Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15851 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
U2 are Over!
« on: March 26, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »
Well, it's official. U2 are over. Fans will never care about them again, two years after its release, they aren't even touring to support their new album and they clearly just rely on their greatest hits. They only play *three* songs from the new album, for God's sake! They have become everything that they feared and hated. We'll probably never get an album for MONTHS with the impending collapse of talks about their album with that new producer, and certainly no real live rareties. They barely even play songs from the new album live anymore- in fact, they play more songs from *two* other albums than the new album on some night, and just as many from ATYLCB as they do on the album. Truly U2 are over with this tour PACKED with greatest hits- I mean, do we really need to hear Elevation, ISHF, Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Streets, every night? Even the rotations are so uninspired- constantly 'Bad' or 'Angel of Harlem'. Songs that were once rare, like Miss Sarajevo, don't seem it anymore. And they don't even change up the order anymore- always opening the same, with similar structures!

PLUS despite rumors of a return to Europe and possible new material soon, we won't get anything for AGES. I bet this is the end of U2 and this last tour is their last major one.

...I speak of course, of the Vertigo Tour-  http://www.u2gigs.com/show1451.html - which is coming to an end in late 2006 with only three-four songs being played from the newest album, HTDAAB, and CERTAINLY no brand new unplayed songs, let alone two-three most nights. As for any song as rare as Hold Me Thrill Me, In A Little While or Ultraviolet? Forget about it.

...Why? What are you guys talking about?

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
 :D :D :D :D

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 05:59:15 PM »
I see what you did there. :D :P

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »
heh. good one.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
heh. good one.

It's not a "good one" at all.

This just demonstrates that U2 fans who are too young to have followed the band in the pre-Behind days have zero perspective. I mean, appealing to the Vertigo Tour under the guise of 360 to demonsrate that U2 haven't let their credibility slip is hilarious. As if it's the golden age of the mid-2000s that we hearken back to!

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 06:30:42 PM »
heh. good one.

This just demonstrates that U2 fans who are too young to have followed the band in the pre-Behind days have zero perspective. I mean, appealing to the Vertigo Tour under the guise of 360 to demonsrate that U2 haven't let their credibility slip is hilarious. As if it's the golden age of the mid-2000s that we hearken back to!

It would be, if that's what I was doing. What I was actually doing, as I think the title clearly demonstrates, is mocking the idea that this is some MASSIVE thing which means the end of the band, the incredibly amusing overreactions of many here as though this is earth-shattering evidence of U2 having irrevocably changed and being over.

Although mind you, the Vertigo Tour is doing pretty damn well in the current poll in 'Tours' and featured easily more setlist variety than any other U2 tour ever- CRUSHING that of the 1990s, so.... not too hilarious. ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »
heh. good one.

It would be, if that's what I was doing. What I was actually doing, as I think the title clearly demonstrates, is mocking the idea that this is some MASSIVE thing which means the end of the band, the incredibly amusing overreactions of many here as though this is earth-shattering evidence of U2 having irrevocably changed and being over.

Although mind you, the Vertigo Tour is doing pretty damn well in the current poll in 'Tours' and featured easily more setlist variety than any other U2 tour ever- CRUSHING that of the 1990s, so.... not too hilarious. ;)

Yes, but the same criticisms that people like me have offered about 360 were being given by us during Vertigo as well. So when you offer what is intended to be (mis)perceived as a lament about 360 which (gasp!) ends up being really about Vertigo is a tactic that sort of falls pretty wide of the mark. But again, to truly appreciate what the critics of post-2000 U2 are saying requires having been around since before that time.

We all have our opinions and unique perspectives, which is great. But I am just pointing out that your rhetorical attempt at a "Gotcha!" demonstrates that the perspective of people like me is either not being understood, or not being really addressed.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »
...Or again that you are completely missing the point of the thread, but sure.  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
when you offer what is intended to be (mis)perceived as a lament about 360 which (gasp!) ends up being really about Vertigo

Yup, TUC certainly has a flair for the dramatic.   ;D

satellitedog01

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
TUC, I don't recall anyone stating U2 were over, other than you in your semi-entertaining stunt.
And by this you assume it's okay for a supposedly active band to let fans wait 4-5 years for a new album and keep tours going without much new material twice. This is in fact nostalgia act territory. Actually most of us '90s fans (my local friends in U2) found Bomb to be the first unexciting U2 record after the long wait and teases just like SOA (2000-2004, with a possibly quick follow up to ATYCLB having been mentioned before 2002), so your post just reinforced my perception of a vaning old band that just cannot go away gracefully, instead chosing to keep every fan on their toes for whole years, without much creativity or reward. This is not a good strategy from either U2, or you.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »
TUC, I don't recall anyone stating U2 were over, other than you in your semi-entertaining stunt.

Really? You *really* need to check out the semi-apocalyptic 'No new album' thread then.  Seriously, people are essentially predicting armageddon for U2, and I think the overreactions have been ludicrous. That's all I'm trying to say here, no big statement or criticism of anyone.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »
when you offer what is intended to be (mis)perceived as a lament about 360 which (gasp!) ends up being really about Vertigo

Yup, TUC certainly has a flair for the dramatic.   ;D

I know! I can't believe I almost fell into the trap of criticizing Vertigo-era U2!!

• Holy Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 07:13:31 PM »
Once again completely missing the point. This thread is not remotely intended to say people shouldn't be upset or angry, or lauding Vertigo as great, or saying "Look, you're all hypocrites", or anything like that.

It's just mocking the incredible overreactions of people who think that we are seeing some unprecedented shift that marks the end of the U2 world. And if you don't think that's happening, then fair enough. But continuing to miss the point by accusing the main post of 'missing' a point it wasn't remotely aimed at seems a tad.... pointless, if I can overuse 'point' in a sentence!  :D

satellitedog01

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »
If the years of waiting and being subject to teases by the band (before we learnt not to take Bono too seriously, and that means at least one occasion too many) were completely and doubtlessly worth my patience, I'd say fine ye Irish bastards, you're still mint. But this turned out not to be the case. I got fair-to-good albums that I don't listen to anymore (in contrast to Pop and Passengers for example) and a bitter aftertaste, that this is not the greatest possible album they promised to give me, that they were talking about, (and actually should be capable of creating) with all the time and reported effort consumed by the process. Good tunes but no new standards to measure them by. Of course we can measure them by their current songs, but that would be a step or two down the ladder for me.

satellitedog01

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
I have read the "no new album thread", but it's more a place of disappointment and critique, than end of U2-world visions. At least that's what remains in my (t)rusty memory. Of course this is not the end of U2, but it's been a frustrating 10 years for me as a U2 listener.