Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15699 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the Edge (who clearly isn't trying very hard for the last 3 albums).

Vertigo is musically striking, and was very fresh sounding for U2 at the time.

It's so striking that it has featured in an episode of CSI.  I mean, like, how cool is that, dude? 

A Man And A Woman was also very unique sounding.

It is 'unique sounding' for U2 and it sounds like a Chris Rea song.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
So what exactly would The Edge need to do to satisfy you, xy? They have 12 albums, 30 years of history, and at least 200 songs released. The man can only do so much.

I also do not hear several of the comparisons you make. Especially Cedars. If that had shown up on Pop it would have stood out like a sore thumb. The closest from that album it comes to sounding like is Wake Up Dead Man and even then, they are two entirely different sounds: WUDM is twangy, off kilter acoustic guitar and warbly vocals. CoL is ambient synth and noise with subtle guitar/drumming and nearly spoken word whispered vocals mixed with a falsetto, tender chorus.

Also, Grace is one of very few songs of U2's that is led almost entirely by a bass line.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2011, 01:57:12 PM »
So what exactly would The Edge need to do to satisfy you, xy? They have 12 albums, 30 years of history, and at least 200 songs released. The man can only do so much.

I also do not hear several of the comparisons you make. Especially Cedars. If that had shown up on Pop it would have stood out like a sore thumb. The closest from that album it comes to sounding like is Wake Up Dead Man and even then, they are two entirely different sounds: WUDM is twangy, off kilter acoustic guitar and warbly vocals. CoL is ambient synth and noise with subtle guitar/drumming and nearly spoken word whispered vocals mixed with a falsetto, tender chorus.

Dropping the cliche rock-star riffs would be a good start. And laying off the vintage chimes. It was the point, I suppose, to get back to classic U2 sounds on Bomb. On NLOTH it's getting boring.

There is more to The Edge than that, and I know he can prove it, he just needs to come up with some new ideas.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:02:59 PM by xy »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 01:59:48 PM »
What I'd give for the return of the ISHFWILF guitars sound.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »

Walk On and Unknown Caller have essentially the identical riff as ISHFWILF.

I found NLOTH far from boring, Unknown Caller aside.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »

Walk On and Unknown Caller have essentially the identical riff as ISHFWILF.

I wasn't referring to the 'riff'.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 03:29:45 PM »
I did not say it did mean that. Prove to me Jick, in your seemingly infinite wisdom, that Radiohead are has beens? What is a has been in your mind? Someone who releases an very high standard album of new material, or a band playing a greatest hits tour who are not releasing anything for at least another 6-8 months?

Im not saying U2 are has-beens, I do not think their career is over. Yes, both Radiohead's and U2's career's are probably in their twilight years, but I do not regard either of them as has-beens, as you so eloquently put it.

Anyways, what's wrong with has-beens? The Beatles are has beens and their albums still sell very well and their music and influence is still relevant today.

Radiohead recorded Creep which was a massive hit then followed it up with High And Dry.  Ever since then they have faded into obscurity and only the hardcore musical snobs "get" their music.  Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album? How much attendance do they get in their shows?  How are ticket prices and frequency of touring?

The Beatles never had time to be has-beens.  They broke up at their peak and had a short career.  U2, on the other hand, have a career spanning over 30 years with the same members and still keeping their relevance and clout to this day with their soldout stadium shows.  If the Beatles stayed on for 30 years, could they have been still selling stadiums that late in their career?  Or would they be tired old popstars doing Vegas and club shows?  We'll never know.  But U2 are special and different from any other band in that regard.

But three decades is a long time and we all want to avoid seeing U2 become tired old popstars who are nostalgia acts and can't sell any new albums and totally lose their relevance.  U2 are almost over but we want that exit to be a graceful one so as not to damage their great legacy and image they have built over the years.

Cheers,

J

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
I did not say it did mean that. Prove to me Jick, in your seemingly infinite wisdom, that Radiohead are has beens? What is a has been in your mind? Someone who releases an very high standard album of new material, or a band playing a greatest hits tour who are not releasing anything for at least another 6-8 months?

Im not saying U2 are has-beens, I do not think their career is over. Yes, both Radiohead's and U2's career's are probably in their twilight years, but I do not regard either of them as has-beens, as you so eloquently put it.

Anyways, what's wrong with has-beens? The Beatles are has beens and their albums still sell very well and their music and influence is still relevant today.

Radiohead recorded Creep which was a massive hit then followed it up with High And Dry.  Ever since then they have faded into obscurity and only the hardcore musical snobs "get" their music.  Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album? How much attendance do they get in their shows?  How are ticket prices and frequency of touring?

The Beatles never had time to be has-beens.  They broke up at their peak and had a short career.  U2, on the other hand, have a career spanning over 30 years with the same members and still keeping their relevance and clout to this day with their soldout stadium shows.  If the Beatles stayed on for 30 years, could they have been still selling stadiums that late in their career?  Or would they be tired old popstars doing Vegas and club shows?  We'll never know.  But U2 are special and different from any other band in that regard.

But three decades is a long time and we all want to avoid seeing U2 become tired old popstars who are nostalgia acts and can't sell any new albums and totally lose their relevance.  U2 are almost over but we want that exit to be a graceful one so as not to damage their great legacy and image they have built over the years.

Cheers,

J

So, Im a hardcore 'snob' beacuse I happen to love and 'get' Radiohead's music eh. Well that then Jick makes you ignorant I'm afraid. (Sorry mods for getting personal, but he got personal first  :P)

Have you ever even tried listening to their heartfelt lyrics and innovative music? You obviously have not, so do not make statements like "they have faded into obscurity since one of their early singles' Ridiculous to say this. -  You may not like them, or their music, Im not saying you have to, each to their own tastes, but to say a band faded into obscurity releasing albums such as OK Computer, Kid A, Hail To The Thief and King Of Limbs is just nonsense I'm afraid.

Your last statement I agree with - but you have not redeemed yourself, sorry.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

There are numerous artists out there that praise recent works by Radiohead.

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »

Exile, have a beer and cheer up, mate!

U2's gonna do something surprising one of these days SOON.

Ha ha, I like your attitude. To quote G.K. Chesterton: "Drink. But only because you're happy, never because you're sad."

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

And wasn't Kid A voted best album of the '00s by Rolling Stone?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

Yea, and the first RH album to hit #1 on the US charts <i believe> plus Karma Police was a much more succesful single then High and Dry. So i dont know where he's getting that they became irrelevant after H&D..........

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:50 PM »

lol

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »

lol

Yeah, Jick really got his facts straight regarding Radiohead eh?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »

lol

Yeah, Jick really got his facts straight regarding Radiohead eh?

Maybe he's confusing them with "Talkingheads."