Poll

Will the setlist change substantially from the 2010 360 setlist for US Leg 2011?

No major changes at all
23 (39%)
Major changes only if a new album comes out
18 (30.5%)
Major changes regardless of whether a new album comes out
3 (5.1%)
Fairly big changes with no new album; much bigger changes with one
15 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Setlist changes for US Leg 2011  (Read 10154 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Setlist changes for US Leg 2011
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 01:55:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Changes by themselves don't make the show better.  Otherwise U2 dropping Streets for a snippet of Man and a Woman would be a good thing...

?!?!?!?!  ???

If U2 ever takes Streets out of the set list, they will have officially gone insane.  95% of the people that go to their concerts are not die-hard fans and go to hear the hits.  Streets is their most epic live song and should never be removed.

As a die-hard fan who has never seen them live, I would be devastated if they took it out of the set list for the show I went to.

He means that if changes by themselves would make the show better, then dropping streets for a snippet of Man and a Woman (by way of extreme example) would make the show better.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 05:23:01 PM »
Well, you may not *like* the changes, but they ARE changes!  :D

What I would like is if U2 became as bold again in the USA as they were in Europe last year. Even though U2 fans are naturally pretty fatalistic, fans were pretty generally happy throughout most of the European tour because they were really, really bold consistently in a way that they haven't been in Australasia or Chile afterwards.

It's easy to forget now, but throughout the European leg, U2 were more full of surprises than at any other point on the tour- from the early changes spontaneously playing *new* unplayed songs out of nowhere without warning throughout the entire tour so that different areas got different songs we'd never heard before, bringing back NLOTH in a new, strange form for one gig, playing North Star totally in the dark, playing Mothers of the Disappeared in place of MLK... just generally switching things up and being very unpredictable. Even the return/debuts of classics like Pride, Bad and I Will Follow kept things interesting by being unpredictable and usually taking the place of other classics, not the 'new' slots. All while maintaining a generally very tight setlist structure.

I'd love to see that come back, rather than just a few standard rotations.  And I think that it may, too.

Changes by themselves don't make the show better.  Otherwise U2 dropping Streets for a snippet of Man and a Woman would be a good thing.  UV, TUF, the unreleased songs, Mothers (as opposed to the tease we got), the mega Discotheque snippet, Scarlet (when Bono actually sings) and One Tree Hill all brought something to the show.  The other stuff doesn't really add much.

The problem is that no-one really agrees on what the stuff is that 'brought something'. Personally, I don't think TUF or Scarlet brought much to the show. I think bringing back I Will Follow did, I think Hold Me Thrill Me did... I agree the Discotheque snippet did, lots of others probably don't.

It all comes down to the fact that no matter how we try to dress it up, what everyone is saying is "I want them to play a setlist which is all songs that I personally like". That's what we mean when we complain about 'static setlists' or too many X songs or not enough of Y or not enough boldness or whatever.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 06:58:17 PM »
Personally, I don't think TUF or Scarlet brought much to the show. I think bringing back I Will Follow did, I think Hold Me Thrill Me did... I agree the Discotheque snippet did, lots of others probably don't.

So MLK brought something to the setlist that Scarlet didn't? I am going to have to strongly disagree with you there.

And many will disagree with you on HMTMKMKM. As much as I love the song, the general consensus seems to be that it pales in comparison to the power of Ultraviolet as they have been playing it this tour.

You're simply asserting your own opinion as if it's unassailable fact.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:01:12 PM by Droo »

• Holy Joe
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 07:05:42 PM »
So MLK brought something to the setlist that Scarlet didn't? I am going to have to strongly disagree with you there.

And many will disagree with you on HMTMKMKM. As much as I love the song, the general consensus seems to be that it pales in comparison to the power of Ultraviolet as they have been playing it this tour.

You're simply asserting your own opinion as if it's unassailable fact.

Hang on, that's not what I'm doing at all. I'm saying the exact opposite- I'm saying that every individual person has their own interpretation of what 'brings something' and what doesn't! When you quoted that bit, you left out the bit before where I noted that we all have our own view of what 'brings something', and the bit after where I said that what it all comes down to is that we all want them to play songs that we individually like!  And even in the bit you quoted, I noted that I agreed on the Discotheque thing, others probably didn't. My entire post was about how everyone has their own opinion and no-one is any more right than anyone else.

And, yeah, I do think MLK brings more than Scarlet, and while I prefer Ultraviolet to HMTM, I disagree that there's much of a 'general consensus' there at all, and I've loved seeing both live on the tour. It's all about personal preference- which is exactly what I was trying to say before! Sorry if I said it badly or wasn't clear.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »
I must have misunderstood you, then.

All I will say is this: which did audiences enthusiastically sing along with: MLK or Scarlet? ;)

• Holy Joe
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
To be honest, I can't comment fairly on that as I saw MLK four times live and have only heard Scarlet online, and clearly I'm going to be biased towards MLK when I've been part of an audience singing it!  :D

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
People sang MLK live at your shows? Or was it just you? ;)

My audience was dead silent while it was being performed.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2011, 07:22:01 PM »

I was in the pit with an Italian crowd. They sang EVERYTHING live at my shows!  :D As I said, that makes me quite biased. But no, it's fair to say people sang MLK at all my shows. I wasn't even one of them in Dublin, my throat was far too parched after Pride! But different crowds, different places in the crowd, different experiences. One of my crowds in Dublin sat down when they heard the start of Streets. (!?!?!?!?!?) It's all perspective, I guess!

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
Perhaps it's because you were in the pit with the hardcore fans. I was in the stands and nobody knew MLK or really responded to it.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 08:00:58 PM »

They were silent in awe.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »

I could barely hear Bono over my entire section singing MLK, and I was in the upper deck at Gillette Stadium

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
I say, no major changes.

I'd love for them to shake up the set every now and then and not rely on their hits so much, but this is U2; God forbid that they don't play Beautiful Day one night.  ::)

I could've sworn I read a similar post back in 2005 on a website.but instead of "Beautiful Day", the OP said "Pride".  :)

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »
I think we might see the return of Bullet the Blue Sky for the next leg as it's EXTREMELY relevant and topical at the moment.

Outside it's America.

Funny, I was just thinking this. What a perfect opportunity BTBS would be for Speechifying!  It's angry tone is relevant now with the current climate. I really think they're trying to keep their "in your face" political tunes away from 360. Yea I know Sunday Bloody Sunday but that serves as a hit before a political lashing.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2011, 06:07:56 AM »
According to Willie's diary;

There are several new show ideas in the works, six of which were on the agenda for the afternoon's discussion. The most precious to me are the remixes of Magnificent and Even Better Than the Real Thing

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2011, 06:23:44 AM »
Wow, a remix of magnificent? I didn't like the b-side remixes we got, but judging by their capability to pull remixes off live, i would welcome that!

If they're not releasing a new album, it would be cool for them to just let loose and really overhaul the show... as much for their own sanity as for us (imagine playing pretty much the same set list since new zealand!)

I'd imagine however, that the majority of these changes will take place for the NA/possibly Mexico leg.. and should be accompanied by at least an EP  ;)