Poll

Yes or no?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do You Believe "Return of the Stingray Guitar" Is A Song?  (Read 5985 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: Do You Believe "Return of the Stingray Guitar" Is A Song?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But I think the debate though isn't really about whether it's a 'song' in the technical sense

(with the difference being that U2 are actually playing Stingray, live).

Which means U2 open their show with Stingray

Yes; as an introductory instrumental.

Not a U2 song.

It is an original composition of music made by U2, hence it is a U2 song/track whatever you wanna call it

It is an original composition of instrumental music made by U2, not a song, that they play live as they take the stage.  ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
But I think the debate though isn't really about whether it's a 'song' in the technical sense

(with the difference being that U2 are actually playing Stingray, live).

Which means U2 open their show with Stingray

Yes; as an introductory instrumental.

As the first 'track' they play, as their opening piece of music.

It's the first piece of music that U2 play, yes.

Track #1 on the official PopMart DVD - Live from Mexico City, is listed as Pop Muzik.

In other words, completely different from PopMuzik.

So not completely different.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »
Except that essentially no-one would say that U2 'opened' Popmart with Pop Muzik and this poll pretty clearly indicates, however it may be phrased, that a majority of people would say that they do 'open' 360 with Stingray. :)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 05:00:53 PM »
The thread title asks if you think Stingray is a U2 song, not whether they are playing a song, or instrumental, or anything.

My posts all answer the thread - Stingray is NOT a song, it has no words.

Yes it is a U2 instrumental composition, and yes they play it, but that is not what the thread asks.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
But again, I think we're getting caught up in technical distinctions when what Soapy means- and you can correct me if I'm wrong here, OAP- is a question about whether it's just an 'intro' before Beautiful Day or an actual fully fledged track which opens the 360 Tour. That, I assume based on what's been said, is how most people are voting.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
But again, I think we're getting caught up in technical distinctions when what Soapy means- and you can correct me if I'm wrong here, OAP- is a question about whether it's just an 'intro' before Beautiful Day or an actual fully fledged track which opens the 360 Tour. That, I assume based on what's been said, is how most people are voting.

People are voting wrong then.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »
Except that essentially no-one would say that U2 'opened' Popmart with Pop Muzik

Well, to answer that question we will have to hear from people who attended those shows.  And for completeness, the same people should have attended a 360 show where Stingray was played in order to make the comparison.

If certain people say in a rather condescending way that one had to be at a show when Stingray was played to really know whether it was the *opener* or not, then presumably one would have to have been at a PopMart show to really know whether they considered Pop Muzik to be the opener, or Mofo.

For all intents and purposes Pop Muzik served the same purpose as Stingray in that it allowed Bono to prance around the stage uttering words such as "Mowfoe".

Some people might say that after the Pop Muzik intro U2 got down to business with Mofo, in much the same way as some people might say that U2 got down to business with Beautiful Day after the Stingray intro.

and this poll pretty clearly indicates, however it may be phrased, that a majority of people would say that they do 'open' 360 with Stingray. :)

This poll doesn't ask that question.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 05:16:59 PM »
If certain people say in a rather condescending way that one had to be at a show when Stingray was played to really know whether it was the *opener* or not

Lemme stop you right there and point out that I've never done that.

I have now saved you the trouble of needing to have written the rest of that post.  ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 05:23:57 PM »
If certain people say in a rather condescending way that one had to be at a show when Stingray was played to really know whether it was the *opener* or not

Lemme stop you right there and point out that I've never done that.

You've done that numerous times on this forum in what I feel is a rather condescending way.  It's just that you're not even aware that you're doing it.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 05:48:42 PM »
No, what I have said is that I think it's notable that the majority of people saying it shouldn't count had not seen it live, and the majority of people who saw it live seemed to think it should count. That's really not the same thing. I apologise if you found this condescending at any stage- genuinely.

Of course, I was wrong and I retract that- it looks like a majority of *everyone* thinks it counts.  :)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »

The poll was aimed at whether Stingray is a song or not.  It is an undeniable fact that it is the opening track on the 360 Tour, so that wasnt what I was asking. 

I'm with you TUC, I agree that, while the strict definition of "song" includes vocals, Stingray is a song.  I think the word "song" has been used more loosely today to incorporate instrumentals and the old definition is obsolete

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 06:03:35 PM »

The poll was aimed at whether Stingray is a song or not.  It is an undeniable fact that it is the opening track on the 360 Tour, so that wasnt what I was asking. 

I'm with you TUC, I agree that, while the strict definition of "song" includes vocals, Stingray is a song.  I think the word "song" has been used more loosely today to incorporate instrumentals and the old definition is obsolete

::)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
Except that essentially no-one would say that U2 'opened' Popmart with Pop Muzik

And you would KNOW this how?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 06:09:22 PM »

It's like arguing black is white.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »

It's like arguing black is white.

And its pointless trying to argue with them. We have even been told that even though by definition it is not a song, Stingray is a song.