Author Topic: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono  (Read 97461 times)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
Re: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2011, 03:25:00 AM »
All, thanks so much for your posts about Bono lyrics. Again Cherry great idea.

I thin faris is hosting today but may be having internet issues. We'll give her some time to post and if she is unable to get on, we will save her idea for another day. . . stay tuned.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »
Well, as Beli said, b/c of internet issues over the last several days (read no internet) I've not seen this thread before this morning. So, I am still reeling from the lovely "baby blues," the ideas conjured up by "Bono and bubbly," and the many varied and wonderful lyrics that are now swirling around in my brain.  Thanks y'all!!!

A disclaimer before we get started, I have been too verbose, but I LOVE these sorts of topics, so I am loathe to cut anything out.  So, feel free to skim or skip to the end. The topic for the day is what is your favorite Bono-related/ inspired/ founded organization?  What Bono org. gets your blood pumping??  And what lovely Bono-pics do you have of him with the said favorite organization?

Thursday—My favorite Bono Organization—
When Mon and Beli asked me to pick my favorite Bono (aid) organization, I started thinking.  But the more I thought, the tougher the decision became!  There are actually so many organizations that Bono/ U2 have been involved in over the years which have brought immense good to a wide variety of people.

Nevertheless, I think my favorite Bono-involved organization is ONE Campaign.  It started off as DATA (which was truly my favorite b/c it united so many of my loves under one organization).  DATA stood for Debt, Aid, Trade, Africa.  The idea was that what was needed on the continent of Africa was not a yet again another neo-colonial “save Africa” complex (or campaign) but fair practices which would level the playing field in Africa.  These included the “drop the debt” campaign whereby countries would be freed from age old debt often incurred under despotic and dubious circumstances.  The idea was that instead of paying millions of dollars each year on the interest of these debts, the countries would be freed from having to pay back this money and they would have more money in the system to be able to build up infrastructure and other necessary services. This “D” arm of DATA is now being carried on by Jubilee International.  The “Aid” aspect has continued on in a variety of ways which we know Bono supports (has encouraged): PEPFAR funding, Global Fund, Bill and Melynda Gates Foundation’s contributions, etc.   Trade—this is a complicated issue, but it has to do with giving people a fighting chance—leveling the playing field a bit in the sense of trying to eliminate some of the trade-related inequalities that foster the multi-national corporations but keep the little businessman from ever getting off the ground.  (I totally see Edun as fitting in here! Yaay for Edun!)

Here is the succinct Wikipedia summary of what DATA/ ONE are:
DATA was created for the purpose of obtaining equality and justice for Africa through debt relief, adjusting trade rules which burden Africa, eliminating the African AIDS epidemic, strengthening democracy, more accountability by the wealthiest nations and African leaders and transparency towards the people. In 2007, DATA and Bono were jointly awarded the National Constitution Center's 2007Liberty Medal for their groundbreaking efforts to address the AIDS crisis and extreme poverty in Africa.
Start-up funds came from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, financier George Soros, and technology entrepreneur Edward W. Scott.
In 2007, DATA and the ONE Campaign decided to join forces, and in January 2008, they formally merged under the name ONE. ( You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

DATA and now ONE bring together a whole host of ideas about advocacy, equality and justice which are my driving forces in life.  I can not speak for the voiceless but I can try to create the circumstances and situations through which their voices can be heard!  And I feel like ONE does that.  I am so excited to live in a time and place where some of these issues can be brought to the fore and addressed again in the public market places! 
Thanks Bono!!! Thanks ONE Campaigners!!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ONE.org has great blog articles which are a quick way to catch up or to stay on top of what is going on across the continent.
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(this could so be a Ghana clinic!!!)

I love their advocacy which gives us ways to be involved, like with signing a petition to protest the recent budget cuts which if they all go through will result in the deaths of thousands of kids across the continent.
action point: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

or in helping to eradicate HIV transmission from mother to child by 2015!

Back to Bono—
Here is a video of Bono speaking in 2008 at a California Women’s Conference.  Awesome speech he gives!!! (and he looks so good here!!)

A small Bono pic from his bio on the ONE.org board of directors:

Bono and Bob Geldorf with Kenyan blogger Ory Okolloh

Bono, Bobby Shriver and Christy Turlington Burns in Ghana with ONE—
blog article: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So, what is your favorite Bono-org?  Or favorite Bono-org. pic?

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »
it is a tough decision, faris!  i do agree with what you said about one, especially how they're a great source of info on what's going on in the world outside of my own little life.
i don't know that i have a favorite, but i think the whole product (red) thing is ingenius.  for instance, just today, i stopped by an apple store to pickup a surprise ipod for mr j, and there's the (red) ipod... such an easy choice, and bit of money goes to the needy.  the foresight and savvy to find a benefit for the world's poor that is so simple and painless for the consumer - something where the consumer simply needs to be aware, and make a conscious decision with their purchases, is a cool idea.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »
Faris, I am so glad you highlighted One. I was wondering (no pun intended) if anyone had any thoughts about the criticism that One has not donated money to a charity-- I know it comes from people not understanding the real purpose of One, but would still like to hear opinions.

Also how many of us out here are members of One. I am.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2011, 10:38:39 AM »
I am a member too.

And notice how many times I used the word advocacy!  ;D  (maybe I should have used it more  :))

But you are right Beli-- open to discussion and opinions.  :)

It was a really tough choice, Jab!  I almost went with (RED).  And the video link of Bono at the Calif. Women's Conf. is him speaking at a (RED) gathering actually.  I have the (RED) Ipod shuffle!  ;D  Hope your hubby likes his!  It is truly ingenious, but then one can never best tell what wonderful ideas are in that little Irish head of his!  ;D

Offline Belisama

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »
Is it wrong that I think Bono looks really sexy in that last pic with his shirt open and his hands on his hips?

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
Love the intensity.....

OH MY GODDDD

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
Is it wrong that I think Bono looks really sexy in that last pic with his shirt open and his hands on his hips?
not at all!  and i think there's enough room between people that, if you got a running start, you could totally clear that table and tackle him  ;)  :-*
oh... and i'm a one member, too  ;)

Offline red

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "..................."
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
I was thinking the same thing ;)

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2011, 11:11:56 AM »
Great minds think alike! Love the game plan there Jab!! ;D

Ooooo-- love the pic OAP!! Thanks!!!

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2011, 11:13:35 AM »
i was interrupted by a computer issue earlier, but i wanted to contribute some (red) related bono photos.  these are from his publicity shots taken with oprah:

this next one makes me smile  :)  is he just used to looking "up" to people?  or are he & oprah both imagining his crazy idea for a future 360* stage?  ;) :D

Offline Belisama

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »
I actually took the day off work to watch Bono on Oprah when Product (RED) was launched. I had a bunch of friends over to watch it. Stop laughing. There was this moment where he ran around to open her car door for her and one of my friends just turned to me and said, "OK now I get why you love him so much."

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Jab!!! Wonderful!! Too cute!  ;D

Awesome story, Beli!  I soooo wanted to see that show!  :(

Offline Belisama

« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
I am sure it is on her site or on youtube. I will try to find you a link. He was so super adorable.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
When is he not??  ;D

My internet never allows such viewing... not enough bandwidth.  :'(  (Even watching the individual song videos from the gigs is really a challenge.)

Speaking of not enough bandwidth--
I couldn't see Bono but supposedly this video is one of the Facebook people interviewing Bono about ONE.  (like I said though, from the first minute or two that I could see, I didn't see any Bono though  :()
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  (There are actually two Bono vid. links on this site-- one is at the top of the page and the other is almost at the bottom.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 12:36:36 PM by Farisfan (I believe in love) »