Author Topic: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono  (Read 101076 times)

Spannisheyes

Re: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono
« Reply #870 on: May 08, 2011, 05:52:25 AM »
Young Bob looks just like him  :o  :o :o

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #871 on: May 08, 2011, 06:12:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Young Bob looks just like him  :o  :o :o

I know! I do think Bob was a very handsome fellow.

I think Bono gets his looks from his father and his playful personality from his mother.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #872 on: May 08, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »
Thanks Beli!  What a wonderful choice for Mother's Day!  Very special.

This may be a bit long-winded but I think as you said, this topic is very instrumental in making Bono who he is today.

M2 in his book says this:
"At only 14 years old, Paul feels the loss tremendously, explaining in a 1987 interview w/ Rolling Stone mag.: "When it all went wrong, when my mother died, I felt a real resentment, because I had never got a chance to feel that unconditional love a mother has for a child.  There was a feeling of that  house pulled down on top of me, because after the death of my mother that house was no longer a home-- it was just a house.  That's what 'I Will Follow'  is about." (8)

In another section of U2: A Diary, M2 quotes Bono about growing up in a religiously mixed family--" Both my mother and father didn't take religion seriously, they saw the absurdity of the fuss made over their union, though my mother used to bring us to chapel on Sundays and my father would wait outside.  I have to accept that one of the things I picked up from my father and my mother was the sense that religion often gets in the way of God." (6)

Another one of my favorite sections on said topic is from U2 by U2.  Bono says: "You don't become a rock star unless you've got something missing somewhere, that is obvious to me.  If you were of sound mind or a more complete person, you could feel normal without 70,000 people a night screaming their love for you.  Blaise Pascal called it the God-shaped hole.  Everyone's got one but some are blacker and wider than others.  It's a feeling of being abandoned, cut adrift in space and time.

Sometimes this stuff follows the loss of a loved one.  With me, I was like the character in that old blues song: 'sometimes I feel like a motherless child'.  So many years later, my own hole can still open up.  I don't think you can ever completely fill it in this life.  You can try to fill it up with songs, family, faith; by living a full life, but when things are silent you can still hear the hissing of what's missing.

I don't have very many memories from my early life. I've talked about this with my brother because he doesn't have many either.  The only explanation we can come up with is that when my mother died, my father didn't talk about her, at all, ever. So as a result of her being erased from memory, simply through not wanting to go there, I think a lot of other stuff went with her.  It's a real singer's thing, missing mothers.  Johnny Lydon, John Lennon, it seems to be the very heart of rock and roll, as missing fathers are to  hip hop." (14)

And lastly about his mother:
"I wish I had more of a sense of my mother. I forget what she looked like. I have just a few vague memories.  My father used to make things, he was good at DIY and he'd be building presses and wardrobes and whatever.  I remember when he was upstairs in the bedroom and he was using an electric drill and there was a scream, a wild, mad sound.  My dad had been drilling a pice of wood while holding it between his legs and the electric drill had slipped out of the wood and gone right into his crotch.  He was standing there holding it with and 'I've castrated myself!' kind of look on his face, and I remember my mother literally crying with laughter.  At that point, we didn't know if he had castrated himself or not, but as serious as she must have known it was, she couldn't stop laughing.  She had a real dark sense of humor.

I have a couple of memories of her laughing like that. I remember her chasing me with a wooden cane after I had done something bad.  I was running away from her, terrified, but when I looked around I saw her laughing her head off again. She couldn't take discipline that seriously.  That's a nice snapshot to have."

I love the photo of the four of them-- Bono standing next to his mom, his dad and brother Norman-- all of them are at a pool on a family holiday.  Bono looks to be about 10 or 11.  (the look and stance remind me so much of his boys)   But it is a really cute pic of Bono's natal family.  I couldn't find it online anywhere.  Anyone have it?   (It is on p. 20 of U2 by U2.)

This is not exactly related to the topic but this interview w/ Chris O'Donnell is so lovely.  (Thanks to whoever posted it on BRMW!) I so enjoyed it!  Love how Edge says his "relaxation" is making music and Bono says putting on shows is "cathartic"!
This is a long way from trying to fill the hole by playing gigs! 
Enjoy!

Offline Belisama

« Reply #873 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:22 AM »
Faris is this the picture?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:12:13 PM by Belisama »

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #874 on: May 08, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
I can't see the picture... :( Or a few on the other page.

For some reason I've actually had this on the mind all day. My mind was far from The Plan and the forum and all, but I couldn't stop thinking about Bono and his parents for some reason. Maybe it was a resonant part of Mother's Day, but I'm glad you chose this to be the theme.
I always wondered what Iris was like. She sounds like a really wonderful person. And though it's just sad that both of Bono's parents are dead, I was thinking about how if there is an afterlife, at least they're together now. I've also wondered how much losing his wife impacted Bono's father... it's one thing to lose a mother but something completely different to lose a soulmate.

Hm. I don't have any pictures so there's my 2 cents. Happy Mother's Day!

Oh, PS- I love that word- "cathartic." Great that Bono used it! :D

Offline Belisama

« Reply #875 on: May 08, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
Try now.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #876 on: May 08, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
Nothing there now.  Not even the cute little box showing where a picture ought to be.  :D

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #877 on: May 08, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
Nothing there now.  Not even the cute little box showing where a picture ought to be.  :D

Don't feel bad, Faris, I can't see any of them either.

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #878 on: May 08, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »
Aw, Mon.  I am sorry!  I am kind of used to only being able to see about half the pics people post.  But I would've thought you should be able to see it!

Happy Mother's Day to you though!!  How are the girls?  Tired from the trip?

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #879 on: May 08, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
Aw, Mon.  I am sorry!  I am kind of used to only being able to see about half the pics people post.  But I would've thought you should be able to see it!

Happy Mother's Day to you though!!  How are the girls?  Tired from the trip?

The girls are great and we are all still recovering from the trip. It might take a while since we were on the road for about 36 hours straight living off of fast food dollar menus because we didn't know if we would run out of cash or gas first. Luckily, the extra weight and detour around the flooding in Memphis didn't require as much fuel as I was afraid it would and we actually made it home with a couple of bucks and a half tank of gas.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #880 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
Faris is this the picture?

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This looks like the pic Faris described. Unfortunately it takes a really long time to load.
God, Bono is adorable in that. :D

Offline Belisama

« Reply #881 on: May 08, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
Sorry guys, it shows for me. :( You can always quote me and then copy the link to your browser.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #882 on: May 08, 2011, 06:30:51 PM »
Yeah, I did that. I saved the picture... I think Photobucket works best for pic links.

What a cute family! :) (Faris I hope you can see now!)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #883 on: May 08, 2011, 06:36:08 PM »
This really is a cute pic. I love that Iris is so modestly covered and that even at the age of 10 Bono was self conscious enough to wear a shirt.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #884 on: May 08, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
Whereas the older men are sporting two very well-groomed chests... making me go " :P "

Wow, Bono is young in this pic! Younger than me even. That gives me ideas... :P