Poll

Which tours do you think have the best set-lists?

Vertigo
Elevation
PopMart
Zoo TV/Zooropa
Lovetown
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
October
Boy

Author Topic: Poll: U2 Tours With The Best Set-Lists  (Read 3432 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Poll: U2 Tours With The Best Set-Lists
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »
Vertigo
Elevation

easily

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 12:02:52 AM »
The hard thing for me about these questions is that you can't really compare ISHF on Popmart with the same song on 360. Since they didn't play it all that much on ZooTV, hearing it on Popmart was pretty cool, even though it was ten years old at the time. But now the song is 24 years old, which makes it much less exciting to hear, especially if you've attended all the tours since '97.

There's almost no way to compare setlists that span such a long time.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The hard thing for me about these questions is that you can't really compare ISHF on Popmart with the same song on 360. Since they didn't play it all that much on ZooTV, hearing it on Popmart was pretty cool, even though it was ten years old at the time. But now the song is 24 years old, which makes it much less exciting to hear, especially if you've attended all the tours since '97.

There's almost no way to compare setlists that span such a long time.

In that sense, there's almost no way to compare *songs* that span such a long time or indeed, compare the original studio recordings with their live incarnations.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 01:20:11 PM »
Vertigo and Lovetown.

Popmart a distand third...for the flow, not the varitey.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
I voted PopMart first because even though I prefer the ZooTV *Tour*, I prefer PopMart setlists. ZooTV has a VERY strong opening and a very strong close with a somewhat weak middle in my opinion- the section on the B-Stage just before Bullet, which frequently featured R&H songs/acoustic songs. Although it DOES have the intense RTSS/Streets and later, the spine-tingling Lemon/WOWY.

I think the PopMart setlist is almost perfect from start to finish. It flows magnificently, it has some of the best transitions in U2 live history, (Mofo/IWF, Acoustic SBS/Bullet/Please/Streets) the Pop material is fantastic... in particular, the encores were flawless.

With those two decided, it was a struggle for my third favourite between the three 2000s tours. Ultimately, I think the 360 Tour has probably had the best setlists of the 2000s just because of the AMAZING flow that the band have nailed- while it may be 'boring' for a lot of hardcores, it's pretty much impossible to fault the show from City of Blinding Lights onwards in terms of setlist cohesion and flow, and they now have the start down pretty great too. Vertigo featured the best range of songs, but it wasn't as tightly structured, and the Elevation Tour is AMAZING but I don't think that's due to the setlists, which are fairly standard fare.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
See, I strongly disagree with you on the post-CoBL part of 360, at least for the leg I saw them on. After Crazy Tonight and the shift to political, I felt the show landed with a thud. Sunday Bloody Sunday, MLK and Walk On just came off as preachy, annoying, and dull to me.

It definitely picks up again in the encore, when it goes back to personal.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »
Fair enough! When I first saw it, they had Pride to transition between SBS and MLK and I personally thought that flowed better than it does without it. But for me the shift from Crazy to SBS is a highlight of the show, although my enthusiasm for Walk On has dimmed as the show has gone on!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 02:02:21 PM »
The LAPOE/SBS/Bullet/Miss Sarajevo/Pride/Streets/Speech/One sequence bored the life out of me.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 02:05:44 PM »
Fair enough! When I first saw it, they had Pride to transition between SBS and MLK and I personally thought that flowed better than it does without it. But for me the shift from Crazy to SBS is a highlight of the show, although my enthusiasm for Walk On has dimmed as the show has gone on!

I think the Crazy Tonight remix was THE highlight of my show, and that SBS suffers following it because it goes from this big danceable good time to this preachy, overly familiar schtick from Bono to a song that has outstayed its welcome on U2 setlists by about ten years at least. MLK was off key and Walk On was boring AND creepy with the masks.

My audience actually seemed to get noticeably hostile/negative during the SBS/MLK/Walk On segment.

The idea of the monstrosity that is Pride being added to the segment is my own personal version of Hell. All I can say is that Scarlet alone will save this segment for me on the next leg.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 02:09:52 PM »
Well, as I said, it's all going to vary wherever you are. I wasn't that impressed by Sunday Bloody Sunday in Turin- but in Paris it was EASILY one of the highlights of the show as the crowd went insane and Bono got 95,000 French people singing "Get Up, Stand Up" for the Roma just after there was a deportation order for them in France. It was a really intense, magical moment- and I speak as someone for whom SBS generally *has* gotten old long ago!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »
ZooTV has a VERY strong opening and a very strong close with a somewhat weak middle in my opinion- the section on the B-Stage just before Bullet, which frequently featured R&H songs/acoustic songs. Although it DOES have the intense RTSS/Streets and later, the spine-tingling Lemon/WOWY.

The B stage section was inspired, as was the song selection in that section.  Satellite of Love was a goosebumps moment.

I think the PopMart setlist is almost perfect from start to finish. It flows magnificently, it has some of the best transitions in U2 live history, (Mofo/IWF, Acoustic SBS/Bullet/Please/Streets) the Pop material is fantastic... in particular, the encores were flawless.

You failed to mention Miami in that cool as **** sequence.  Bullet was arranged for that tour to mirror Miami.

I also don't think they worked in the hits in the PopMart set-list as effectively as in Zoo TV's.  The hits didn't intrude on the new music on Zoo TV as much as PM.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:12:51 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
The audience/venue probably does have a major impact. My audience was just generally bad. They ignored the NLOTH songs and setlist rarities. They even complained during Ultraviolet!

TD: Ugh. I thought Satellite of Love was brutal. I was glad when it was over and they got on into Dirty Day.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 02:18:40 PM »

The B stage section was inspired, as was the song selection in that section.  Satellite of Love was a goosebumps moment.

To each their own! I have obviously never seen it while you have, but I don't particularly like that section, or indeed that song!

You failed to mention Miami in that cool as **** sequence.  Bullet was arranged for that tour to mirror Miami.

To be honest, I think Miami is U2's worst song ever committed to record and is even worse live, hence why I omitted it!  :D

The audience/venue probably does have a major impact. My audience was just generally bad. They ignored the NLOTH songs and setlist rarities. They even complained during Ultraviolet!

Yeah, I know what you mean. My audiences ranged wildly- one of the nights in Dublin they sang along to Stay and kept up the "Oh-oh-oh"s after he finished, so that Bono had to stop talking, which was awesome- Stay, of all songs! In a stadium of 80,000! But the exact same night, to my eternal chagrin, my stand sat down when they heard the start of Streets. -_-
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:20:19 PM by E-Bow The Unknown Caller »

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »

To be honest, I think Miami is U2's worst song ever committed to record and is even worse live, hence why I omitted it!  :D

No, that would be Unknown Caller or The Refugee. ;)

• Holy Joe
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Or Scarle-

No, I'm just teasing you!  :D