Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15775 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm sorry, but I think U2 deliberately position themselves outside of the current rock music scene, so they cannot be compared to any trends and bands, to avoid criticism and thus be labelled living legends instead of has beens. To be honest, Radiohead's artistic and career-building influence on other bands is likely much greater than that of U2, whether one likes their music or not.

REM are truly has beens commercially, but that is only because they took the chance when the pop-savvy and minded Bill Berry left to explore some new ideas. They refused to become what U2 have (creating classic sounding records for 3 more albums). They did not want to shackle themselves to hit singles, world tours and constantly comparing sizes with peers. I don't think they stand a chance anymore, or that their last three albums are game changing or career defining,  but they did what THEY wanted to do.

U2 probably did what the brand demanded them to do, and that was not measured in creativity and free musical expression, but their supposed mastery of pop songwriting. That didn't work out as well as they hoped, so I'm eager to hear where they go from here. They might even give up some more of the U2 sound to chase chart success. I'm waiting...

While I agree to an extent, REM doing exactly what they wanted to do also led to them producing what they themselves call their worst album ever, and an album which they just really weren't that interested in. Their RETURN to form actually came when they deliberately started to echo what people loved about REM again.

satellitedog01

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »
Well, that's how you connect with masses of people, give them what they liked about you all along. It's probably not easy to swallow if you want to do something new and unprecedented.

Actually U2 have done the right commercial moves up to No Line imo. but it might be a dangerous thing if they got trapped in the loop of balancing art and commercial appeal. It doesn't work. Also nowadays the challenges of the world U2 can reflect on are so malleable and complex it is harder to maintain a firm stance on either side while promoting a mass product.

Another thing I think hurts them is their past visibility so to say. I guess ATYCLB and Vertigo and the Vertigo tour got them media saturation, just like ZooTV and Popmart did, and people were either satisfied completely or overfed with the massive amounts of media presence. No Line might have suffered from this. 

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 11:32:59 AM »

This coming from someone who regards his favorite artist, Justin Bieber, as an artist who's career is mirroring that of U2.

Jick my friend, REM and Radiohead are not has-beens, and U2 regard both bands EXTREMELY highly. I know this for a fact, because when I met Bono I discussed these 2 artists with him as I am a big fan of both of them! Right now, I'm sure U2 would like to be where Radiohead and REM are at, able to record exciting new albums and release them quickly.

I never made declarations of Justin Bieber being my favorite artist. 

REM and Radiohead are has-beens.  Just because U2's opinion of them is high - that doesn't mean they still have clout, influence, or relevance in the music industry.  U2 still do have theirs but slowly slipping and fading.

So in summary, yes U2 are over and its time for them to plot a graceful exit without cheapening the brand they have built over the years or tarnishing their legacy.

Cheers,

J

I did not say it did mean that. Prove to me Jick, in your seemingly infinite wisdom, that Radiohead are has beens? What is a has been in your mind? Someone who releases an very high standard album of new material, or a band playing a greatest hits tour who are not releasing anything for at least another 6-8 months?

Im not saying U2 are has-beens, I do not think their career is over. Yes, both Radiohead's and U2's career's are probably in their twilight years, but I do not regard either of them as has-beens, as you so eloquently put it.

Anyways, what's wrong with has-beens? The Beatles are has beens and their albums still sell very well and their music and influence is still relevant today.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »

Nobody seems to be telling that to all the artists who keep on releasing albums such as R.E.M or Radiohead, among many many others.

REM and Radiohead are precisely the "has-beens" U2 are trying to avoid becoming.  They release albums with little fanfare, no one caring, little sales, and they would be lucky to even fill an arena at their prices.  If they charge U2 ticket prices, no one would even bother.  These are acts who used to be U2's peers but have gone on to irrelevance.

U2 have still managed to have a decent debut for NLOTH and are embarking on the biggest stadium tour in history now.  Apples and oranges.  To compare U2 to these "has-been" artists is an insult to them.  That is precisely why U2 probably will never release an album anytime in the near future.  They need to carefully plot their marketing, distribution, and selling methods to ensure they still are within their high standards and parameters.  They will never stoop down to the level of the two artists you just mentioned.

Cheers,

J

Now I know you're either deluded or just being provocative.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:31 AM »
^ NOW you know?  :D

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »
I appreciate the irony of the original poster. There is too much drama about U2 on the internet...always has been.

I remember the "sell outs!" cries with ATYCLB and HTDAAB and NLOTH. The critisisms of 3rd leg Elevation setlists. And Vertigo setlists. And 360 setlists.

First off, can we drop the "I was a U2 fan first so I know them better"  attitude ? Every big fan knows their story period. And every *real fan* (another precious invention by the internet couch critics) should know the $$ was never the ultimate goal, or U2 absolutely has no idea how to get it. If you haven't been satisfied with the albums and/or tours since 2000...well, there is always the option of moving on. There are other bands. The majority of internet U2 fans are 90's fanatics so it's not at all surprising they dislike the 00's U2. It would appear the worldwide U2 audience doesn't share that opinion.

Second, U2 is not REM (who haven't been the same band since Bill Berry left) or Radiohead (who manage to get more press for the "innovative" release methods rather than the actual music), and they operate differently. However all of them are making exactly the music they want.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:13:30 PM by xy »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »
^ NOW you know?  :D

What can I say; I'm good at suspending my disbelief.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »
I'm sorry, but I think U2 deliberately position themselves outside of the current rock music scene, so they cannot be compared to any trends and bands, to avoid criticism and thus be labelled living legends instead of has beens. To be honest, Radiohead's artistic and career-building influence on other bands is likely much greater than that of U2, whether one likes their music or not.

REM are truly has beens commercially, but that is only because they took the chance when the pop-savvy and minded Bill Berry left to explore some new ideas. They refused to become what U2 have (creating classic sounding records for 3 more albums). They did not want to shackle themselves to hit singles, world tours and constantly comparing sizes with peers. I don't think they stand a chance anymore, or that their last three albums are game changing or career defining,  but they did what THEY wanted to do.

U2 probably did what the brand demanded them to do, and that was not measured in creativity and free musical expression, but their supposed mastery of pop songwriting. That didn't work out as well as they hoped, so I'm eager to hear where they go from here. They might even give up some more of the U2 sound to chase chart success. I'm waiting...

While I agree to an extent, REM doing exactly what they wanted to do also led to them producing what they themselves call their worst album ever, and an album which they just really weren't that interested in.

Which were they?

Their RETURN to form actually came when they deliberately started to echo what people loved about REM again.

They've collapsed into now the sounds of their entire career.

I wouldn't have a problem with U2 making a similar album, but only if it is infused with sounds from ALL their past music.  And I wouldn't have a problem with Lanois and Eno producing that album.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »

While I agree to an extent, REM doing exactly what they wanted to do also led to them producing what they themselves call their worst album ever, and an album which they just really weren't that interested in.

Which were they?

Their RETURN to form actually came when they deliberately started to echo what people loved about REM again.

I wouldn't have a problem with U2 making a similar album, but only if it is infused with sounds from ALL their past music.  And I wouldn't have a problem with Lanois and Eno producing that album.

Then I guess you don't have a problem with NLOTH ?

satellitedog01

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
Or Bomb...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »

Which were they?

Absolutely not.  NLOTH is one of my top 6 U2 albums and for the first year of its release I considered it their best album since Achtung Baby.

I would have preferred a more cohesive sound, but even I enjoy listening to I'll Go Crazy.  I like to think Crazy Boots SUC were their last concession to commerciality.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
Or Bomb...

I don't hear elements of the sound of AB, JT, TUF, Zooropa, Pop, R&H, in Bomb.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:24 PM »

REM are truly has beens commercially, but that is only because they took the chance when the pop-savvy and minded Bill Berry left to explore some new ideas. They refused to become what U2 have (creating classic sounding records for 3 more albums). They did not want to shackle themselves to hit singles, world tours and constantly comparing sizes with peers. I don't think they stand a chance anymore, or that their last three albums are game changing or career defining,  but they did what THEY wanted to do.

Which were they?

I wouldn't have a problem with U2 making a similar album, but only if it is infused with sounds from ALL their past music.  And I wouldn't have a problem with Lanois and Eno producing that album.

Absolutely not.  NLOTH is one of my top 6 U2 albums and for the first year of its release I considered it their best album since Achtung Baby.

I would have preferred a more cohesive sound, but even I enjoy listening to I'll Go Crazy.  I like to think Crazy Boots SUC were their last concession to commerciality.

I would have preferred a more clear lyrical approach from Bono. I think their best work - UF, JT, AB - relies as much on him, as it does on the Edge (who clearly isn't trying very hard for the last 3 albums). In the company of good song collections and bad albums, NLOTH is the best work since AB. I truly do think they can do better than the post AB records.

I never hated Crazy SUC, but Boots is the weakest link on the album and a terrible lead single.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:31:59 PM by xy »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »
the Edge (who clearly isn't trying very hard for the last 3 albums).

Vertigo is musically striking, and was very fresh sounding for U2 at the time. A Man And A Woman was also very unique sounding. The last half of Crumbs From Your Table is the best guitar Edge has done since The Fly.

Beautiful Day, Kite, When I Look At The World, Grace, Stuck In A Moment and New York are musically striking from ATYCLB.

Fez - Being Born and Cedars Of Lebanon also stand out on NLOTH.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »
the Edge (who clearly isn't trying very hard for the last 3 albums).

Vertigo is musically striking, and was very fresh sounding for U2 at the time. A Man And A Woman was also very unique sounding. The last half of Crumbs From Your Table is the best guitar Edge has done since The Fly.

Beautiful Day, Kite, When I Look At The World, Grace, Stuck In A Moment and New York are musically striking from ATYCLB.

Fez - Being Born and Cedars Of Lebanon also stand out on NLOTH.

Vertigo was nice, and arguably the single most memorable and genuinely fresh guitar from him. Honourable mention IALW and White as snow.

A man and a woman sounds like the glossy pop they were working on ATYCLB. Crumbs is circa JT U2/meets Wak on. BD owes to Eno's synth more than anything else. Kite is a throw back to JT U2. WILATW - 90's guitar. Grace is boring by his standards. NY is verses reminscent of UF era U2 with a 90's U2 chorus guitar.

FEZ is Zooropa U2 mixed up with UF U2. Cedars of Lebanon strikes me as Pop era U2.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:55:56 PM by xy »