Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15715 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »
I suggest that if ATYCLB and HTDAAB were to have been released in 2011 they would have been lucky to have shipped half of what they did.

The nature of the recorded music industry has changed that much over the last 10 years or so.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2011, 02:24:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I suggest that if ATYCLB and HTDAAB were to have been released in 2011 they would have been lucky to have shipped half of what they did.

The nature of the recorded music industry has changed that much over the last 10 years or so.

Agreed, it's almost as if U2 are striving for something that doesn't even exist anymore.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2011, 02:48:45 PM »

But there's a related-yet-bigger issue here, which is the cultural radar. Even if, for the sake of argument, the amount of units that Bomb sold in 2004 is the rough equivalent of what NLOTH sold in 2009 (mutatis mutandis), the fact is that the latter made no blip on the radar of the culture whatsoever, despite a relentless promotional campaign.

So I still stick to my point above. Unless U2 can manage with their next album either to achieve popular success like they did with Behind and Bomb, or to garner serious critical acclaim, then their days will be numbered.

As one of you pointed out, yes, their tour is hugely successful. But we have a label for bands who tour successfully in support of utterly forgettable new material....
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:50:28 PM by The Exile »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »

But there's a related-yet-bigger issue here, which is the cultural radar. Even if, for the sake of argument, the amount of units that Bomb sold in 2004 is the rough equivalent of what NLOTH sold in 2009 (mutatis mutandis), the fact is that the latter made no blip on the radar of the culture whatsoever, despite a relentless promotional campaign.

I think the reason for that is the lead singles were not as radio friendly as Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, and COBL.  Radio airplay is a good way of becoming a blip on the radar of popular culture.  That, and featuring in an episode of CSI.

So I still stick to my point above. Unless U2 can manage with their next album either to achieve popular success like they did with Behind and Bomb, or to garner serious critical acclaim, then their days will be numbered.

Related to my point above, maybe that's what Baron Greenback means when he says that the new album has "lots of hits".  Many of the great songs from Achtung Baby received a lot of airplay, as I recall.

As one of you pointed out, yes, their tour is hugely successful. But we have a label for bands who tour successfully in support of utterly forgettable new material....

U2 have become a greatest hits band even when supporting their most artistically successful album in over a decade.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
You don't need a good ALBUM you need a good SINGLE.

Beautiful Day sold ATYCLB. Vertigo single-handedly sold HTDAAB. One good single is all it will take to get them back on the radar. It worked with Sunday Bloody Sunday/New Year's Day after October, it worked with One after Rattle & Ham, and it worked with Beautiful Day after Pop.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »

NLOTH sold relatively well, given market conditions, without a good lead single.

You need a good single to sell lots of singles but in our age of digital downloads they won't necessarily help sell *albums*

I bet that the majority of people who bought NLOTH were pre-existing U2 fans.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
Right. I know bands who did good singles and I just bought the singles themselves on iTunes, not the whole album.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2011, 04:09:57 PM »

NLOTH sold relatively well, given market conditions, without a good lead single.

You need a good single to sell lots of singles but in our age of digital downloads they won't necessarily help sell *albums*

Even as a huge U2 fan, after hearing Boots, I was disappointed. It felt like a muddy lo fi redux of Vertigo. It tempered my anticipation somewhat. I can only imagine the impact it had on casual or non-fans.

However, the samples of No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, and Cedars Of Lebanon that I heard before the album came out reignited my excitement for it.  

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »
wow...just popped in to the forum for the first time in a while, and there is seriously SO much discussion about U2's future goin on right now.  I'm not even going to attempt to comment.  Way too busy to get into the discussions.

But I do have to voice this question.

What happens when U2 really ARE over? As in no longer recording, touring, doing new music, period.  It's gonna come by the time their live nation contracts are up.  Seriously, guys, lets enjoy what they have to offer while it lasts.  Cuz the boys aren't goin on forever.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »

Even as a huge U2 fan, after hearing Boots, I was disappointed. It felt like a muddy lo fi redux of Vertigo. It tempered my anticipation somewhat. I can only imagine the impact it had on casual or non-fans.

However, the samples of No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, and Cedars Of Lebanon that I heard before the album came out reignited my excitement for it.  

I agree; I was decidedly underwhelmed by Boots as well.  I thought to myself, five years is a long wait for that.

But, if Boots was radio friendly, would it have helped sell copies of NLOTH or would it have just sold a lot of digital downloads of that song?

And would NLOTH, Magnificent, or Cedars have enticed casual record buyers to buy the new U2 album?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »

I agree; I was decidedly underwhelmed by Boots as well.  I thought to myself, five years is a long wait for that.

But, if Boots was radio friendly, would it have helped sell copies of NLOTH or would it have just sold a lot of digital downloads of that song?

And would NLOTH, Magnificent, or Cedars have enticed casual record buyers to buy the new U2 album?

I think Magnificent or NLOTH would have. Possibly Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy as well.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2011, 04:42:38 PM »

I think Magnificent or NLOTH would have. Possibly Crazy Tonight and Stand Up Comedy as well.

That's where our agreement parts company.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2011, 06:06:40 PM »

That's where our agreement parts company.

What would have made a good lead single in your opinion?

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »

not sure i agree ..dont think crazy tonight and stand up comedy have gone down that well live

Offline lasteno

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »
well well,, "gramatica"... ja, English German Spanish Arab French , anyway "U2 please Retire" I think is a good message.
I am a U2 fan but just a little angry, u2 is not u2 anymore.. u2 can do so much more that's what bothers me, and U2 is the only band in the world how can give us music from the future,, when I hear gone is too advanced,,,, Mmm, is like hearing a song from 2030