Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15816 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yip. Along with Pop they are the ones I still listen to semi-regularly.

What about the others?

I listen to Pop, Achtung Baby! Zooropa, Passengers, Boy and War very regularly, October, UF, R&H, JT, the others, hardly ever now.

satellitedog01

« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »
I can't really take U2 in larger doses these days. So it's either these 2 or the other '90s albums (which are also my faves) but likely just a youtube clip of a rarity or B-side or an exceptionally brilliant performance of an album track, or I'll dig up some concert bootleg/official or B-sides/rarities on a vinyl side or bootleg comp. whatever I feel at the moment. I rarely listen to a full album aside from Pop and Passengers. I'll likely give a spin to some other album on vinyl once a year out of nostalgia. I do listen to loads of other bands and music, plus I write my own tunes and that also takes up music time.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2011, 03:49:46 PM »
I can't really take U2 in larger doses these days. So it's either these 2 or the other '90s albums (which are also my faves) but likely just a youtube clip of a rarity or B-side or an exceptionally brilliant performance of an album track, or I'll dig up some concert bootleg/official or B-sides/rarities on a vinyl side or bootleg comp. whatever I feel at the moment. I rarely listen to a full album aside from Pop and Passengers. I'll likely give a spin to some other album on vinyl once a year out of nostalgia. I do listen to loads of other bands and music, plus I write my own tunes and that also takes up music time.

Do you just enjoy writing about U2?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
I enjoy a grand total of four tracks from Passengers: Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, Slug and Always Forever Now. The rest I just don't enjoy.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
I enjoy a grand total of four tracks from Passengers: Miss Sarajevo, Your Blue Room, Slug and Always Forever Now. The rest I just don't enjoy.

That's two more than me!  :D

Although Elvis Ate America is entertaining in its awfulness.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2011, 04:01:06 PM »

Theme from Let's Go Native? It's a pretty good beat.

satellitedog01

« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
No, I don't just like writing about them .-) I listen to U2 in some form most days, but I stopped being a fanatic with Electrical Storm I guess.
To be positive though, I'm always interested in their new output, in case they come out with something great. It's not my fault if they fail to be truly great. Good is fine for a month or two, maybe even 'til the next one comes out, but greatness endures. My tastes have evolved with U2 from '92 on, and my musical interest expanded to different kinds of bands and songwriting from 2003 or so on, and No Line was playing it a bit too safe considering the tall tales of spicy Moroccan influences and completely revitalized energies and songwriting. I might have to accept my expectations to be altogether incompatible with the reality of U2 at some point.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2011, 04:10:09 PM »
No, I don't just like writing about them .-) I listen to U2 in some form most days, but I stopped being a fanatic with Electrical Storm I guess.
To be positive though, I'm always interested in their new output, in case they come out with something great. It's not my fault if they fail to be truly great. Good is fine for a month or two, maybe even 'til the next one comes out, but greatness endures. My tastes have evolved with U2 from '92 on, and my musical interest expanded to different kinds of bands and songwriting from 2003 or so on, and No Line was playing it a bit too safe considering the tall tales of spicy Moroccan influences and completely revitalized energies and songwriting. I might have to accept my expectations to be altogether incompatible with the reality of U2 at some point.

If you liked spicy moroccan beats (liked how you described them  ;) ), then I'm guessing you liked how Fez sounded?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »

U2 have never had anything near a monopoly on my musical interest.

It's healthy to have outside interests, as no doubt U2 themselves have discovered as they got older.  They get criticized for it by obsessive fans, mind you.

satellitedog01

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »
Aside from the more obvious U2-ish tracks: Beach Sequence (but that's actually very much U2, just minimal) Corpse (my fave Edge tune so far), One Minute Warning, Ito Okashi, Elvis AA, Plot are also worthwhile listens to me.

I want another Passengers album and wish they put out their archives in this form. There must be hundreds of little ideas that could live in this form without the need of further writing or polishing. I'd much rather hear song ideas than demos of eventual album tracks for example.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2011, 04:18:33 PM »
Aside from the more obvious U2-ish tracks: Beach Sequence (but that's actually very much U2, just minimal) Corpse (my fave Edge tune so far), One Minute Warning, Ito Okashi, Elvis AA, Plot are also worthwhile listens to me.

I want another Passengers album and wish they put out their archives in this form. There must be hundreds of little ideas that could live in this form without the need of further writing or polishing. I'd much rather hear song ideas than demos of eventual album tracks for example.

This!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2011, 04:30:21 PM »

That's two more than me!  :D

Although Elvis Ate America is entertaining in its awfulness.

Oh God, please don't remind me of that song.

satellitedog01

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
If you liked spicy moroccan beats (liked how you described them  ;) ), then I'm guessing you liked how Fez sounded?

Not at all. In it's album form it felt unnecessary and tacked on, and there was a video from a session where you could hear it was a more fully developed tune which makes you want to hear the whole damn thing. I don't like snippets of unheard songs. The true form of that song might be interesting, but it's likely we'll never hear it. If you meant Being Born, I like the potential, but it lacks structure and feels unfinished and most problematically it's not on a Passengers style album but a polished to death pop record, so the missing things take away from an otherwise cool and fresh song.
However, that lovely jam from another Fez video, that seemingly developed into Magnificent (if it wasn't just for the video) was utterly exciting, I hoped for something more in that direction with the whole album. Organic, folky Eastern instruments mingling with Edge's soundscapes and the energy of the other three guys. Similar things have been done before, so I was eager to hear how U2 incorporate the influences and sounds...

U2 have never had anything near a monopoly on my musical interest.

It's healthy to have outside interests, as no doubt U2 themselves have discovered as they got older.  They get criticized for it by obsessive fans, mind you.

Yeah, it's obvious from your username. :-)

And as for outside interests, U2 made a career out of it. It's when they got stuck in U2 land that they lose their way. The sum of their four individual sounds is so unique, they likely should not fear any outside influence. Pop is a prime example, aside from Discotheque, Miami and Playboy Mansion these were doubtlessly U2 songs.

satellitedog01

« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2011, 04:48:59 PM »
I just had to hunt down a bloody big black spider that went for a stroll quite near my toes. Arrgh...

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2011, 07:06:12 AM »
I agree 100% sice 2000 U2 is gone no more experimental sounds...  they are making more money than they did before 1999
I think that's the only reason that is keeping u2 toguether MONEYˇˇˇˇ

u2 360 is so boring it doesn't has a concept at allˇ it's like a circus but worst ...
Staring with beatifull day???? jajajaja it's so ridiculousˇˇˇ  sorry about my english I'm from mexico..... anyway

Bono Once said If we make 3 bad albums we are out.... well bono.... this is itˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ

the last good thing they did risking their "everything" was POP 1997 after that everything is B.S....
money money more moneyˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ

I'm going to the 360 shows in mexico city ... And I'm gonna take a flag that says "U2 PLEASE PLEASE RETIRED" ...

I'm sorry...Just so I read this right...You're going to go see them just to wave a sign asking them to retire? That's like marrying a woman just so you can look forward to divorcing her, no? (someone please help to translate my metaphor)  ???