Author Topic: Has Bono lost the plot lyrically?  (Read 10214 times)

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
Re: Has Bono lost the plot lyrically?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 06:12:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You're right up to a point. The herd mentality in never something that's appealed to me  - and U2 fans are rather like sheep.

That said, U2 used to be my favourite band. I went all over the world to see them. But, I think they've lost a lot of what made them special.

Anthony02 is right, someone at some point is going to throw their toys at you, to borrow his phrase. Not because you're posting negative opinions, but because you seem to be here mainly to post coments that will get people here riled up. You obviously don't like U2 anymore, and that's fine. But it's going to make a lot of people wonder why you come into the U2 forums to post things such as "Pride is rubbish" and "U2 fans are rather like sheep." Broad, inflammatory statements like that will not get you respect. It just comes off as bullying and annoying for the sake of being annoying. So be prepared...

That being said, I tend to agree that Mercy, as a song, is quite overrated. I kept hearing people talk about it like it was the greatest song U2 had ever recorded, and when I finally heard it, I was a bit disappointed. It's kind of mediocre. Not a horrible song, but not the gift from heaven most fans made it out to be, either.

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 06:15:02 AM »
Its a shame they let people like you on these fourms

andyt

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 06:48:31 AM »
Ok, but I'm allowed to fight my corner.

I'm not sure who 'people like me' are but:

I have the opinions for a reason - I have always felt that U2 were a big contradiction in some repsects. I also think they among the great music they've made is also some really poor music. And for all the good work Bono might do I think he is often way off the mark.

The reason I use phrases like 'throw your toys out of the pram' is because that's exactly what people do here when you say anything negative.

I remeber Bono himself once saying 'somewhere within contradiction is the truth'. It is possible to argue from polar opposites and much as I love some of their music, they really are deeply frustrating too.

'People like me' are allowed on here because I like U2 - check out what else I've said. There's plently positive. Here's somehting I posted in the music thread.

'Give me a break - I'm not trying to be contraversial.

Pride is a dreadful lumbering song full of embarrasing bluster.

The rest of the LP is genius.'

Maybe 'People like you' should take a balanced view of things.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 06:52:15 AM by andyt »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 06:54:41 AM »
There's far too much disrespect of fellow fans on this forum. Some people generally do like pretty much everything U2 does, that doesn't make them "sheep". Also, some people like some of their work but not others. That doesn't make them non-fans. We all have different tastes, and as long as nobody's saying ignorant or inflammatory things, there's no need to argue.

Offline kubokuk

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »

Yeah, I love Original too. But Bono always seems to blow it:

'Baby slow down
The end is not as fun as the start
Please stay a child somewhere in your heart'

is great!

but then he blunders:

'I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you're not'

which doesn't really make sense. But set to an amazing melody

I really don't get you - what's wrong with these lyrics? song is, in some ways, about just being yourself, so Bono wants that person to be real, he wants what she's/he's got, what she/he is. That person doesn't have to play someone else (I want nothing that you're not).

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2009, 07:03:29 AM »

Yeah, I love Original too. But Bono always seems to blow it:

'Baby slow down

is great!

but then he blunders:

which doesn't really make sense. But set to an amazing melody

I really don't get you - what's wrong with these lyrics? song is, in some ways, about just being yourself, so Bono wants that person to be real, he wants what she's/he's got, what she/he is. That person doesn't have to play someone else (I want nothing that you're not).

I agree, it's just a different lyrical style. You don't need to fill a song with abstract metaphors to call it good lyrically. And HTDAAB, like ATYCLB, was about getting rid of all complications and being honest. Joshua Tree style lyricism wouldn't have fit with the last two albums.

andyt

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »

Oh well - I just felt the line 'I want nothing that you're not' doesn't make sense. It's a double negative.

But please, everyone else, I've said I love this:

'Baby slow down

SO STOP CALLING ME NEGATIVE!!!  :)

Offline kubokuk

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:32 AM »
I never called you negative;)

About double negative - maybe I'm wrong, but i think that is how language works (not only english)

andyt

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »
Sorry, I didn't mean you in particular.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2009, 07:14:10 AM »

I was listening to 'Mercy' on youtube and have come to the conclusion Bono has become one of the worst lyricists in popular music:

'I know Im weed killer, honey, and youre sugar
If youre the prosecution I get away with murder
If you were ice, Im water
And with your telescope I can see further
Were binary code, a one and a zero'

Or try

from Original of the Species.

And this is from a man who can write beautiful words like:

'And I could never take a chance
Of losing love to find romance
In the mysterious distance between a man and a woman

For love and faith and sex and fear
And all the things that keep us here
In the mysterious distance between a man and a woman'

He fumbles once in a while. But, for the most part he's still brilliant. I think he often tries to say common things with a fresh approach. Sometimes it works and other times it raises eyebrows. I do think Bono's style has changed a lot. Joshua Tree was very poetic with a lot of visual words ex: Running To Stand Still. Achtung Baby used words Bono Never used before such as well.."Baby". And made the most use of double entendres where a word could have a sexual or spiritual reference perhaps. A lot of sexual references actually. I think ATYCLB & HTDAAB are much more personal. In someways more direct. Not as Romantic sounding. And doesn't Bono say something like "I'm tired of romance" in Miracle Drug? I actually think there are some good lines on Mercy (though perhaps you're mostly right on the verse you supplied here). There's a reference to Nero (the insane Roman emperor) that's brilliant.

Actually what you picked out on OOTS I don't have a problem with. But can someone tell me what " I'll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want"
means???? I never quite understood it!

As for NLOTH - It seems already we will hear some differences. GOYB already has Dylanesque phrasing and a few lines (as Bono was even saying) that could be a T-shirt slogan i.e. I've got a submarine, You've got gasoline... catchy lines that are a bit tongue & cheek.

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 07:19:20 AM »
Double negatives are often used in lyrics. It's called artistic or poetic license.

Pink Floyd, anyone?
We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »
Double negatives are often used in lyrics. It's called artistic or poetic license.

Pink Floyd, anyone?

Yeah but in that instance it's not meant to be taken as a double negative. And Bono used a very similar line to that OOTS line on So Cruel, so it's not a new thing for him to do. Even in a calssic song like Bad, he says "I'm Wide Awake, I'm not sleeping". For me that's actually worse lyricism than the example from OOTS. Still an amazing song though.

andyt

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 07:51:41 AM »

Pink Floyd, anyone?

That's not the kind of double negative I'm talking about. In fact, it's not a double negative at all

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »

Pink Floyd, anyone?

Yeah but in that instance it's not meant to be taken as a double negative. And Bono used a very similar line to that OOTS line on So Cruel, so it's not a new thing for him to do. Even in a calssic song like Bad, he says "I'm Wide Awake, I'm not sleeping". For me that's actually worse lyricism than the example from OOTS. Still an amazing song though.

I know, I was just pointing out that double negatives are often used in lyrics :) A double negative would be "I don't want nothing..." or something along those lines...

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 07:56:12 AM »
Yea its simple, Ill give you everything you want  except the thning you want..... meaning ( his daughter wants to go off and live her own life but bono, and Edge are not ready to lose there daughters that way) you have to think out of the box a tad