Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15850 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

There are numerous artists out there that praise recent works by Radiohead.

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

And wasn't Kid A voted best album of the '00s by Rolling Stone?

lol

Yeah, Jick really got his facts straight regarding Radiohead eh?

Maybe he's confusing them with "Talkingheads."

Did you get my messages Ex?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »
maybe i'm biased <and def not a music snob, though i am opinionated> but i think their relevance has grown exponentially since H&D hit the airwaves, peaking during the Kid A/Amnesiac days

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2011, 05:18:31 PM »
Can we please now stop this U2 thread from being hijacked by the Radiohead brigade. 

Thank You.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
The Radiohead brigade is over!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Did you get my messages Ex?

Yep, just replied. Sorry it took so long!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2011, 05:24:05 PM »
As dismal as POP was, it was still the 1997 album of the year in my books - easily beating Radiohead's OK Computer or Dylan's Time Out Of Mind.

U2 should be measured based on their own standards and not other people's standards.

That is why I find it ridiculous to compare U2 to has-been acts.  For me, if U2 can no longer meet their high standards, they should call it a day.  And no way are they jealous of Radiohead.  That is just absurd.

Cheers,

J

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2011, 05:25:21 PM »
As dismal as POP was, it was still the 1997 album of the year in my books - easily beating Radiohead's OK Computer

absurd

Cheers,

DS

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2011, 05:27:49 PM »
As dismal as POP was, it was still the 1997 album of the year in my books - easily beating Radiohead's OK Computer or Dylan's Time Out Of Mind.

U2 should be measured based on their own standards and not other people's standards.

That is why I find it ridiculous to compare U2 to has-been acts.  For me, if U2 can no longer meet their high standards, they should call it a day.  And no way are they jealous of Radiohead.  That is just absurd.

Cheers,

J

And just like clockwork..........

And I never measured U2's standards to Radioheads. And I never even implied that U2 would be remotely jealous of Radiohead. Where do you get this stuff Jick?

You don't seem to able to handle the fact that someone can like both bands. And again, they are not has-beens

satellitedog01

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2011, 05:36:45 PM »
in response to Dice:

Okay. I have to get back to Bomb a bit anyway.
Bomb had all the elements of previous U2 music (minus the sonics of Pop) The Joshua Tree was represented by City of Blinding Lights and Yahweh and TUF era U2 got an homage from A Man and a Woman (similar in mood and general feel to Love Comes Tumbling).  Crumbs was a younger brother to Gone, Love and Peace was a modernized (Achtung esque) R&H blues, Vertigo carried the legacy of Boy, Miracle Drug and Original of the species were the modern classicist pop U2 with more sophisticated song structures but mainstream sounds. All Because of You  is an odd one, reminiscent of the Who and stuff U2 wrote during the changeover from R&H and AB. Sometimes is both a modern and Zooropa era reminiscent classic. One Step follows in the footprints of The First Time's and Grace's minimalism to an underwhelming result. So I guess Bomb is very much a sausage of a U2 album.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »

And I never measured U2's standards to Radioheads. And I never even implied that U2 would be remotely jealous of Radiohead. Where do you get this stuff Jick?

You don't seem to able to handle the fact that someone can like both bands. And again, they are not has-beens

I never singled you out.  One post here stated: "It's possible U2 is jealous, for all we know, of Radiohead's freedom given that U2 is still saddled into a multi-record contract."

And yes, I do love Radiohead.  "Creep" is one of the great anthems of my generation.

Cheers,

J

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »

I never singled you out.  One post here stated: "It's possible U2 is jealous, for all we know, of Radiohead's freedom given that U2 is still saddled into a multi-record contract."

And yes, I do love Radiohead.  "Creep" is one of the great anthems of my generation.

Cheers,

J

I give up  ???

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
in response to Dice:

Okay. I have to get back to Bomb a bit anyway.
Bomb had all the elements of previous U2 music (minus the sonics of Pop) The Joshua Tree was represented by City of Blinding Lights

the majority of your post has me confused but what is it about COBL that makes you think its JT like?

satellitedog01

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
First, to clear it up, I forgot to answer a comment on Bomb a couple of pages ago, wanted to clear that up.

Second, City of Blinding Lights is very much an attempt at a Streets like anthem. It's a great tune, but it still sounds like a descendant of Streets.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:55 PM »
First, to clear it up, I forgot to answer a comment on Bomb a couple of pages ago, wanted to clear that up.

Second, City of Blinding Lights is very much an attempt at a Streets like anthem. It's a great tune, but it still sounds like a descendant of Streets.

Who cares what its ancestry is, a great song is a great song and, in fact, I think it's even better than its illustrious ancestor.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2011, 06:39:53 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

There are numerous artists out there that praise recent works by Radiohead.

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

And wasn't Kid A voted best album of the '00s by Rolling Stone?

lol

Yeah, Jick really got his facts straight regarding Radiohead eh?

I was lol-ing Kid A being named Best Album of the 00s. It's unlistenable.