Poll

Which tours do you think have the best set-lists?

Vertigo
Elevation
PopMart
Zoo TV/Zooropa
Lovetown
The Joshua Tree
The Unforgettable Fire
War
October
Boy

Author Topic: Poll: U2 Tours With The Best Set-Lists  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Poll: U2 Tours With The Best Set-Lists
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Or Scarle-

No, I'm just teasing you!  :D

You'd better be. I was just about to become a lot less civil. ;)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
I do think of Scarlet as more of an interlude than a song, but there are an awful lot of pieces I find worse, don't worry!  :D

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 02:27:10 PM »
I do think of Scarlet as more of an interlude than a song, but there are an awful lot of pieces I find worse, don't worry!  :D

It kind of is, but it's a hell of an interlude. It's not a "song" like Zooropa, CoBL, or their other big "epic" songs, but it sure has emotional weight to me.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 03:07:53 PM »
Sunday Bloody Sunday was THE highlight of my show (Boston 1).  It turned a somewhat dull crowd into 80,000 people dancing and screaming/singing their hearts out.  EASILY the best song of the night in terms of crowd reaction and the band played it to perfection.  They were so into it.  The crowd was even singing loudly for the Rock The Casbah snippet

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
Elevation
PopMart
The Joshua Tree

ZooTV/Zooropa setlists is a runner up.
And while i'm here i'd like to point out that I think some of the Vertigo tour setlists are just horrible. Love and Peace or Else is not a song to open U2 shows, and Kite is not one that should close them. :P

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
Elevation
PopMart
The Joshua Tree

ZooTV/Zooropa setlists is a runner up.
And while i'm here i'd like to point out that I think some of the Vertigo tour setlists are just horrible. Love and Peace or Else is not a song to open U2 shows, and Kite is not one that should close them. :P
But then again some of them were pretty nice. :) City of Blinding lights is an AWESOME opener!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 04:58:46 PM »
The hard thing for me about these questions is that you can't really compare ISHF on Popmart with the same song on 360. Since they didn't play it all that much on ZooTV, hearing it on Popmart was pretty cool, even though it was ten years old at the time. But now the song is 24 years old, which makes it much less exciting to hear, especially if you've attended all the tours since '97.

There's almost no way to compare setlists that span such a long time.

In that sense, there's almost no way to compare *songs* that span such a long time or indeed, compare the original studio recordings with their live incarnations.

Exactly my point. Think of what NYD represented on the ZooTV tour when it came on the heels of 6 or 7 new '90s songs versus what it represents on 360 today.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
ZooTV
PopMart

By the way, why do people always call the Zooropa leg of the ZooTV tour the Zooropa tour? It wasn't the Zooropa Tour, it was the LEG of the ZOOTV TOUR!!!!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:31 PM »
ZooTV
PopMart

By the way, why do people always call the Zooropa leg of the ZooTV tour the Zooropa tour? It wasn't the Zooropa Tour, it was the LEG of the ZOOTV TOUR!!!!

Well, it was called Zooropa, according the the tour program and posters I have anyways! Oh, my old ticket stubs say Zooropa too.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 05:05:17 PM »
Yes, it was officially called the Zooropa tour.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »
But what about the fact that it was the same tour as ZooTV except for some Zooropa songs? It had the same stage and the ZooTV sign and the trabants....even the concert video is called ZooTV (even though it was filmed on the Zoomerang leg).

And look! The poster says ZooTV Tour!! (Followed by Zooropa '93, of course)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:11:11 PM by Starman (Boycott Duals) »

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
But what about the fact that it was the same tour as ZooTV except for some Zooropa songs? It had the same stage and the ZooTV sign and the trabants....even the concert video is called ZooTV (even though it was filmed on the Zoomerang leg)

Yes it was all the technically Zoo TV tour, but they did 'officially' name the different legs of the tour. No one is right or wrong here, but I saw both, I do not count my shows as all Zoo TV, I saw the Zoo TV tour and the Zooropa tour.

All part of U2's most exciting, creative and daring period. The tour continually evolved as it went along, it was amazing to witness.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
But what about the fact that it was the same tour as ZooTV except for some Zooropa songs? It had the same stage and the ZooTV sign and the trabants....even the concert video is called ZooTV (even though it was filmed on the Zoomerang leg)

It's just a formal title that sounded good, in Europe; helped promote their newly released album; and reflected the fact that they were now playing songs from Zooropa.  

Nothing much changed except the set-lists, marginally, and the introduction of the MacPhisto character.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
Yeah, this is true. It just confuses me sometimes. Oh well!

Speaking of MacPhisto's intro, I love Daddy's Gonna Pay opening that part instead of Desire (though Desire sounded awesome on ZooTV, all Hollywood Remix-esque)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:11 PM »
Yeah, this is true. It just confuses me sometimes. Oh well!

Speaking of MacPhisto's intro, I love Daddy's Gonna Pay opening that part instead of Desire (though Desire sounded awesome on ZooTV, all Hollywood Remix-esque)

Desire was really Mirror Ball Man's song after all and Mr Mac had to wait till Oz before he got his own.

As much as Bad, Ultraviolet and Desire were integral songs during a Zoo TV show, I do sometimes wish, in hindsight, that we European stadium fans got the Zooropa show that the Australians, New Zealanders and Japanese got.  I mean, I got Babyface but it was no substitute for Dirty Day, Lemon or DGPFYCC.  Not that I was complaining at the time.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:58:23 PM by StrongGirl »