. If anyone has even a shread of advice, throw it my way, I need to do the sane thing here! O

On the same note, do we really expect the tour to last less than a year? If the album is as big as they say it is, I'm sure they'd want to milk it for all it's worth - family, or not. They are, as Bono frequently reminds us, in a business afterall.

I'm hoping they keep the tickets at a decent price - increasing ticket prices (or even keeping them as high as they are in some spots) just seems disloyal to the fans. It's at times like this I recall an interview I saw with a very young Bono once. In it, he said something along the lines of "I couldn't imagine driving around in a Rolls Royce or fancy cars when there are so many people dying". Well, granted, I'm doing quite well, but I think it speaks to how business-oriented the band has become. I'm truly not trying to rip them - I know it's my decision to buy a ticket, but I do think they owe it to their fans to make them accessible in light of how many fans have stuck with them through their trying periods.

It's hard to know until they announce the tour. I would not plan my life around U2: if you need to go to Korea for a year, go. The band will probably still tour in 2010. If the tour is as huge as rumored, they're going to have to stay on the road to amortize the expense. As for ticket prices, how much higher can they get? I paid $180 a ticket in 2005 for only okay seats; you've got to bet they'll be heavily into the premium packages this time around. And given what just happened with Bruce, they don't have to worry about demand.