Poll

Yes or no?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do You Believe "Return of the Stingray Guitar" Is A Song?  (Read 6077 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Do You Believe "Return of the Stingray Guitar" Is A Song?
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
I know this question has been debated (UC and TD *cough*  :D ) around the forum a bunch since the summer, so I was just wondering what everyone thinks.

I say yes, it clearly is

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
Re: Do You Believe "Return of the Stingray Guitar" Is A Song?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
...Yes. I would have thought that was obvious? It's short, yes, but other U2 songs are short too!

Offline ryanm

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:35:59 PM »
Yes, it's a phenomenal intro song that would be a great first track to a new album.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
Well, it's not a 'song' because in music, a song is a composition for voice or voices, performed by *singing*.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:12 PM »
I was standing six feet from the Edge when he played it for the first ever time; it's a song, and there's really no reason whatsoever to believe that it isn't which doesn't also rule out lots of other U2 songs like MLK or 4th of July etc. Plus of course, it's been dubbed a song by U2.com, u2gigs, Rolling Stone, Q... among others. And as I've noted on multiple times, it's quite significant to me that almost everyone who claims that it isn't a song... is someone who hasn't actually seen it live.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was standing six feet from the Edge when he played it for the first ever time; it's a song, and there's really no reason whatsoever to believe that it isn't which doesn't also rule out lots of other U2 songs like MLK or 4th of July etc. Plus of course, it's been dubbed a song by U2.com, u2gigs, Rolling Stone, Q... among others. And as I've noted on multiple times, it's quite significant to me that almost everyone who claims that it isn't a song... is someone who hasn't actually seen it live.

It doesn't really matter how many times you bang your fists down on the table and say "it's a song", it isn't going to make it so.

Neither does the fact that you were standing only 6 feet away from The Edge when he played it.

It is technically not a song.  It's a short instrumental piece, just like 4th of July.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
It is a recording of a piece of music by U2 which is as much a track as any other. True, it is not a 'song' in the classical sense of something with lyrics, however that definition has evolved in popular culture so that instrumental pieces are now very widely considered to be songs. Hence not many people besides yourself are going to claim that 4th of July isn't a song, and likewise, that Stingray isn't. In very strict definitional sense- but it may as well be for all practical intents and purposes.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 04:28:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is a recording of a piece of music by U2 which is as much a track as any other. True, it is not a 'song' in the classical sense of something with lyrics, however that definition has evolved in popular culture so that instrumental pieces are now very widely considered to be songs. Hence not many people besides yourself are going to claim that 4th of July isn't a song, and likewise, that Stingray isn't. In very strict definitional sense- but it may as well be for all practical intents and purposes.

4th of July isn't a song, either.  It's an instrumental track on The Unforgettable fire.

MLK, on the other hand, is a song.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
I will call it a song, but an incomplete song.

It's basically a riff, with small parts that the playing changes.

Nonetheless, it's a song.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:44:50 PM »
I say yes, although instrumental track probably is the more correct term (just because Bono yells annoying things into the microphone in it doesn't mean it has lyrics  ;)).

The Grave

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »
Yes............and It is a good one  ;)

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
It is a song :) and only U2 could write it and play it as the opening song to their concerts. any other band writes it and it completely sucks :D

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 07:20:39 PM »
Yeah....duh.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
Of course it isn't, it's a bloody instrumental.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:25 AM »
It seems very much like a work in progress, almost like a live jam session, but something that needs work - mainly vocals - to be complete, so i'm not very inclined to define it as a 'song'.
I think 'live instrumental', 'tune' or 'track' works for me... i find it hard to define something as a song unless someone is, well, singing in it :D (i think dictionaries say that songs are tunes made for singing, so no voice = not a song)
 If they had released a studio version (which now seems unlikely) with even the most basic vocals, then i'd call it a song.

It's funny, Stingray debuted out of nowhere when u2 made their triumphant return to the stage after Bono's back injury. It re-defined the opening of the 360 show, and accompanied the gigs in which they debuted new songs, and started working on albums. The band seemed to really embrace being a band again, throwing caution to the wind, giving the fans treats, bringing out new material without caring what the repurcussions would be - as bono said during one of these gigs: "It's saturday night! What are you gonna do? Experiment on yerselves!"  8)

Then, when they stopped using it, the shows became more 'greatest hits'-esque, and they dropped plans for a new, impulsive album. By 2011, they had lost that fire.

It's almost like stingray is the soundtrack to that small period in 2010 when U2 became badass again.