Author Topic: U2 are Over!  (Read 15711 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: U2 are Over!
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

There are numerous artists out there that praise recent works by Radiohead.

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

And wasn't Kid A voted best album of the '00s by Rolling Stone?

lol

Yeah, Jick really got his facts straight regarding Radiohead eh?

I was lol-ing Kid A being named Best Album of the 00s. It's unlistenable.

lol

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

lol

I know you were, and I know you don't like them, but at least you do not make ridiculous comments about them and sometimes respect other peoples choices, or am I wrong and are you also not democratic like Jick?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »

lol

I know you were, and I know you don't like them, but at least you do not make ridiculous comments about them and sometimes respect other peoples choices, or am I wrong and are you also not democratic like Jick?

And I didn't bring up Kid A being voted best album of the '00s because it's good, but to refute Jick's assertion that post-Creep Radiohead are has-beens.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

lol

I absolutely respect people who like Kid A. I just can't fathom it being considered the best album of the last decade.

And I do actually like The Bends and OK Computer. I just haven't liked anything of theirs since then.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 11:37:32 PM »
Any artist or peer openly admitting to a recent Radiohead album influencing them?  Any awards (Grammies) or recognition for a recent Radiohead album?

And, to answer your second question, In Rainbows (2009) won Best Alternative Album. So, there, now that you know Radiohead won a Grammy I guess it's ok for you to like them.  ::)

lol

I absolutely respect people who like Kid A. I just can't fathom it being considered the best album of the last decade.

And I do actually like The Bends and OK Computer. I just haven't liked anything of theirs since then.

Niether can I - Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows were far better  :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 11:47:25 PM »
I'm replying to a post on the first page, but what I think gets lost in this is that the only reason both the 360 tour and the Vertigo tour continued extremely late and "dragged on" was an entire leg had to be cancelled because of a personal emergency (Bono's back surgery and Edge's daughter's illness)  Its not like they've scheduled years of dates when the tour was announced

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »
First, to clear it up, I forgot to answer a comment on Bomb a couple of pages ago, wanted to clear that up.

Second, City of Blinding Lights is very much an attempt at a Streets like anthem. It's a great tune, but it still sounds like a descendant of Streets.

Who cares what its ancestry is, a great song is a great song and, in fact, I think it's even better than its illustrious ancestor.

This must be the first time I agree with you, TD.  People think I'm crazy when I say City of Blinding Lights is better than Streets  :D

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »
I'm replying to a post on the first page, but what I think gets lost in this is that the only reason both the 360 tour and the Vertigo tour continued extremely late and "dragged on" was an entire leg had to be cancelled because of a personal emergency (Bono's back surgery and Edge's daughter's illness)  Its not like they've scheduled years of dates when the tour was announced

Yes, of course. But given the situation of U2 having to complete a leg of this tour a full year later than scheduled, and given the amount of down-time they've had, they should have taken the opportunity to make this final leg special by releasing an EP or something and integrating even a few of those songs into their shows. It was a great chance they had to do something special, but they seem to have settled for ordinary.

satellitedog01

« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:05 AM »
Or Bomb...

I don't hear elements of the sound of AB, JT, TUF, Zooropa, Pop, R&H, in Bomb.

First, to clear it up, I forgot to answer a comment on Bomb a couple of pages ago, wanted to clear that up.

Second, City of Blinding Lights is very much an attempt at a Streets like anthem. It's a great tune, but it still sounds like a descendant of Streets.

Who cares what its ancestry is, a great song is a great song and, in fact, I think it's even better than its illustrious ancestor.

Sorry Dice but your reply seems random... The relation was brought up because of your above quoted post from page 3.  Anyway, I'm bored by Streets only slightly less than Beautiful Day (well I don't hate it like I hate BD) and I also prefer City. It's one of the few great U2 songs of the '00s.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
Or Bomb...

I don't hear elements of the sound of AB, JT, TUF, Zooropa, Pop, R&H, in Bomb.

Sorry Dice but your reply seems random... The relation was brought up because of your above quoted post from page 3.  Anyway, I'm bored by Streets only slightly less than Beautiful Day (well I don't hate it like I hate BD) and I also prefer City. It's one of the few great U2 songs of the '00s.

I was referring to elements of the 'sound' from those albums I mentioned.

COBL doesn't 'sound' like Streets to me although I see the similarities in song structure.

satellitedog01

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2011, 12:07:13 PM »
Alright. Yeah, the sound is always somewhat dependent on the producers and the year it's recorded in, and what approach Edge is choosing at the given moment. I strongly dislike the artificial sheen of Eno/Lanois produced albums by the way.

The way the songs themselves were combed together for Bomb is pretty much like how Edge described their songwriting sessions, that when they start playing in a room, they come up with songs that are reminiscent of any and all eras of U2 and that time they likely just kept the best tunes of the sessions to keep the essence of what U2 is about. 

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
Alright. Yeah, the sound is always somewhat dependent on the producers and the year it's recorded in, and what approach Edge is choosing at the given moment. I strongly dislike the artificial sheen of Eno/Lanois produced albums by the way.

The way the songs themselves were combed together for Bomb is pretty much like how Edge described their songwriting sessions, that when they start playing in a room, they come up with songs that are reminiscent of any and all eras of U2 and that time they likely just kept the best tunes of the sessions to keep the essence of what U2 is about. 

The problem is that HTDAAB is generally considered by fans to be relatively weak.

I LOVE the Eno sheen. Achtung, Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire have this wonderful mood to their sound.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2011, 12:20:22 PM »

The problem is that HTDAAB is generally considered by fans to be relatively weak.

I LOVE the Eno sheen. Achtung, Zooropa and The Unforgettable Fire have this wonderful mood to their sound.

Considering HTDAAB sold more then double what NLOTH sold, I would disagree with you. It's really only some of the very hardcore fans that like NLOTH more then HTDAAB.

Personally I think that Bomb is much better then No Line

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »

Considering HTDAAB sold more then double what NLOTH sold, I would disagree with you. It's really only some of the very hardcore fans that like NLOTH more then HTDAAB.

Personally I think that Bomb is much better then No Line

HTDAAB sold more because a) more people still bought albums in 2004 than in 2009 b) the monster success of Vertigo and c) the goodwill left over from ATYCLB.

I see the sales drop of NLOTH to be attributable not only to changing music markets, but also partially due to dissatisfaction with HTDAAB. If HTDAAB was as liked as you propose, why wouldn't those people have rushed out and bought NLOTH?

I think HTDAAB lost more fans that it gained.

satellitedog01

« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:24 PM »
The Eno sheen was fine with TUF and TJT but I consider the '90s albums the sound of Flood rather than Eno. He used his own methods and techniques which gave results I prefer to the plasticy cleanness of ATYCLB and NoLine. It was very obvious Eno/Lanois' (or the band's to be fair) production's messing with the energy of the tunes right from the moment I heard the early live version of the title track from Dublin HQ. The song came alive and became better than the album track.