Author Topic: Why So Much Disdain Over "In A Little While"?  (Read 7783 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Why So Much Disdain Over "In A Little While"?
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
I have been studying the U2 360 setlists as of late and the songs fall under either of these categories:

-Best Of 1980-1990
-Best Of 1990-2000
-commercially released singles post-2000 which should be in Best of 2000-2010 (Walk On, Vertigo, City Of Blinding Lights, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent)
-NLOTH album tracks (Crazy Tonight, Moment of Surrender)
-songs that are not really full-band songs with full-length (Stingray, MLK, or Scarlet) so they don't really "count"

Basically every song is a "greatest hit" from 1980-2010, except for two songs which are to promote the album that was released prior to this tour.

That leaves us with "In A Little While."  This song must be a band favorite since it was never a single or appeared in a Best Of yet they play it.  It should be in the same status as "Ultraviolet" yet there are some people who cringe at the playing of this song.

What gives?

I think "In A Little While" is the only glue remaining that prevents this tour from being a truly "Best Of" or "Greatest Hits" Tour.  We should pay more respect to this song.

Cheers,

J

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Why So Much Disdain Over "In A Little While"?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
Just because IALW is an album track doesn't mean it automatically deserves praise for its bewildering longevity in the setlist.

Also:

Ultraviolet is a fun, rocking, awesome song. IALW is plodding, twangy, and boring. Especially when it's acoustic.

Also also:

Crazy Tonight WAS a single. Not an album track. MoS is currently the only NLOTH album track being performed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 08:04:01 PM by Droo »

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »
I agree.  I have always thought this was one of their better tunes and I do not understand why people rag on the song so much. I look forward to hearing it in Anaheim.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
I like it fine.... But I think it's had a nice run and it's time to put something else in that slot.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
I don't think you can determine if fans like a song just because it has a similar 'rare' status to ultraviolet.
Ultraviolet is evidently more enjoyed on a musical level... it's less to do with rarity, although that must have come into it when u2 first played the song. But if that space had been occupied, by say, Grace, a song that's been rarely played as well, people would (probably) mostly desire a change.

Ultraviolet is more rock n roll, it's more energetic. It's better for a massive stadium setting.
In a little while is slow, practically acoustic, and pretty melancholy. It barely has a place in a stadium setting at all, let alone being a staple. I think many are annoyed at the fact that U2 refuse to play songs like Zooropa, Fez-being Born, Gone, Mofo, which would be far more appropriate for the 360 stage, and yet still play IALW.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't think you can determine if fans like a song just because it has a similar 'rare' status to ultraviolet.
Ultraviolet is evidently more enjoyed on a musical level... it's less to do with rarity, although that must have come into it when u2 first played the song. But if that space had been occupied, by say, Grace, a song that's been rarely played as well, people would (probably) mostly desire a change.

Speak for yourself. Grace > IALW. By leaps and bounds!

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:46 PM »

Ultraviolet is more rock n roll, it's more energetic. It's better for a massive stadium setting.
In a little while is slow, practically acoustic, and pretty melancholy. It barely has a place in a stadium setting at all, let alone being a staple. I think many are annoyed at the fact that U2 refuse to play songs like Zooropa, Fez-being Born, Gone, Mofo, which would be far more appropriate for the 360 stage, and yet still play IALW.

Or ASOH. Jus' saying.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »
I like it fine.... But I think it's had a nice run and it's time to put something else in that slot.

+1

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »

Speak for yourself. Grace > IALW. By leaps and bounds!

I meant most people wouldn't be happy with Grace in place of Ultraviolet... just like many aren't happy at the squandered opportunity to play rare rockers in place of IALW (although i agree it would be nice to hear grace over IALW now).

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »
Grace has NEVER been performed live. It would be a huge deal if they played it.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
I'd like to hear Grace... Over Cedars even.

Offline Voxare

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »
Thanks for starting this thread Jick - I am getting so sick at people whinging over In A Little While - I really don't understand why people are so against it. I think it is a great song (personal opinion - I know) - not my favourite U2 song but definitely not a bad song.
As for 'it's not a rocker' kind of attitude - you can't do a whole show at 110% - there has to be a quieter period - give the band a bit of time to cool down, give the show a chance to build up again - you will get that with any live show - so what is wrong with this being the song in that quiet spot? Yes - there are other songs that you wuold like to see played - all of us have songs we would love to see in the setlist - doesn't really explain all the comments against this song though.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »

Maybe at first, but i'm saying, if it had been used instead of (or replaced) ultraviolet in 2009, and had been used since, the novelty would have worn off pretty fast.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Maybe at first, but i'm saying, if it had been used instead of (or replaced) ultraviolet in 2009, and had been used since, the novelty would have worn off pretty fast.

That's fair. Grace would be a very poor replacement for Ultraviolet, despite how much I love the song.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »
If "In A Little While" was not on the set, we would have essentially a Greatest Hits tour.

We should be thankful that the song is saving the 360 Tour from that tag.

Cheers,

J