Poll

Will the setlist change substantially from the 2010 360 setlist for US Leg 2011?

No major changes at all
23 (39%)
Major changes only if a new album comes out
18 (30.5%)
Major changes regardless of whether a new album comes out
3 (5.1%)
Fairly big changes with no new album; much bigger changes with one
15 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Setlist changes for US Leg 2011  (Read 10060 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Setlist changes for US Leg 2011
« on: March 19, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
Everyone has their own definition of "Major" changes but... it's an open question nonetheless. How different do you think the US leg of 2011 will be from Europe / Australasia 2010?

Personally, I think the setlists will be almost identical, but with maybe one or two old songs coming in and some changes in the rotational slots. But I think the overall structure- including the opening six or seven and the second half of the concert- will be basically untouched. (Except the HMTM/UV slot which may see a new song change)

I think this because there was already a fairly major change in the 360 tour in between 2009 and 2010 and they haven't toured the US with the 2010 setlist yet, so it will already seem very different to what the USA got in 2009. Plus there's not much precedent for major changes at this point in a tour without a really special reason or a new release. But I do think that if the new album comes out, we'll see some big changes- mainly NLOTH songs and some oldies being dropped for brand new songs.

WHat are people's thoughts?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Setlist changes for US Leg 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
No Major Changes.

They'll continue with the greatest hits set-list.

I'd like to see them open with Desire.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »
No Line On The Horizon and The Unforgettable Fire will return. Zooropa and/or Fez - Being Born will debut. Discotheque, Gone OR Last Night On Earth will debut to get Pop some representation. White As Snow will be played in honour of the Japanese tsunami and nuclear threat. Every Breaking Wave and North Star will be full band.

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No Line On The Horizon and The Unforgettable Fire will return. Zooropa and/or Fez - Being Born will debut. Discotheque, Gone OR Last Night On Earth will debut to get Pop some representation. White As Snow will be played in honour of the Japanese tsunami and nuclear threat. Every Breaking Wave and North Star will be full band.
dream on

Boom Cha!

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
I say, no major changes.

I'd love for them to shake up the set every now and then and not rely on their hits so much, but this is U2; God forbid that they don't play Beautiful Day one night.  ::)

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »
dream on
and out loud. :D.

I'd love fez.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »

That would be wonderful and I dont think its that farfetched  :)

I voted for the last option

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »

Interesting array. I am 90% certain TUF won't be back, I could see NLOTH coming back. I think it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that Zooropa or Fez will be played. (Though the latter is more likely than the former) I think the two full band predictions make a lot of sense, I wouldn't rule out a Pop debut though I don't find it likely... I do have to really question White As Snow though, since I have no idea why a song about the Afghan War would be in any way relevant to the tsunami...?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
Why was a song about the Troubles (Sunday Bloody Sunday) relevant to Iran/Egypt?

Because it's general enough lyrically to apply.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »
While that's true, that was an instance of utilising a political song that was already going to be in the setlist for a political message. You're talking about them debuting a song they haven't played from an album they clearly aren't keen on (Unfortunately...) to serve a completely different message which I'm not really sure it serves anyway.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »
I'd argue with you, but I believe that would accomplish about as much as having an argument with my kitchen table, so I shall just leave it here. :P

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »
I could see Bad coming back more often, as it was played only once on the last North American leg.

And perhaps a pop song being played doesn't sound too farfetched.

I have a feeling also that we'll see another new song.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 01:21:29 PM »
I think we might see the return of Bullet the Blue Sky for the next leg as it's EXTREMELY relevant and topical at the moment.

Outside it's America.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 03:49:41 PM »
No Major Changes.

They'll continue with the greatest hits set-list.

I'd like to see them open with Desire.

I could certainly go for that. 

I really hope that they reduce the ATYCLB tracks.  It's one thing to play these songs in markets such as Turkey or South Africa that rarely see U2, but America has heard ATYCLB played to death.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
I think we might see the return of Bullet the Blue Sky for the next leg as it's EXTREMELY relevant and topical at the moment.

Outside it's America.

I'd be ok with that.