Author Topic: Will U2 Do a stripped-down tour?  (Read 904 times)

Offline YellowLedbetter

• Headache in a Suitcase
Will U2 Do a stripped-down tour?
« on: March 13, 2011, 07:51:12 AM »
Who else wishes that U2 would go back to a more stripped-down stage production for their next tour, like they they did for the elevation tour? And also play more of their lesser-known material as a result?

I think the claw and all the flashy lights and screens are cool and everything, but i think it can also overwhelm the songs at times. And it doesnt allow for much spontaneity with setlists or on-stage jamming. U2 are the greatest live band in the world; they don't really need all those special effects to make for a compelling show

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Will U2 Do a stripped-down tour?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »
I was wondering when this would come up. Why hasn't it been mentioned before?

I think the next tour will be called the Nake(red) tour.

It will be stripped down beyond all recognition.

Edge will play only a homemade guitar and Larry will hit saucepans. only then can U2 prove their relevance.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:03:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was wondering when this would come up. Why hasn't it been mentioned before?

I think the next tour will be called the Nake(red) tour.

It will be stripped down beyond all recognition.

Edge will play only a homemade guitar and Larry will hit saucepans. only then can U2 prove their relevance.
:D :D

As an aside through I think they may decide to depending on how well the new album (should it appear) sells. This has been a huge tour (in terms of time as well as scale) and maybe they will decide that arenas are better again?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
Well, 360 is a lather large show.

The only way to go is scale down. So yes, arenas next time.

Only the really stripped down show already happened. They don't need Elevation part II. Perhaps a high-tech arena setup ?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
Who else wishes that U2 would go back to a more stripped-down stage production for their next tour, like they they did for the elevation tour? And also play more of their lesser-known material as a result?

I think the claw and all the flashy lights and screens are cool and everything, but i think it can also overwhelm the songs at times. And it doesnt allow for much spontaneity with setlists or on-stage jamming. U2 are the greatest live band in the world; they don't really need all those special effects to make for a compelling show

U2 has never been about spontaneity or on-stage jamming, so the size of any future production will not affect that in any way.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
To be honest, NLOTH needed an arena tour from the start on the stripped down model. Ironically, both HTDAAB and ATYCLB were probably more suited to stadiums- songs like Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day and even Walk On were made for that atmosphere in a way that no NLOTH song was.

And also play more of their lesser-known material as a result?

I don't see any correlation there. Certainly, there's no evidence that on Elevation, they played any more lesser-known material than, say, 360. Vertigo maybe but it was part-stadium.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
To be honest, NLOTH needed an arena tour from the start on the stripped down model. Ironically, both HTDAAB and ATYCLB were probably more suited to stadiums- songs like Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day and even Walk On were made for that atmosphere in a way that no NLOTH song was.

I do believe we are in agreement, however transitory the moment may be.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
I think the next tour will be Vertigo-esque.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
No.