Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15815 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2011, 12:48:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Eno sheen was fine with TUF and TJT but I consider the '90s albums the sound of Flood rather than Eno. He used his own methods and techniques which gave results I prefer to the plasticy cleanness of ATYCLB and NoLine. It was very obvious Eno/Lanois' (or the band's to be fair) production's messing with the energy of the tunes right from the moment I heard the early live version of the title track from Dublin HQ. The song came alive and became better than the album track.

Agree with this, totally!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2011, 01:24:24 PM »

If HTDAAB was as liked as you propose, why wouldn't those people have rushed out and bought NLOTH?

BECAUSE THESE GUYS WAIT FIVE YEARS BETWEEN RELEASING ALBUMS NOW!!!!

At the rate they're going, the demographic they're trying to reach with each album will only be in kindergarten when they enter the studio, so they'll have to do a good job anticipating what kind of music those 5 year-olds will like when they turn 12 and the albums gets released.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:41 PM »

If HTDAAB was as liked as you propose, why wouldn't those people have rushed out and bought NLOTH?

At the rate they're going, the demographic they're trying to reach with each album will only be in kindergarten when they enter the studio, so they'll have to do a good job anticipating what kind of music those 5 year-olds will like when they turn 12 and the albums gets released.

Exactly. Also consider that albums are sold by 1) word of mouth. one person likes the records and tells others or plays it when they are around or 2) a great single which is heard lots on the radio.

To get to over 10 million in sales an album would need both of these. Bomb had it.

No Line didn't. 1st single was the worst of their career. 2nd single, Magnificant, did nothing, same for Crazy. I can honestly say I have not once heard Magnificant or Crazy on the radio.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »

That seems a bit of an overreaction for something which has happened a grand total of once and almost certainly won't be happening again in the near future. I return again to my earlier note about hyperbole. There is no trend at all of releases getting steadily slower as they go on, except that they are slower as a whole in the 1993-2010 period than previously. The gap before HTDAAB was smaller than the gap before Pop. The NLOTH gap was unusually long due to the extension of the Vertigo Tour.

satellitedog01

« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2011, 02:32:58 PM »
Please don't count Passengers out Caller...
It was a U2 release as far as fans are concerned and all the friends' friends knew about it, Miss Sarajevo too was actually a popular tune with a video on MTV that got decent airplay, so non fans got to see U2 in '95. It wasn't a U2 album by name, but it was well known.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »

The NLOTH gap was unusually long due to the extension of the Vertigo Tour.

...and the need to over-think and tinker with the album.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »
It was a U2 release as far as fans are concerned and all the friends' friends knew about it, Miss Sarajevo too was actually a popular tune with a video on MTV that got decent airplay, so non fans got to see U2 in '95. It wasn't a U2 album by name, but it was well known.

I'll count Passengers if you'll count Spider-Man!  ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2011, 02:38:45 PM »

I was aware of it but I didn't think of it as a bona fide U2 album, which is probably why I didn't buy it.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:51 PM »

I'll count Passengers if you'll count Spider-Man!  ;)

Passengers is an interesting album with some very good music, where as Spiderman is... well, I don't even know what it is.

satellitedog01

« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:04 PM »
I would consider Spiderman if it got released by now as a full length soundtrack (min. 8-10 tracks) , featuring Bono and Edge on vocals and guitars, and with Adam and Larry on their respective instruments accompanying the songs (if only credited as session musicians eventually).

With Passengers you got all members of U2 participating, co-written/performed by Eno and numerous guests. It was a natural expansion of the ZooTV project, so in nature much more a U2 record than Turn Off the Dark.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
I most definitely count Passengers as a U2 album. And an exceptionally good one at that.

satellitedog01

« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 03:27:04 PM »
Yip. Along with Pop they are the ones I still listen to semi-regularly.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2011, 03:28:31 PM »

1st single was the worst of their career.

A Day Without Me
Fire

;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2011, 03:32:47 PM »
A Day Without Me is a far better tune.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
Yip. Along with Pop they are the ones I still listen to semi-regularly.

What about the others?