Author Topic: More Achtung Baby Songs??  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: More Achtung Baby Songs??
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is not a greatest hits tour. 5 of major live songs got played a lot less. And over 1/3 of the setlist is still from the current decade.9 out of 23 songs. (more if Stingray is counted).

AB is getting enough play, any more song and ATYCLB style complaints of being overplayed will begin no doubt.

The current tour is only playing a couple of songs from the newest album. They are not promoting any album. What on earth is it then if it is not a greatest hits tour?

Denial.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
The real question is not "What is a GHT in general?" but rather, "If U2 were to play a GHT, what would it look like?"

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
The real question is not "What is a GHT in general?" but rather, "If U2 were to play a GHT, what would it look like?"

Last night's show in Buenos Aires.

Offline YellowLedbetter

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 03:59:28 PM »

Last night's show in Buenos Aires.

Ba-Boom (rimshot)
True, what else can you call it? And i dont understand why people get defensive and go into denial about the "greatest hits" tour thing. I don't see it as a bad thing at this point in their career.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 09:24:19 PM »
"In A Little While" is the only glue that keeps this from being a Greatest Hits tour.

But yet, it seems to be an Achtung Baby remaster promotional tour now with the dropping of Magnificent.

Cheers,

J

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 01:28:56 AM »
"In A Little While" is the only glue that keeps this from being a Greatest Hits tour.

But yet, it seems to be an Achtung Baby remaster promotional tour now with the dropping of Magnificent.

Cheers,

J

I disagree. If U2 were to launch a GHT, it would still contain a couple rarities. You'll have to do better than that to disprove the U2 GHT theory.

Offline Peter Parker

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 06:13:31 AM »
I would gladly welcome them playing Achtung Baby in full, in track order. That would be wonderful. Bring on more AB songs!

Didnt Springsteen do that with his album in the States a couple of years ago?

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
From this decade, only BD and Vertigo qualify as a part of greatest hits.

What is the standard of qualification to be considered a greatest hit, in your view?

The $tones probably didn't introduce 5 brand new songs mid tour and a new tour intro like U2 did.  Or opened with 4 new songs in a row.

No they didn't and U2 haven't played 80 different songs on this tour, including 8 songs from their latest album, like The Rolling Stones did on their last tour.

And it's probably been a while since over 1/3 of their setlist was from the current decade.

That would be the Steel Wheels tour in 1989 at the end of their third decade. ;)

The greatest hits : NYD, SBS, Pride, opening three JT songs, Desire, Discotheque, One/MW, BD, Vertigo. The best known songs. Aka the greatest hits. What other standard of qualification is there ?

The Rolling Stones are about 15 years older. Of course they have a larger catalogue to play from, which proves...nothing until U2 is the age Mick&co are now and we can compare.

But I see I was right about the $tones.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
This is not a greatest hits tour. 5 of major live songs got played a lot less. And over 1/3 of the setlist is still from the current decade.9 out of 23 songs. (more if Stingray is counted).

AB is getting enough play, any more song and ATYCLB style complaints of being overplayed will begin no doubt.

The current tour is only playing a couple of songs from the newest album. They are not promoting any album. What on earth is it then if it is not a greatest hits tour?

Vertigo tour wasn't called a GH tour yet it was as low as 3 Bomb songs a few nights, and it had Windows in the skies and Saints are coming to add in the set. 360 is still regularly at 4, with Magnificent only missing one night so far (with a rumoured reworking on the way), and who's to say they won't bring some song off it back for the US dates?  Elevation tour was down to 5 ATYCLB songs by leg 3 most of the time.

A GH tour most of all would play more of IWF, NYD, Pride, Desire and Bullet the blue sky. It would not dig up 5 new songs and a new tour intro midway. 110 show tour can't be judged by the selected tour legs where they play less of the current material. And a GH tour would not touch the oldies Vertigo and 360 have dug up, or have 1/3 of the set from the current decade/era.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:53:40 AM by xy »

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »
From this decade, only BD and Vertigo qualify as a part of greatest hits.

What is the standard of qualification to be considered a greatest hit, in your view?

The $tones probably didn't introduce 5 brand new songs mid tour and a new tour intro like U2 did.  Or opened with 4 new songs in a row.

No they didn't and U2 haven't played 80 different songs on this tour, including 8 songs from their latest album, like The Rolling Stones did on their last tour.

And it's probably been a while since over 1/3 of their setlist was from the current decade.

That would be the Steel Wheels tour in 1989 at the end of their third decade. ;)

The greatest hits : NYD, SBS, Pride, opening three JT songs, Desire, Discotheque, One/MW, BD, Vertigo. The best known songs. Aka the greatest hits. What other standard of qualification is there ?

The Rolling Stones are about 15 years older. Of course they have a larger catalogue to play from, which proves...nothing until U2 is the age Mick&co are now and we can compare.

But I see I was right about the $tones.

For goodness sakes, it does not matter one bit how old they are, or whether or not the songs they are playing were #1 hits or Grammy winning songs, or their most well known songs for that matter.

All that matters is, is fact. U2 are NOT promoting a current album. There is absolutely no theme to the tour, other than to promote their back catalogue and attempt to attract, and appeal to the newer generation of U2 fans.

Yes, they have incorporated a few new songs here and there, and yes, they have played a few songs that either have never been played before, or not played for a long time. All good I might add!

All other tours in U2's history have been for the purpose of pushing the band forward, new music, new album, innovative stages/ideas (where technology has allowed). Yes, the 360 tour is visually stunning, but U2 did that with Zoo TV and PopMart - 360 only looks 'nicer' because there has been 13 years of technological improvements since PopMart!

Now, before you all start having a go at me.......I think this is exactly where U2 wants to be right now, there is nothing wrong with what they are doing, 360 has been an awesome spectacle, not my favorite tour by a long way, but I 'get it'.

Its a greatest hits tour, for all intents and purposes.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
I would gladly welcome them playing Achtung Baby in full, in track order. That would be wonderful. Bring on more AB songs!

Didnt Springsteen do that with his album in the States a couple of years ago?

lots of bands are doing this now adays, "album tours". Pixies toured Doolittle and it's b-sides. Weezer did 2 consecutive night shows playing Blue Album night 1, Pinkerton night 2. Rush toured Moving Pictures last summer. One could hope that u2 would at least do ONE show of AB front to back!! *DROOL*

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2011, 06:01:49 PM »
I think the reason profitability is important to U2 right now is because they have this gigantic 360 stage, which they have 3 of and they're all being shipped all over the world to play the shows. That definitely is going to cost quite a bit of $$$. Once they do another stripped down show in arenas like Elevation Tour or the first half of the Vertigo Tour, we will see a lot of improvement in the show and show quality.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 09:11:25 PM »

Denial.

Without Desire it cannot be a greatest hits tour.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 12:06:58 AM »

Denial.

Without Desire it cannot be a greatest hits tour.

;D Ditto for The Fly.

But it is no laughing matter when people are discussing the criteria for what constitutes a 'greatest hit' while U2 are only playing 3-4 songs from their latest album.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 12:29:07 AM »

Denial.

(Sung to Desire)

Yeah...
Lovers, we're on the stage
Underneath the bright lights
In a big rocket cage
Playing our greatest hits...from the radio dial
Denial

We still call this the 360 tour
But our newest songs just ran out the door
We've got new tunes, we know you want to see 'em
There's 60 million reasons we won't release 'em