Author Topic: Jakob Dylan  (Read 5913 times)

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Jakob Dylan
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
After seeing Jakob Dylan, the Great Bob Dylan's son, on Later ... With Jools Holland Tuesday night, i thought i would start a thread. It's the first i've heard of anything of his music (don't know if he was in a band before his debut solo album) and wondered what everyone else thought of him.

I don't think he's quite got the lyrical prowess of his father, but he's not too far away.

Over to you all ...

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
Re: Jakob Dylan
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:52:58 AM »
He was in the 90's group The Wallflowers ('One Headlight').

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:54:02 AM »
Jakob Dylan is in The Wallflowers.  I'm not sure if they still exist or not.  Their last album was in 2005.

Offline u2larkin04

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:04:38 PM »
I actually met Jakob at the Newport Folk Festival this year... I thought he was absolutely fantastic live and he's a genuinely great guy to talk to... very nice.. I love his stuff personally.

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I actually met Jakob at the Newport Folk Festival this year... I thought he was absolutely fantastic live and he's a genuinely great guy to talk to... very nice.. I love his stuff personally.

heh, i was there too! i was the barefoot teenager in the Vertigo tour tee shirt  ;D ...he was really good, but my dad has a nasty habit of overplaying artists so my love for them gets killed. this has happened with bands like Coldplay. i will seriously puke if i hear Viva la Vida one more time...but yeah.  :)

Offline u2larkin04

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 08:23:09 PM »

heh, i was there too! i was the barefoot teenager in the Vertigo tour tee shirt  ;D ...he was really good, but my dad has a nasty habit of overplaying artists so my love for them gets killed. this has happened with bands like Coldplay. i will seriously puke if i hear Viva la Vida one more time...but yeah.  :)

haha, wow... that's so cool that you were there too! I was the very dorky looking teenager with the press pass! haha... are you from the area?

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 07:43:40 AM »
no i live in New York, but we decided to drive down to go to this festival...we like to do that :D

Offline u2larkin04

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »
haha, that's awesome. next year is the 50th year of having it! i'm most likely gonna have press passes again! it should be incredible. already news that they might have bob dylan!

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »
wow that would be pretty cool, he's performed there in the past i believe...my best memory of it was when it started raining buckets, and people were trying to crowd into the tents and my feet were practically under water...and some random guy took a picture of my feet hehe, and afterwards there were people rolling around in the mud which reminded me of Woodstock. but yeah, getting back on topic, i  think Jakob was probably one of the best acts there.  :)

Offline u2larkin04

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »
wow that would be pretty cool, he's performed there in the past i believe...my best memory of it was when it started raining buckets, and people were trying to crowd into the tents and my feet were practically under water...and some random guy took a picture of my feet hehe, and afterwards there were people rolling around in the mud which reminded me of Woodstock. but yeah, getting back on topic, i  think Jakob was probably one of the best acts there.  :)

yeah, I'm a HUGE reggae fan as well, so waiting for the Marley's (who were late because they were lost) was quite interesting. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera for them because of the rain, I didn't want it to get soaked as I was (it looked like I had just taken a shower with all my clothes on). And the American Babies who filled in for them while everyone was wait... they were fantastic! I talked to the lead singer backstage for a while, he was just about to sit down and talk some more, but he was dragged away. Then the Marley's were absolutely fantastic. The whole thing was just a fantastic experience.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 06:23:53 AM »
I liked his music better in a band setting than solo, but the band (or at least the success lineup of the band) has gradually split up.

First to leave was lead guitarist Michael Ward, one my favourite guitarists (another would be Edge). If I recall correctly, he wanted more influence to the band's sound, which looking at his pedigree would have shifted them more towards alternative rock, which Jakob refused, so he left. Next to leave was drummer Mario Calire, who kind of was a bit of a poster boy only in the beginning of his tenure with the band, because he wasn't allowed to drum in the studio. In the credits of both albums "Bringing Down the Horse" and "Breach", it says that all drums were played by Matt Chamberlain, who is a well-known studio drummer from the LA scene, probably most well-known for having been one of the New Bohemians of Edie Brickell & New Bohemians (of "What I Am" fame) and his stint in Pearl Jam (I think it was). They found a solid replacement for him in their new drummer Fred Eltringham. The guitarists' job was filled with different people over several tours, none of which made it onto a studio album. And before their last tour, longtime keyboardist Rami Jaffee, the only other founding member besides Jakob, couldn't come along because of conflicting schedules, since he was backing up Foo Fighters at the time.
So only bassist Greg Richling, who joined shortly before "Bringing Down the Horse" was left from that lineup in Wallflowers when Jakob Dylan decided to go solo.
I hope they make a comeback though, and allow their next guitarist some room in the studio.