Poll

Which tours do you think have the best set-lists?

Vertigo
Elevation
PopMart
Zoo TV/Zooropa
Lovetown
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
October
Boy

Author Topic: Poll: U2 Tours With The Best Set-Lists  (Read 3378 times)

satellitedog01

Re: Poll: U2 Tours With The Best Set-Lists
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
ZooTV
Popmart: first 2 legs with Miami, because of the Pop songs and the great flow)
Vertigo: pretty varied strongly rock oriented setlists and they played Zoo Station, the Fly and Mysterious Ways too, so it was a decent try.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »
Huh. ZooTV winning. PopMart second.

Guess that means despite all the high-minded talk, we actually don't care much about setlist variety. (Given that on the last leg of ZooTV, they played the same setlist every single night in a row, including where they played twice in the same city) We just all want them to play the songs we, personally, like.

There's a shock.  ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:27 PM »
This comes down to the greatness of the new songs which they kept in the setlist mostly all throughout the tours. The hits were also somewhat tweaked on both ZooTV and Popmart, to make them fit the setting easier. The setlists had it easier too, as the the themes were more focused/intense and the band's energy level was altogether higher.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »
I remain incredibly sceptical anytime anyone talks about the 'theme' of u2 tours given that U2 has never, ever done a tour where the theme was not abandoned for a minimum of three quarters of the show.

Offline horizon

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
PopMart, 360 and Zoo TV

satellitedog01

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
I cannot agree there TUC. Although some of the songs were lyrically completely unrelated to the themes of the tour, '90s U2 music was full of desperate yearning and confusion and personal lyrics, and besides Pride the regularly played '80s tracks were similar in emotion and energy and felt at home with the setting (Pride stuck out to me, and ISHF... on some occasions too. The funloving Angel of Harlem worked just because Throw Your Arms was a similarly silly tune)

'00s U2 left much of the doubt and confusion out of their live equation and brought in hope, faith and unity as a general theme. The desperately passionate songs don't really work anymore for me, as I know they aren't performed by the same people anymore. They sound like perfectionist covers.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »
Lovetown. They had about 10 different setlist that they rotated.

However, for overall quality, ZooTV (before the Zooropa songs showed up)

satellitedog01

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
Lovetown was a really great tour, but they didn't have the '90s songs yet... :-D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
Almost all the tours post-POP had decent setlists.

The older U2 get, the more choices they have for their 2-hour set.

This tour was pretty good with all the ATYCLB songs.

Cheers,

J

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
ZooTV was very good too... (with 9-10 songs from Achtung Baby, you can't go wrong!)

The Bullet/Running/Streets/Pride/Still grouping was awesome, and the transition from Running into Streets is probably the best one they've ever done.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ZooTV was very good too... (with 9-10 songs from Achtung Baby, you can't go wrong!)

The Bullet/Running/Streets/Pride/Still grouping was awesome, and the transition from Running into Streets is probably the best one they've ever done.

Bullet/RTSS/Streets is my all time favourite live song sequence, along with the Paint it Black/2000 Light Years from Home/Sympathy for the Devil sequence on the Stones 89/90 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »
Lovetown.

I'm at the point where I probably would be satisfied with a Lovetown set right now without anything post-Rattle And Hum. 

I saw ZOO TV indoors and outdoors and was blown away like everyone else, but I don't find myself going back to those songs live like I do with Lovetown.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2011, 10:40:06 PM »
ZooTV: Achtung Baby and Zooropa albums. 'Nuff said.

Vertigo: Unexpected resurrections of Boy classics An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, The Ocean, and The Electric Co, as well as The First Time, Gloria, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, and although it was only performed twice, an amazing version of Discotheque.

360 Tour: Where to start? Ultraviolet, The Unforgettable Fire, Scarlet, Your Blue Room, No Line On The Horizon, Stay, Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Moment of Surrender, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. Stunning.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
in this order:

Elevation
Vertigo
Pop

#@!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
Has anyone ever listened to a TUF bootleg?! That set list was great!! :P I cant be the only one to think so!!