Author Topic: More Achtung Baby Songs??  (Read 4877 times)

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
More Achtung Baby Songs??
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:00:06 AM »
Does anyone think that EBTTRT was added to promote the new re-mastered release coming soon?  I think it may have something to do with it. If so, I wonder if we will get any other songs from the album in rotation. Just a thought

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: More Achtung Baby Songs??
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 05:06:26 AM »
Yes of course.

They don't need to promote NLOTH because that has run its course.  The Achtung Baby remaster is just around the corner.

That's why they didn't mind dropping Magnificent.

During the postponed legs of the Vertigo Tour, they played few songs from the Bomb album (after all it has already swept the Grammies and run its course) but instead played Window In The Skies and Saints Are Coming to promote U218.

Profitability is very important for U2.

Cheers,

J

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »
They should sack their marketing manager as I don't think playing Even Better in a minor market like Argentina is going to give you access to the biggest audience for your future release !!   Afterall the remaster will be bought primarily by people who would buy it anyway, regardless of promotion. The CD is dead so any remasters are for the collectors among us.

I don't think U2 analyse their setlist like that, it is more organic and a lot less corporate. Similar to the reason why they don't play so many songs from NLOTH now, simply because they have other ideas on what they want to play taking into account to a degree what they think the fans want to hear but at the end of the day they will play want they think fits best with the show they want to give.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't think U2 analyse their setlist like that, it is more organic and a lot less corporate.

Let us not try to insult or underestimate U2.  If they did everything by feel and not taking into account their brand image, marketing, product positioning, and profitability, they would be fat and doing Vegas.

Or they would be bankrupt and doing a "reunion tour" even if they hate each other - just for the cash.

U2 have the best manager in the business, and everything from their song selection is carefully planned.

Cheers,

J

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »

That's why they didn't mind dropping Magnificent.

glad you got to talk to them thats cool

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
Well, they could start with Acrobat and The Fly.

I agree with Jick that U2 are concerned about their brand image, marketing, and above all, profitability.  They really do have so much in common with the modern Rolling Stones.

Offline thefly15

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 11:31:33 AM »
Well, they could start with Acrobat and The Fly.

I agree with Jick that U2 are concerned about their brand image, marketing, and above all, profitability.  They really do have so much in common with the modern Rolling Stones.

I agree! It's been 20 years since they released AB, they need to play that song!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
I agree they are very concerned with the U2 brand but I can't see them sitting discussing the merits of a setlist taking into account possible revenue streams they could benefit from by playing certain songs. Did they play Even Better because of a future AB remaster, they cannot be that cynical.
They are playing lots of songs from ATYCLB, what is that promoting or exploiting for commerical gain?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:39:44 AM by indiansummer »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
The argument that they're doing it for commercial reasons has too many holes in it to count, but just to take the most obvious....

Is anyone actually aware of any human being on Earth who would suddenly be more likely to buy an Achtung Baby remaster because they heard a remix of Even Better Than The Real Thing live? Because I have not yet met them. I could understand this if we were seeing a sudden jump from very few (or no) AB songs but... seriously, it's one extra song. And it's a remix. And they were already playing a rarity from the album as well as most of the standards.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 12:00:53 PM »
I think it's safe to say that a newly released Achtung Baby remaster is going to sell more copies than NLOTH is going to now.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:02:07 PM »
I think it's safe to say that a newly released Achtung Baby remaster is going to sell more copies than NLOTH is going to now.

Sure, much as any newly released remaster of a major classic album would sell more than any newer album in its third year out!  :D But do you think it's safe to say that the playing of an extra song from said remaster live in a remixed form will contribute to those sales? :P

Boom Cha!

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
I would gladly welcome them playing Achtung Baby in full, in track order. That would be wonderful. Bring on more AB songs!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »

Sure, much as any newly released remaster of a major classic album would sell more than any newer album in its third year out!  :D But do you think it's safe to say that the playing of an extra song from said remaster live in a remixed form will contribute to those sales? :P

Absolutely.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
Then I guess U2 will be hoping you're right. But I doubt they're counting on it. ;)

In all seriousness, I would say if there's a connection between the remaster and the live set, it's most likely that in the process of the remastering, Edge might discover a gem or rediscover a song in a way that makes him think it would be a good fit for the live set. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's what happened for The Unforgettable Fire at the start of the tour. That seems much more plausible than their belief in the magical power of the lone live remix to generate sales.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
I think 360 is now a future Achtung Baby remaster promotional tour.