Author Topic: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono  (Read 97427 times)

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
Re: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »
Here's a few Bono(RED) pics.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(I think I just made up a new Bono word-- BONO(RED).  You've heard of Inspi(red) and hono(red) but now we have Bono(red) and I am sure we'd all like that!  :D)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:30:55 PM by Farisfan (I believe in love) »

rubygeorge32

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2011, 02:36:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's a few Bono(RED) pics.

(I think I just made up a new Bono word-- BONO(RED).  You've heard of Inspi(red) and hono(red) but now we have Bono(red) and I am sure we'd all like that!  :D)

PURE WIN  ;D

I have only just got round to reading the last few posts regarding Bono's lyrics and his campaign work and all im going to say is that i totally echo all your sentiments! You can lust after any celebrity looks-wise, but with Bono there is more to it than just his physical attributes. Although we may never truly know the man behind the shades, through his lyrics and efforts to make this world slightly better, i can safely say that it is not just his looks that i find appealing, (although of course a bit of a perv is quite unavoidable) ;), its the things he does, the effort he makes, and the results he achieves. An inspiration and a complete legend  :)

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
I can't contribute anything due to lack of knowledge but I think this is an awesome theme- verbose is what I would have expected from you! :D
Those (RED) products look cool, I must say though...

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2011, 04:26:59 AM »
 ;D Yes, EC, expect nothing less than verbosity from me!!  :D :D :D

Bono in a schoolroom in southern Ghana

Bono in a clinic near Nima, Accra.

Lastly-- what Debt Cancellation means to the people of Nima, Accra:
"I spent today in Accra, Ghana, in a place called Nima. Some people call it a slum, with people, too
many people, stacked on top of each other in a small space. Hundreds of thousands of people.

These people call it home, and
it’s a busy place full of life.

Words have a different meaning in
a slum. Home can mean a piece of wood,
pushed against a wall to cover from the rain.
A child’s bath is when your mother brings out a bucket of dirty water and
washes you in the middle of the street.
A mosquito bite can mean death from malaria.

One nurse walking means help is
on the way. Debt cancellation means you
get medicines that will save your life.

A nurse named Mary took me on a
walk through and deep into Nima, down snaking paths and endless muddy alleys to
get into the heart of the slum to visit with a local family to check on their
son. The cancellation of decades-old,
unsustainable Ghanaian debts helped to pay for the clinic Mary works at in Nima,
where kids get medicine for malaria and pregnant women get treatment so their
babies are born healthy and safe. She
takes Bono around the clinic, showing us where they see and treat mothers every
day. Mary often walks 18 hours a day,
from clinics to homes to churches to schools, visiting children and families to
bring life-saving medicines and her most incredible gift, her care.

Mary is at least 30 years older
than me and could probably walk me into the ground without breaking a
sweat. She makes her way through the
mud, and I’m amazed at how she keeps her nursing uniform and shoes so
clean. I think that she must look like
some kind of angel when she knocks at the simple doors of Nima, all in white,
with hope in her eyes and pills in her hand that might well save your child’s
life.

We walk by businesses that have
sprouted everywhere in Nima, people selling cell phones, equipment, food, water
in bags as there’s no running water here at all, a room full of sewing machines
where 10 women are earning a living.
People are working and not letting what surrounds them keep them from
getting up and doing something. People
seem tireless in circumstances that would make anyone tired.

Bono stops and speaks with
Jessica, a woman who owns a stand where she sells cell phone cards. She tells us about how she started her
business, the challenges and her hopes for the future. Bono says this looks familiar, it’s just like
the American dream-but now it’s also a Ghanaian dream. A dream of being able to have a good job and
the opportunity to make a life for you and the ones you love.

We’ve walked a long way and I’m
tired. Mary’s not. She’s ready to go to vaccinate some children
for polio, measles, mumps, rubella, just like kids in the U.S. We go to a
church down the street where the Nima clinic has setup a free vaccination
day. All the women waiting in front of
this Episcopal church for shots for their babies are Muslim. As we walk up, they remind me that we really
can all be ONE.  

Here, EC, is a real "Angel of Ghana"!  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:37:13 AM by Farisfan (I believe in love) »

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2011, 07:01:42 AM »
Geesh. I learned so much about Red and stuff here... I wish I'd bought a Red iPod!

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2011, 07:05:41 AM »
Bono in Mali!  ;D

Love seeing Bono in different parts of Africa and around the world!!

(Anyone know what the theme for today is???  Maybe Bono Around the World should be the theme!)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2011, 07:18:33 AM »
Geesh. I learned so much about Red and stuff here... I wish I'd bought a Red iPod!
Me too, although I still want a U2 iPod. There is always ebay.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2011, 07:19:36 AM »
Me too, although I still want a U2 iPod. There is always ebay.

I want to get a new iPod, but I need a bigger one with more storage space. And I'm not sure there are those versions for (RED).

Offline Belisama

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2011, 07:20:20 AM »
So our Plan is coming along nicely.

And today, Mon is hosting. And shockingly enough her topic is nothing like: Black Leather Bono or Thinks I Wish I Could Do With Bono. . . we'll get to those topics later in the month.  ;)

I will leave her topic as a mystery for now. Take it away when you are ready Mon.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2011, 08:05:32 AM »
I am just jumping in here today with 'the plan'.....love it Bel. Yes, last years was fun.

Ok, mon, I am ready!!! :)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2011, 08:28:32 AM »
Gee, way to make me sound like a shallow perv, Bels. It's totally true!

Today we will be looking at another of the organizations that Bono supports, and I had hoped to be working for, Greenpeace. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A group of thoughtful, committed citizens came together in 1971 to create Greenpeace. A handful of determined activists leased a small fishing vessel, called the Phyllis Cormack, and set sail from Vancouver for Amchitka Island in Alaska. Their mission was to protest U.S. nuclear testing off the coast of Alaska with a brave act of defiance: to place themselves in harm's way. Despite being intercepted by the U.S. Coast Guard, these daring activists sailed into history by bringing worldwide attention to the dangers of nuclear testing.

Today, they have grown from a small group of dedicated activists to an international organization with offices in more than 30 countries. But the spirit and our mission remain the same. The fight to save the planet has grown more serious – the threat of global warming, destruction of ancient forests, deterioration of our oceans, and the threat of a nuclear disaster loom large. Greenpeace is actively working to address these and other threats.

Sellafield

Sellafield is a nuclear plant owned and maintained by Britain's state-owned British Nuclear Fuels, Ltd. (BNFL). U2 was protesting the building of another Sellafield-type reactor and also the poor safety record of the current plant. Cancer levels are statistically higher around the Sellafield plant, and fears of leaks into the sea have been a constant discussion. Greenpeace, along with U2, was protesting its imminent operation, so the band donned radiation suits for the trip and photo op.

Offline Belisama

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31:59 AM »
Mon, one of my fav U2 moments. Really well documented in the Flanagan book.

My fav alleged Bono incident was when one of the smaller boats was going out to sea to a larger one and there wasn't room for Bono and someone suggested he just walk across the water. Cute story even if it isn't true.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2011, 09:01:54 AM »
Thanks Mon!!  I have been slower to get on board with Greenpeace but b/c of my own ignorance. It is an incredible task and a very necessary one!

Here are a few more Sellafield photos:

Offline Belisama

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2011, 11:00:57 AM »
To add on to faris' cause, I just got this in my Inbox today:

Dear ONE Member,
Great news today. The 2011 US budget that passed Congress last night preserves nearly all funding for key programs fighting poverty in the developing world.

The threat of Congress severely cutting these programs was very real. In fact, the budget that's currently on its way to the President's desk for his signature makes some of the most significant cuts to the federal government in American history. But we campaigned hard to make sure Congress prioritized programs that save lives, and now programs that fight HIV/AIDS, malaria, and hunger will maintain full funding.

Check out the ONE Blog for more details about what this means. And give yourself a pat on the back. Because of hundreds of thousands of ONE members working together, our voices were heard loud and clear on Capitol Hill and cuts that could have been devastating for the world's poorest people were avoided.
Thank you!

Sheila Nix and the entire U.S. ONE staff

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2011, 11:08:08 AM »
I just got that too Beli!!! I took a big sigh of relief!!!  These funds really DO make a difference over here!!!

Here is Bono talking w/ Greenpeace founder, Dorothy Stowe