Author Topic: With basically a Greatest Hits Tour coming to the USA this summer...  (Read 827 times)

Offline Igottogo

• Babyface
I really hope to see them do some unique things with the set list and kind of throw caution to the wind like they did with the Love Town Tour!

I really thought they got over their fears of of not sticking to the norm and changing things up nightly w/ the Vertigo Tour, however, we can all see by the 360 Tour set list they gave that up for pretty much playing it safe night after night (minus the calculated swapping of songs they do every night).

I posted this a while ago, but what I would love, love, love to see, even more than them trying out "new songs" is dedicate portion of the set (3 songs max) to a past album each night (kind of like what they did w/ Boy on the 1st leg of the Vertigo Tour).  And they couldn't be just the hit songs off the album.

So, maybe you will get to be there on POP night and hear MOFO, Last Night on Earth, & Velvet Dress or Your there on Unforgettable Fire Night and hear Sort Of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire, & Wire or you are there on War night and get to hear Seconds, Like A Song, & Two Hearts Beat as One... Think you get the picture!!

Imagine the excitement that would cause every night as fans are in anticipation of what night they got to hear... "I was there on Zooropa night!!!"  or "I was there on Rattle and Hum night!!!"

It would be amazing!!

What do you think?
What album night would you hope to get?
What 3 songs would you like to hear from that album?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: With basically a Greatest Hits Tour coming to the USA this summer...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
I must say I admire your idealism, but stadium venues with audiences of 70,000 are not the places to try to do something like this.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I must say I admire your idealism, but stadium venues with audiences of 70,000 are not the places to try to do something like this.

Agreed.

Perhaps eventually in an arena tour, like what they did with mini Zootv in Vertigo.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »
The European Leg of the 360 Tour in 2010 plays it less safe than any other U2 tour since the 80s with the possible exception of the last leg or two of Vertigo. They swapped things up almost every night after the first few shows, constantly changed what new songs we'd hear, introduced brand new unplayed songs out of nowhere, brought back some oldies that hadn't been played much, took out Sunday Bloody Sunday once or twice, debuted a semi-acoustic NLOTH, started rotating previously 'safe' songs...

Certainly more adventurous than the tour before or since- or indeed than the ZooTV or PopMart tours!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
The European Leg of the 360 Tour in 2010 plays it less safe than any other U2 tour since the 80s with the possible exception of the last leg or two of Vertigo. They swapped things up almost every night after the first few shows, constantly changed what new songs we'd hear, introduced brand new unplayed songs out of nowhere, brought back some oldies that hadn't been played much, took out Sunday Bloody Sunday once or twice, debuted a semi-acoustic NLOTH, started rotating previously 'safe' songs...

Certainly more adventurous than the tour before or since- or indeed than the ZooTV or PopMart tours!

Zoo TV and PopMart were much less safe set-lists than anything on 360.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:59:40 PM »
In context, he was specifically referring to 'switching things up' and being less predictable *during* the tour.

ZooTV is probably the best U2 tour ever, but on the 'Zoomerang' leg, they played the exact same setlist every single night for ten nights, including multiple nights in the same city. Now we can all agree it was an awesome setlist, but 'unpredictable' it was not.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
In context, he was specifically referring to 'switching things up' and being less predictable *during* the tour.

ZooTV is probably the best U2 tour ever, but on the 'Zoomerang' leg, they played the exact same setlist every single night for ten nights, including multiple nights in the same city. Now we can all agree it was an awesome setlist, but 'unpredictable' it was not.

Zoo TV was like Popmart in that it was really hard to change things up due to all the visuals and other aspects.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »

Yeah, that was perfection.  No need to mess with that.  :)