Poll

Will the setlist change substantially from the 2010 360 setlist for US Leg 2011?

No major changes at all
23 (39%)
Major changes only if a new album comes out
18 (30.5%)
Major changes regardless of whether a new album comes out
3 (5.1%)
Fairly big changes with no new album; much bigger changes with one
15 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Setlist changes for US Leg 2011  (Read 10162 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Setlist changes for US Leg 2011
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 03:09:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You're talking about them debuting a song they haven't played from an album they clearly aren't keen on (Unfortunately...) to serve a completely different message which I'm not really sure it serves anyway.

Scarlet says hello.

Well, I think it serves the RIGHT message in that case, but nevertheless, touché!  :D

• Holy Joe
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »
I think the news of no new album and confirmation that the tour ends after North America guarantees no big shake-up- there's simply no point in doing it with only one leg left. So we may get one or two new 'old' songs, but they are clearly VERY happy with the setlist as it stands and most of it won't be changing!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 08:42:21 PM »
Simple really.

Subtract the more obscure tracks (NLOTH non-singles are it), and add more greatest hits.

As this may probably be U2's last big stadium tour, they might as well leave us a lasting impression with their greatest hits.

Pride is back in the rotation.

Cheers,

J

• Holy Joe
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 08:43:24 PM »
Simple really.

Subtract the more obscure tracks (NLOTH non-singles are it), and add more greatest hits.

As this may probably be U2's last big stadium tour, they might as well leave us a lasting impression with their greatest hits.

Cheers,

J

Er... NLOTH non-singles? That's pretty much 'Moment of Surrender', which there is about a 0% chance of them dropping as they've repeatedly cited it as their favourite song on the album and even played it on Saturday Night Live. :P

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 08:46:09 PM »
Simple really.

Cheers,

J

Er... NLOTH non-singles? That's pretty much 'Moment of Surrender', which there is about a 0% chance of them dropping as they've repeatedly cited it as their favourite song on the album and even played it on Saturday Night Live. :P

Whoopsie.

U2 won't drop Moment of Surrender.

But they should drop NLOTH, Unknown Caller, Breathe -- oh wait they have already dropped those.

So I guess U2's setlist is more or less where it's at.

They can shake things up by returning Ultraviolet in place of HMTMKMKM.

Or insert Bad in there somewhere.

Or swap I Will Follow for New Years Day.

Otherwise, U2 are pretty much set in their ways.

Cheers,

J

• Holy Joe
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
Okay, we'll see in a month or so then. :)

At any rate, as I've said before, the 2010/2011 setlist is a bigger shift from 2009 than people think. If U2 play the USA with the Cape Town setlist plus Stingray, that means that they would be playing SEVEN songs they didn't at the Rose Bowl- or 1/3 of the set. That's bigger than the change has been between pretty much any two previous US legs of the same show.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:38:00 PM by E-Bow The Unknown Caller »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »

At any rate, as I've said before, the 2010/2011 setlist is a bigger shift from 2009 than people think. If U2 play the USA with the Cape Town setlist plus Stingray, that means that they would be playing SEVEN songs they didn't at the Rose Bowl- or 1/3 of the set. That's bigger than the change has been between pretty much any two previous US legs of the same show.

But...but....the seven songs are inferior to the ones they did last time. :P

I'd take the Toronto setlist again over the European setlist.

Plus Scarlet.

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »

But...but....the seven songs are inferior to the ones they did last time. :P

I'd take the Toronto setlist again over the European setlist.

Plus Scarlet.

Same

HMTMKMKM sounds so neutered compared to Popmart. Pride is nothing compared to any of the songs that were dropped.  Stay is infinitely superior to IALW.  MLK sounds so much better than Scarlet as long as Bono insists on talking over the refrain.  TUF was a fantastic song and plus the expanding screen = mind****

It will be cool to see Miss Sarajevo and IWF for the first time, but I was hoping for a bit more.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 07:35:37 AM »
Well, you may not *like* the changes, but they ARE changes!  :D

What I would like is if U2 became as bold again in the USA as they were in Europe last year. Even though U2 fans are naturally pretty fatalistic, fans were pretty generally happy throughout most of the European tour because they were really, really bold consistently in a way that they haven't been in Australasia or Chile afterwards.

It's easy to forget now, but throughout the European leg, U2 were more full of surprises than at any other point on the tour- from the early changes spontaneously playing *new* unplayed songs out of nowhere without warning throughout the entire tour so that different areas got different songs we'd never heard before, bringing back NLOTH in a new, strange form for one gig, playing North Star totally in the dark, playing Mothers of the Disappeared in place of MLK... just generally switching things up and being very unpredictable. Even the return/debuts of classics like Pride, Bad and I Will Follow kept things interesting by being unpredictable and usually taking the place of other classics, not the 'new' slots. All while maintaining a generally very tight setlist structure.

I'd love to see that come back, rather than just a few standard rotations.  And I think that it may, too.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »
I think there'll be some changes even without a new album.  Here's my prediction:

1. Beautiful Day
2. New Year's Day
3. Get on Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Even Better Than the Real Thing
6. Mysterious Ways
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World
9. Pride
10. Mercy
11. Bad/All I want is You
12. Until the End of the World
13. The Unforgettable Fire
14. City of Blinding Lights
15. Vertigo
16. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
17. Sunday Bloody Sunday
18. Scarlet
19. Walk On

20. One
21. Where the Streets Have No Name

22. Ultraviolet
23. With or Without You
24. Moment of Surrender

• Holy Joe
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
I really don't understand any prediction that has 'The Unforgettable Fire' returning. Yes, I realise that many people love it, but they just dropped it and they already played it for the entire North American leg. Remember that in the FIRST shift from Europe to America, they got, if anything, more emphasis on the classics- Elevation and Mysterious Ways going from being played on occasion to being played every single night, for instance. What reason is there to believe that TUF will return when they've shifted to a new way to open the screen, they haven't brought it back since early Europe even for places that DIDN'T get it and if they wanted a different setlist for USA 2, that's an obvious way to do it?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
I really don't understand any prediction that has 'The Unforgettable Fire' returning. Yes, I realise that many people love it, but they just dropped it and they already played it for the entire North American leg. Remember that in the FIRST shift from Europe to America, they got, if anything, more emphasis on the classics- Elevation and Mysterious Ways going from being played on occasion to being played every single night, for instance. What reason is there to believe that TUF will return when they've shifted to a new way to open the screen, they haven't brought it back since early Europe even for places that DIDN'T get it and if they wanted a different setlist for USA 2, that's an obvious way to do it?

Because The Unforgettable Fire was rehearsed in South Africa.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
They need to do *something* because last night's Chile set-list was a disappointment. 

This is Santiago and they didn't even play Mothers of the Disappeared. ::)

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:23 PM »
Well, you may not *like* the changes, but they ARE changes!  :D

What I would like is if U2 became as bold again in the USA as they were in Europe last year. Even though U2 fans are naturally pretty fatalistic, fans were pretty generally happy throughout most of the European tour because they were really, really bold consistently in a way that they haven't been in Australasia or Chile afterwards.

It's easy to forget now, but throughout the European leg, U2 were more full of surprises than at any other point on the tour- from the early changes spontaneously playing *new* unplayed songs out of nowhere without warning throughout the entire tour so that different areas got different songs we'd never heard before, bringing back NLOTH in a new, strange form for one gig, playing North Star totally in the dark, playing Mothers of the Disappeared in place of MLK... just generally switching things up and being very unpredictable. Even the return/debuts of classics like Pride, Bad and I Will Follow kept things interesting by being unpredictable and usually taking the place of other classics, not the 'new' slots. All while maintaining a generally very tight setlist structure.

I'd love to see that come back, rather than just a few standard rotations.  And I think that it may, too.

Changes by themselves don't make the show better.  Otherwise U2 dropping Streets for a snippet of Man and a Woman would be a good thing.  UV, TUF, the unreleased songs, Mothers (as opposed to the tease we got), the mega Discotheque snippet, Scarlet (when Bono actually sings) and One Tree Hill all brought something to the show.  The other stuff doesn't really add much.

I agree that the European legs were probably the best on the tour.  The first had some of the best performances of the decade while the second had some of the best set-lists.  But best of all they were actually willing to play new songs.  

On the 2nd Euro leg it wasn't really a GHT, but now they open with an old hit and have completely dropped the unreleased stuff it's kinda hard to deny it.  All when they are playing South America, where there are the best audiences in the world.  That doesn't bode well for us in the States, since our audiences are nowhere near as exciting as South America's.  

Perhaps we are being too greedy as fans.  But it's pretty frustrating to see them ignore the wealth of material they have, both released and unreleased that could blow the audience away even more.  IALW and Pride are not bad songs, but compared to the likes of Mofo, Exit, Please, EBTTRT, New York and Out of Control, they suck.

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »

Changes by themselves don't make the show better.  Otherwise U2 dropping Streets for a snippet of Man and a Woman would be a good thing...

?!?!?!?!  ???

If U2 ever takes Streets out of the set list, they will have officially gone insane.  95% of the people that go to their concerts are not die-hard fans and go to hear the hits.  Streets is their most epic live song and should never be removed.

As a die-hard fan who has never seen them live, I would be devastated if they took it out of the set list for the show I went to.