Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15797 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2011, 07:46:33 AM »
I think going to a U2 show with that sign would be enormously disrespectful to the band and insulting/offensive to those fans who are there who still enjoy U2 (ie ALL OF THEM).

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2011, 07:55:37 AM »
agreed, if you really want to protest then don't buy a ticket.

Offline lasteno

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
I really dont care it honest and I'll do it,, I just to love U2 but I want to believe that after Pop mart they sufer a kind of traumatism and they did not risk anything again, I think that the only onw that stills making a good job is Adam Clayton, the rest is really boring,,, they just to change and play future sounds,, avery album, after pop, it just stopsˇ....
3 shows... " U2 PLEASE RETIRED "  at least they gonna watch somethiing diferent in the crow,, and think....straightˇˇˇˇˇˇ
I think that what U2 needs isa hard slap in the faceˇˇˇ nobody try to say the tryth u2 is overˇ.... what you are listening from 2000 to 2010 is the remains of a great band... that's all,,, I mean "in a little while" what a waist of time... stand up comedyˇ what a predictable song.---- in 10 years of songs,, as music structure and music innovation ...just beatiful day. unknow caller, winter, and 3 more.. songs thats all... the remains of a great band..

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2011, 10:49:51 AM »
Wow. That really sucks. I cant believe someone would waste money on 3 shows just to tell U2 to retire. I'm going to 4 (maybe 5) shows and I spent a lot of money on this... sure as hell not going to go insult my favorite band... And I definitely do not want them to retire. You make me want to go to Mexico just to wave a sign that says, "Don't listen to that the reject." If I were standing next to you, I'd want my sign to say, "NOT WITH STUPID" and have an arrow pointing to you.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
if you really want to protest then don't buy a ticket.

QFT.

I protest my displeasure of U2 booking yet another all stadium European tour by not spending any of my hard earned money on concert tickets.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
I really dont care it honest and I'll do it,, I just to love U2 but I want to believe that after Pop mart they sufer a kind of traumatism and they did not risk anything again, I think that the only onw that stills making a good job is Adam Clayton, the rest is really boring,,, they just to change and play future sounds,, avery album, after pop, it just stopsˇ....
3 shows... " U2 PLEASE RETIRED "  at least they gonna watch somethiing diferent in the crow,, and think....straightˇˇˇˇˇˇ
I think that what U2 needs isa hard slap in the faceˇˇˇ nobody try to say the tryth u2 is overˇ.... what you are listening from 2000 to 2010 is the remains of a great band... that's all,,, I mean "in a little while" what a waist of time... stand up comedyˇ what a predictable song.---- in 10 years of songs,, as music structure and music innovation ...just beatiful day. unknow caller, winter, and 3 more.. songs thats all... the remains of a great band..

Better Spell Check that sign you're gonna make

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »

Better Spell Check that sign you're gonna make

More like a grammar check.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »

More like a grammar check.

Maybe he's trying to say that U2 are "retarded"? Or "retried"? "Refried"?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
The OP is Mexican and does not speak English as a first language. As rude and inappropriate as I think their plan is, I think we should still be culturally sensitive to that.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
i say fair play to the guy. it's funny imagining how bono would react seeing a sign telling the band to retire. the guy is obviously mirroring the opinion of a substantial minority of u2 fans.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:51 AM »
i say fair play to the guy. it's funny imagining how bono would react seeing a sign telling the band to retire. the guy is obviously mirroring the opinion of a substantial minority of u2 fans.

I dont think it's funny because I think U2 internalizes comments like these.... they cant shut out their own inner critics so seeing live ones only make their inner critics louder.

JT Bono, though, might have really laid into him/her. :)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:25 AM »

It is a legitimate question, after all. What some people don't seem to realize is that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. The most vocal critics of U2 on this forum are only demonstrating how much they actually care about this band, and when you care about someone you want what's best for them.

For example, if I could travel back in time I would tell the producers of Alias or The X-Files to shut down production of their shows and quit after seasons 3 and 5, respectively. It's not that I didn't love those shows, I did, but the fact that they didn't know when to end and thus went on for too long served to taint even their earlier greatness.

I'm not saying this is the case with U2, but I am saying that with any lucrative form of art (like the TV shows I mentioned), the temptation from those who are being enriched by the artist will be for the performers to keep riding the wave forever, even if the output is sub-par or even embarrassing.

I think U2 has one more chance to either (1) regain commercial success, or (2) regain artistic credibility. But if their next album neither becomes a huge hit nor is recognized as a true artistic triumph, then my money says they're done. And that may be a good thing, because it might be what best for them in the long run.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »

It is a legitimate question, after all. What some people don't seem to realize is that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. The most vocal critics of U2 on this forum are only demonstrating how much they actually care about this band, and when you care about someone you want what's best for them.

For example, if I could travel back in time I would tell the producers of Alias or The X-Files to shut down production of their shows and quit after seasons 3 and 5, respectively. It's not that I didn't love those shows, I did, but the fact that they didn't know when to end and thus went on for too long served to taint even their earlier greatness.

I'm not saying this is the case with U2, but I am saying that with any lucrative form of art (like the TV shows I mentioned), the temptation from those who are being enriched by the artist will be for the performers to keep riding the wave forever, even if the output is sub-par or even embarrassing.

I think U2 has one more chance to either (1) regain commercial success, or (2) regain artistic credibility. But if their next album neither becomes a huge hit nor is recognized as a true artistic triumph, then my money says they're done. And that may be a good thing, because it might be what best for them in the long run.

that's what a lot of people here don't realise about u2 'bashers' like me. i want to see u2 maintain the greatness which i feel they have lost over the last decade. u2 remind me of mohammed ali; he was great for years, then lost some of that greatness. but he had one last hurrah with the rumble in the jungle which returned him to his rightful place on the throne. i still feel u2 have more to give, as long as musical integrity gets in the way of the commercial influences which have become all too apparent lately.

i am simply not willing to sit on my hands and pretend every thing they do is wonderful, whilst in reality mediocrity is creeping into some of their choices. we can still be fans and offer constructive criticism when we want to. we have earned that right. afterall, critical fans like many on these threads have contributed financially to "their great lives" aswell.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:00:49 PM by miami »

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 01:39:13 PM »

nloth sold over 5 million copies by 2009 which in todays music is pretty good no group ever again will sell as many albums as they did in the 80s.. never going to happen no matter what type of album comes out.. as for the 2nd chance surely artistic credibility is a matter of  a persons own opinion i remember when jt and ab came out people hated those albums and said u2 were done back then.. as for me while i hate sexy boots  and crazy tonight i think  nloth is better overall than either of the 2 albums that came before it and i do listen to it alot more..and as for popularity u2 are in the middle of the highest attended rock shows in musical history just watch the reports from south america on youtube .. u2 are over.. if anything getting bigger would they have sold 3 sell outs in argentina during zoo tv. doubt it.in fact i remember a zoo tv show in italy being canceled.. today that never happens in fact they pack even more people in..however i do agree war, uf, jt, ab were for me 4 of the greatest albums from any band ever ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:04:45 PM by imedi »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

nloth sold over 5 million copies by 2009 which in todays music is pretty good no group ever again will sell as many albums as they did in the 80s.. never going to happen no matter what type of album comes out.. as for the 2nd chance surely artistic credibility is a matter of  a persons own opinion i remember when jt and ab came out people hated those albums and said u2 were done back then.. as for me while i hate sexy boots  and crazy tonight i think  nloth is better overall than either of the 2 albums that came before it and i do listen to it alot more..and as for popularity u2 are in the middle of the highest attended rock shows in musical history just watch the reports from south america on youtube .. u2 are over.. if anything getting bigger would they have sold 3 sell outs in argentina during zoo tv. doubt it.in fact i remember a zoo tv show in italy being canceled.. today that never happens in fact they pack even more people in..however i do agree war, uf, jt, ab were for me 4 of the greatest albums from any band ever ...

i agree with you. Relatively speaking, nloth sold very well in today's musical climate. i believe the album was far and away their best since pop, albeit with a few throwaway songs in there. it's their abandonment of the album as well as their 'tactics' on this tour which has left me fearing the dreaded retreat towards atyclb territory for future releases.