Author Topic: 2011.03.09: ‘Spider-Man’ Overhaul to Delay Opening "for about 3 months"  (Read 7902 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just a thought:  Bono and The Edge's stipulation for working on Spidey was that Taymor direct, now that she might be out could it be that B & E will throw in the towel and walk away from the whole mess?

Please God.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
Just a thought:  Bono and The Edge's stipulation for working on Spidey was that Taymor direct, now that she might be out could it be that B & E will throw in the towel and walk away from the whole mess?

Yes, please.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.

More from The Daily News this afternoon....looks like there should be an annoucement after tonight's performance.  Oh boy. 

"Cast members interviewed following the show said they in the dark. They said they were told there would be an announcement about Taymor and the fate of their the $65 million show after the Wednesday evening performance."

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"If Bono had wanted Taymor to stay, she'd still be here," one source told The Daily News a day after the Tony Award winner exited the Broadway boondoggle. "He's a huge part of the decision making that goes on."

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
It's already March, SOMETHING CONCRETE from the new album should have leaked by now. Bono and Edge will probably just delay it to try and salvage "Spider-Man." The Daily News piece suggests Bono might be more busy playing producer than rock star at the moment. Or expect a Fall release for the new album with 360 dates in-between now and then dedicated to introducing new material?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive

There's no way they walk away. Too much money at stake and they used their own contacts in the music world to finance this thing. They can't walk away from it. You can't bring in friends and then leave them hanging.

They should never have gotten into this mess. Put your best efforts into U2, not Broadway musicals about super heroes.

Offline CharityDance

• Stateless
  • ...and turn me around tonight
Taymor's officially out now.
On Wednesday night the producers, along with Bono and Edge, told the “Spider-Man” cast that Ms. Taymor was being replaced. Friends and colleagues of hers said she was being pushed aside because of sharply negative reviews by theater critics last month, and because she would not make changes that the producers had sought and that Bono and Edge, her fellow creators of the musical, had agreed were needed. (More: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
There are apparently 2 new songs coming.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest

North Star & Every Breaking Wave? :P

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!

North Star & Every Breaking Wave? :P

let's hope not, but if they're working on spiderman (and song writing) from now until the south america dates, and/or from late april until early may (i.e. the windows of opportunity for promoting an album), then i bet that extinguishes hope for new (u2) material.  :'(

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
I hope this is stays just a rumor:

"Reports are swirling that "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" director Julie Taymor may be leaving the troubled Broadway production - and rocker Bono may be the one to replace her."--CBS News

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
I hope this is stays just a rumor:

"Reports are swirling that "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" director Julie Taymor may be leaving the troubled Broadway production - and rocker Bono may be the one to replace her."--CBS News

For the love of God, please no.  If they cancel the the next leg of the tour because of this damn show, I will be so freaking pi**ed.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
Thank God.

"Also, rumors that Director Julie Taymor would be leaving were apparently false — she'll stay on, but they'll be adding Philip William McKinley and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa to help implement new staging and book rewrites. They've also hired musical consultant Bogaev (Sunset Boulevard) and sound designer Peter Hylenski (Rock of Ages), who have been working on the show in recent days."

Bono and the Edge won't be even more tied up with this afterall.  They'll continue to do their thing with U2.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
So Taymor isn't leaving?

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
It sounds like she is staying...for now.

Not to play the "I told you so" game here, but I was sure months ago that Bono was much more that just a creative influence on the show from what I heard. Does anyone dispute that he is a full on "Producer" of this beast now?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
Expect this story to change a lot in the next 24 hours. 

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
Expect this story to change a lot in the next 24 hours. 

Agreed.