Author Topic: More Achtung Baby Songs??  (Read 4878 times)

Offline xm

• Babyface
Re: More Achtung Baby Songs??
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2011, 03:08:29 AM »
Wow, it's really hitting the fan now...

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From this decade, only BD and Vertigo qualify as a part of greatest hits.

What is the standard of qualification to be considered a greatest hit, in your view?

The $tones probably didn't introduce 5 brand new songs mid tour and a new tour intro like U2 did.  Or opened with 4 new songs in a row.

No they didn't and U2 haven't played 80 different songs on this tour, including 8 songs from their latest album, like The Rolling Stones did on their last tour.

And it's probably been a while since over 1/3 of their setlist was from the current decade.

That would be the Steel Wheels tour in 1989 at the end of their third decade. ;)

The greatest hits : NYD, SBS, Pride, opening three JT songs, Desire, Discotheque, One/MW, BD, Vertigo. The best known songs. Aka the greatest hits. What other standard of qualification is there ?

The Rolling Stones are about 15 years older. Of course they have a larger catalogue to play from, which proves...nothing until U2 is the age Mick&co are now and we can compare.

But I see I was right about the $tones.

For goodness sakes, it does not matter one bit how old they are, or whether or not the songs they are playing were #1 hits or Grammy winning songs, or their most well known songs for that matter.

All that matters is, is fact. U2 are NOT promoting a current album. There is absolutely no theme to the tour, other than to promote their back catalogue and attempt to attract, and appeal to the newer generation of U2 fans.

Yes, they have incorporated a few new songs here and there, and yes, they have played a few songs that either have never been played before, or not played for a long time. All good I might add!

All other tours in U2's history have been for the purpose of pushing the band forward, new music, new album, innovative stages/ideas (where technology has allowed). Yes, the 360 tour is visually stunning, but U2 did that with Zoo TV and PopMart - 360 only looks 'nicer' because there has been 13 years of technological improvements since PopMart!

Now, before you all start having a go at me.......I think this is exactly where U2 wants to be right now, there is nothing wrong with what they are doing, 360 has been an awesome spectacle, not my favorite tour by a long way, but I 'get it'.

Its a greatest hits tour, for all intents and purposes.

It does matter since we're discussing 360 being a GH tour. By definition a GH tour has to play all the hits; it has nothing to do with playing oldies - which makes you a nostalgia act - per se or playing less of new material - which happened with all tours after Zoo TV. And 360 was about pushing new music forward - remember Europe 2010 shows of the 2009 legs of 360.

And chunks of their back catalogue (Pop, barely a touch of Zooropa and October) are missing on this tour - so no, they're not doing that. Maybe Vertigo tour did that. A lot of hits are being played less as well. (most notably the live "greatest hit" Bullet the blue sky which has yet to be played on 360) And we still have one long leg in US to go. As long as they keep 5 new songs in the set (Stingray included, as a new piece of music being played live full band), we're ok.

You're missing the point. 360 is not about being "visually stunning". It's about wanting to have that intimate arena feel in a stadium, by removing blocks of speakers on the right and left side of the band. They did this very well.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:15:26 AM by xy »

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »

By definition a GH tour has to play all the hits....

Says who? I think we need to determine what it would look like for U2 to play a GHT rather than coming up with a standard definition of a GHT and then seeing if 360 fits the preconceived mold. Otherwise you're just rigging the game. In other words, someone can rationalize their way out of ANY setlist being a GH set by determining beforehand that a GH set must include x. So if the 360 tour did not exist and you asked me, "Hey, if U2 were ever to launch a GHT, what would a potential setlist look like on a given night?", I would not sit down and list 24 "hits" (since even a band with U2's catalogue doesn't have that many hits). Nor would I say, "Well, without Desire it would not be a GH set," because that would be completely ridiculous.

We need to think this issue through better, is what I'm saying.

You're missing the point. 360 is not about being "visually stunning". It's about wanting to have that intimate arena feel in a stadium, by removing blocks of speakers on the right and left side of the band. They did this very well.

Call me crazy, but smaller venues are a better path to intimacy than an uncluttered stage and big screens. Sure, 360 is pretty intimate for a stadium show, but let's not kid ourselves and think that U2's main goal was intimacy. No, it was numbers.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »
U2 could have done an arena tour 360 style if they really wanted to achieve 'intimacy', like Prince did at the O2 in 2007.

If they had done that and kept a minimum of 7 new songs in the set (NLOTH songs and previously unreleased songs) I would have no criticisms to make and I'd have probably seen at least 5 shows by now.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
U2 could have done an arena tour 360 style if they really wanted to achieve 'intimacy', like Prince did at the O2 in 2007.

If they had done that and kept a minimum of 7 new songs in the set (NLOTH songs and previously unreleased songs) I would have no criticisms to make and I'd have probably seen at least 5 shows by now.

Seconded.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
From this decade, only BD and Vertigo qualify as a part of greatest hits.

What is the standard of qualification to be considered a greatest hit, in your view?

The $tones probably didn't introduce 5 brand new songs mid tour and a new tour intro like U2 did.  Or opened with 4 new songs in a row.

No they didn't and U2 haven't played 80 different songs on this tour, including 8 songs from their latest album, like The Rolling Stones did on their last tour.

And it's probably been a while since over 1/3 of their setlist was from the current decade.

That would be the Steel Wheels tour in 1989 at the end of their third decade. ;)

The greatest hits : NYD, SBS, Pride, opening three JT songs, Desire, Discotheque, One/MW, BD, Vertigo. The best known songs. Aka the greatest hits. What other standard of qualification is there ?

The Rolling Stones are about 15 years older. Of course they have a larger catalogue to play from, which proves...nothing until U2 is the age Mick&co are now and we can compare.

But I see I was right about the $tones.

For goodness sakes, it does not matter one bit how old they are, or whether or not the songs they are playing were #1 hits or Grammy winning songs, or their most well known songs for that matter.

All that matters is, is fact. U2 are NOT promoting a current album. There is absolutely no theme to the tour, other than to promote their back catalogue and attempt to attract, and appeal to the newer generation of U2 fans.

Yes, they have incorporated a few new songs here and there, and yes, they have played a few songs that either have never been played before, or not played for a long time. All good I might add!

All other tours in U2's history have been for the purpose of pushing the band forward, new music, new album, innovative stages/ideas (where technology has allowed). Yes, the 360 tour is visually stunning, but U2 did that with Zoo TV and PopMart - 360 only looks 'nicer' because there has been 13 years of technological improvements since PopMart!

Now, before you all start having a go at me.......I think this is exactly where U2 wants to be right now, there is nothing wrong with what they are doing, 360 has been an awesome spectacle, not my favorite tour by a long way, but I 'get it'.

Its a greatest hits tour, for all intents and purposes.

It does matter since we're discussing 360 being a GH tour. By definition a GH tour has to play all the hits; it has nothing to do with playing oldies - which makes you a nostalgia act - per se or playing less of new material - which happened with all tours after Zoo TV. And 360 was about pushing new music forward - remember Europe 2010 shows of the 2009 legs of 360.

And chunks of their back catalogue (Pop, barely a touch of Zooropa and October) are missing on this tour - so no, they're not doing that. Maybe Vertigo tour did that. A lot of hits are being played less as well. (most notably the live "greatest hit" Bullet the blue sky which has yet to be played on 360) And we still have one long leg in US to go. As long as they keep 5 new songs in the set (Stingray included, as a new piece of music being played live full band), we're ok.

I have seen U2 41 times, stadiums (11) the rest, arena. The 360 show I witnessed in Vancouver, was the least 'intimate' experience I have EVER felt at a U2 show!  And I was in the inner circle, just next to the red zone! I felt closer to the band and had a better view sitting at the back of an arena.

Nostalgia act, greatest hits tour, whatever you wish to call it, that is what 360 is. And that nonsense about the 360 tour pushing new music forward - ridiculous. They what, played 1-2 new songs a couple of nights in a set of 20+ songs? Wow. Now they have even stopped playing some of those along with most of the songs from NLOTH.

Like I said, I'm ok with it. I like 360, I enjoyed the one show I went to and I am looking forward to Seattle. But I looking forward to going to see U2 play a set of old songs, with maybe, just maybe, one song or two that I have not heard before if I'm lucky.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2011, 01:28:59 PM »
Please play Love Is Blindness

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »
Please play Love Is Blindness

Yeah, best Edge guitar solo EVER!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2011, 02:14:43 PM »
They should open the show with:-

1. Zoo Station
2. The Fly
3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
4. Mysterious Ways
5. One
6. Until The End Of The World
7. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
8. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

and close with;

21. Ultraviolet
22. Acrobat
23. Love Is Blindness

just for old times sake.

I know, including Acrobat is being a bit cheeky.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:29 PM »
They should open the show with:-

1. Zoo Station
2. The Fly
3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
4. Mysterious Ways
5. One
6. Until The End Of The World
7. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
8. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

and close with;

21. Ultraviolet
22. Acrobat
23. Love Is Blindness

just for old times sake.

I know, including Acrobat is being a bit cheeky.

That'd be awesome, but then they'd have to most likely cut a song from ATYCLB; and we all know a U2 concert can't function without a song from that album.  ::) :D

hurricane hugo

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »
when I think of all the poor digitrees that died to provide this bandwidth...   :'(  :'(  :'(

#@!

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2011, 08:04:02 AM »

Call me crazy, but smaller venues are a better path to intimacy than an uncluttered stage and big screens. Sure, 360 is pretty intimate for a stadium show, but let's not kid ourselves and think that U2's main goal was intimacy. No, it was numbers.

[/quote]

360 manages to be intimate for a stadium setting. Which is what they were getting for anyway and which is what Bono said back during the last leg of Vertigo tour (can we play in the round next time?)...the "numbers" are there, of course, because more people can get in due to the stage configuration.

Says who ? Again, the very statement "greatest hits setlist" does. It doesn't have anything to do with how many songs are getting played from the last album.

U2 has played at least 5 major live songs less than usual. And they still have 4/5 new songs in the set on a regular basis. Which is almost up there with Elevation's 5 songs by last leg, and about the same as Vertigo had on the last leg (on some nights as little as 3 songs from Bomb). And yet Vertigo didn't get called a greatest hits show...yet having hits on a far more regular basis in the set. Actually Zoo, Popmart, Elevation did this too.
And the last three tours before 360 were nowhere near bringing in 5 new songs (not new as in last album but new as in unreleased material) mid-tour.

There are complaints about U2 having 4/5 songs from ATYCLB in the set. Why should they not acknowledge the fact it was a big record for them, on par with JT and AB in terms of their career (the breakthrough, the reinvention and the comeback record) ? AB will be 20 years old and they play the same amount from that with the Even better... remix, while ATYCLB is at least from the current U2 era.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:21:09 AM by xy »