Author Topic: OK you're asked to produce U2's Next Album  (Read 3923 times)

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
OK you're asked to produce U2's Next Album
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
They've asked you for some new direction..... What would your new U2 album sound like?

Mine would be a tacky plastic early 80s synth soud, with a few Whitesnake and bros covers in it

Spannisheyes

Re: OK you're asked to produce U2's Next Album
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
Back to the punk rock genre!!! Or maybe unforgettable fire style :)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:49:36 AM »
First of all I would demand that North Star and Mercy both be on the album.

Second, I would want their album to sound like a combination of the ATYCLB, HTDAAB, NLOTH sounds.  There would be the back to basics sound from ATYCLB, combined with the heavy guitar of HTDAAB, along with the sonic experimentation of songs like Unknown Caller and Fez off of NLOTH

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
I'd force them to go away, dream it all up again and come back with something entirely new, without caring how well they'll do on hit lists. I'm sure they could pull up another AB if they only dared to make music they really like without commercial calculations.

Offline rootedphoenix ~lost in the music~

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Like socks in the dryer....the lives of my days...
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
I'd want to know the shape of what they'd been working on already. That way, I could look for and find the sound (or sounds, gotta have variety) that they've dug up on their own (with help, but yeah). I'd use those as a guide.

I'm not sure I know enough to do what I'm yammering about, but I..I'd like to think I could, lol.

satellitedog01

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:43 AM »
I'd tell them to throw away their brains for a couple of weeks and just write and play U2 songs that would be recorded in one-two sessions, like the songs of poor musos.
Then when we got enough material I'd let them listen to it for a week and list everything they want to change, come up with the changes, record the changes and rerecord the songs with the changes, live in the room. Mix it live, send it off for mastering and release it out of the blue.

It could be followed by a find the clues viral marketing campaign of micro-websites with live sessions and B-side giveaways like I believe in Father Christmas and Neon Lights, and word of mouth/web fuelling of interest leading to a short availability Youtube webcast of a full album gig.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
I want them to collapse everything they've done in their career thus far, into NOW.

satellitedog01

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »
My aim would be to get rid of their anxieties and indecision. Just get some new music out of your system to be able to evolve instead of combing together disparate elements of U2 in a mish-mash album. They could refine and rearrange the songs to their hearts content by the time they go touring.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:29:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I want them to collapse everything they've done in their career thus far, into NOW.

Was there suppose to be an REM reference in there?  ;)

Offline rootedphoenix ~lost in the music~

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Like socks in the dryer....the lives of my days...
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
I did not notice that! LOL that's awesome if so.

(Though it might be very hard to collapse everything.)

hurricane hugo

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:55:33 AM »
They've asked you for some new direction..... What would your new U2 album sound like?

I would want to take advantage of their full dynamic range. the loud parts would be far more aggressive sounding, and the quiet parts would be really quiet. taking a cue from Pink Floyd's '70s work, there would be very little compression used.

#@!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »

I would want to take advantage of their full dynamic range. the loud parts would be far more aggressive sounding, and the quiet parts would be really quiet. taking a cue from Pink Floyd's '70s work, there would be very little compression used.

#@!

+1

actually more like plus a thousand! i love dynamic range so much

Offline Voxare

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »
I would take them away somewhere - something they seem to do a lot when they are recording but I think it is important for them to get away from their everyday lives and family responsiblities in order to be able to make a new record.
I would take them somewhere different to where they've been before - somewhere loud and busy, probably South America or south east Asia. I would make them stay in a cheap hotel - no big suites - I would make them take a break from money and the rockstar lifestyle (I think it clouds the music).
I would restrict their studio time and give them a hard date when the album was going to the printers - finished or not. I think they spend too much time now trying to make everything perfect - in the early days they were pushed because they knew they had to keep releaseing stuff to make it in the music world - now they are not so pressed they take their time and the problem is - they think a lot of their earlier stuff is 'unfinished' - we think it is awesome - they kept going with NLOTH until it felt finished - we feel that it is oveproduced.
The specific sound would be something they need to find - I trust them to be able to do that - but that is the situation I would give them to help them find it :)

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »
go back to post-punk

Spannisheyes

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »
^ agrees!