Author Topic: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono  (Read 98295 times)

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
Re: The Plan 2011: A month of Bono
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmorrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!
Zoo TV pics...  visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I only have one pic.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All the other spraying champagne moments on tour were awesome, too...

You've got to wonder how many bottles they went through on that tour. I get dizzy just thinking about it!

God! I wish I had a bottle right now!

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2011, 05:17:15 AM »
Good morning, Bonophiles!

Today we have our first Guest Host in The Plan. CherryYouDanceWithMe will be taking over for the day. I will let her reveal the topic, but it is a good one.

Cherry, I know Bono is in good hands!

Offline Monicalea

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I don't care, I'm claiming it!
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 05:50:19 AM »
Cherry, I know Bono is in good hands!

*snicker*

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2011, 06:42:49 AM »
*also snickers*

Good Morning! The topic for today is         "Bono's Lyrical Triumphs!"

What always inspires me about Bono's lyrics is that he never set out to be a lyricist. He wasn't one of those "arty" kids in school who was always writing in a journal or sketching in a notebook. But I do believe it was his destiny- I mean, read the lyrics on the album Boy. These from a person who really had no experience writing.

"And in the daylight, a blackbird makes a violent sight. And when she is done, she sleeps beside the one." -An Cat Dubh

In U2 by U2 Bono writes, "I found I didn't really like writing lyrics. I didn't listen to songs for their words, particularly. I was interested in ideas and I couldn't concentrate on the details."  Well, even almost thirty years later, people still complain that his lyrics seem unfinished. But Bono is also the first to admit that in the years that followed, he began to read more than he ever did before and hone his writing skills. He did find a passion for writing and found that it was something that made him proud.

During the recording of The Unforgettable Fire Album, I believe Bono discovered a lyrical technique that would serve him well in years to come. It was unihibited train-of-thought writing that can be a great tool for any writer to practice. But Bono is quoted in U2: Into The Heart by Niall Stokes as saying, "I see the rythm of words as being important. They build up slowly and often I do not think its ready yet-though everyone else may think it is, I can't let go. That's why a lot of the songs tend to be sketches..." And in U2 by U2 he adds, "...and so I never finished great songs like Bad. Classics like Pride In The Name of Love are left as simple sketches."

And then there came Achtung Baby.  8) My favorite part of the Achtung Baby history is the story that the band debated heavily whether or not Bono should use the term "baby" so liberally in his lyrics. It was so sappy and cliche.... but I think you'd all agree with me that Bono gives the term an edge  ;D  And it became a term he never let go of.

"Baby baby baby light my way." -Ultraviolet (Light My Way)

I also love how Bono's lyrics are always changing. His songs are an organic living thing. Case in point, Out of Control from Sao Paulo. I love the new lyrics.

Bono has written everything- blues, pop, country, rock, soul. And some of them were better than others (lets be honest). But the thing Bono's lyrics have given me throughout the years is the tools I need to listen to them. They have taught me how to listen to lyrics. They have taught me that some are winners and some are failures. They have taught me that perhaps a lyric on its own doesn't mean much, but when it's cradled in a melody it can mean the world.

Finally I would like to give you my all time favorite Bono quote about his own lyrics. It has empowered me to write. "As I try to warn people, you couldn't get further from the songs than the singer. But I do my best!" -U2 by U2

Now its time to share your stories! What are your favorite lyric-related stories? What are your favorite lyrics?

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:51 AM »
YES!!!! This is why I fell in love with Bono!! I'm in love with words and the words to U2 songs are BRILLIANT. To me, a song must have both great music and great lyrics to be PERFECT. So many U2 songs are PERFECT to me.

I've said it before, and I know everyone's tired of it by now, but I love the lyrics to Walk On. I know that this song was about An San Suu Kyi, but for me, they are about walking through and overcoming my grief. ATYCLB came out shortly before my husband died and I've found that Walk On, through the years, has really brought me out of some deep ruts when I needed it the most. I especially love these lyrics:

And if the darkness is to keep us apart
And if the daylight feels like its a long way off
And if your glass heart should crack
And for a second you turn back,
Oh, no, be strong!

Gah!!! Absolutely AWESOME. I said in a sermon I wrote for my church that I saw the "darkness" as the line between life and death that kept my husband and me apart... And daylight--hope, the strive to keep living and love life again--felt like a long way off to me in the darkest moments of my grief. My heart was broken... and I wanted to turn back--to live in the past and dwell and, honestly, just do nothing--but I couldn't. Bono's voice in Walk On was telling me to be strong, walk forward, keep going no matter how painful it was.

This song means so much to me. And I especially LOVE the version of Walk On found on U2 7. Those hallelujahs at the end--they are freaking perfect. When U2 played this song at the concert I went to (just a few weeks after my husband died) in Cleveland, Ohio, they sang the hallelujahs and it was.... ooooh, so wonderful. I have the bootleg and whenever I listen to it, I think of how much that concert helped heal my soul if only for just one night in that long year.

(I know I've said this all before so anyone who has already read this here or on my blog, forgive me!!)

A lot of the lyrics really resonate with me. Miracle Drug is also one of them... I was finally, in 2006, starting to come around to being fully me again, and this song revived me, picking up where Walk On left off. I loved the line: "I've had enough of romantic love. / I'd give it up for a miracle drug." (I've reached a point in my life where I dont feel I need to be with anyone...) And: "Of science and the human heart, there is no limit..." So hopeful!! So inspiring!! We can do anything in this world if we have the ambition to do so. So get up, go out, be the change you wish to see in the world!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 09:31:57 AM by MarsGirl ~ Like a bomb-blast lightning waltz. »

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:58 PM »
Thanks for the story MarsGirl. I hadn't read your story before. It was very moving. And reading those lyrics to Walk On drive home even more how amazing of a lyricist he has become.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2011, 03:51:12 PM »
Let's see... celebrating lyrics today. Great. :) I have my favorites...

"I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky, and the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill." That's my favorite line of all. So painful, and paints a beautiful picture. Also I like "And when it's raining, raining hard... that's when the rain will break my heart." :'( I adore the story behind that song, too. Hell, I just adore that entire song, as I bet everyone knows.

"No nothing makes sense, nothing seems to fit... I know you'd hit out if you only knew where to hit. And I;d join the movement if there was one I could believe in..." An amazingly relatable feeling in those lines. A feeling of having to do something and needing some kind of support, but just not knowing where to turn...

"She's gonna dream of the world she wants to live in. She's gonna dream out loud. DREAM OUT LOUD." How much more uplifting can you get? Those words always put a smile on my face.

"We are people borne of sound. The songs are in our eyes." That phrase- having songs in your eyes- is oh-so-romantic. It fits muscians and artists, when you can't seem to get the inspiration to stop... you're just so filled with song, it can be seen in your eyes. You have to give it life in music. Ahhh...
There are more, many more, but I can't think of many. Oh, MG, I love those lines too! That song was once my "song to listen to when sad". :D

Spannisheyes

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »
Bono-tread?

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
Yeah, I guess.

Spannisheyes

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
*joins*

I LOVE BONO!!! (You helped me to admit it EC)

Offline rootedphoenix ~lost in the music~

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Like socks in the dryer....the lives of my days...
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
I'm not sure how I'll sound in this, so forgive me. (English is my mother tongue, but it probably won't sound like it here and there.)

I just don't know where to begin. So many feelings, so much emotion.... and that's just my reactions! ;)

I am a writer myself. I'm someone who loves words. I read words far more than I eat food. I have so many books. I read so many things online. I listen to lots of music. I live on those ideas. I live for the chance to pull those sparkling ideas into myself. I live for the chance to make my life brighter, better and more peaceful. I long to quell the violence I know I hold. Beautiful words, ideas, and thoughts nourish me, They excite me far more than my own violence ever could hope for.

I adore reading, but music is my passion. Nothing carries the range of human emotion in the same way that music can...and does.

Words can be slippery things to grasp. Hanging words on human emotions is a task large enough to intimidate anyone. I think that's why there's room for so many lyricists and other writers.

Words, ah......they feel so small sometimes. Sometimes they feel too large and unwieldy...like your delicate emotion will break if you try to hang words on it. Or that words are too broad....and you need specifics.

Bono has a tough job (as do those who've also written U2 lyrics over time). But I'm glad he does it. I think the world needs those ideas, perfect or not. Sketches or not.

I think that, at least for this band, you can't separate words and music. They reinforce each other too much. There are unspoken words in the music, and the rhythm of everything. I wrap those songs around me sometimes...like a blanket or something.

So many songs shouldn't be comforting at all...but they are. I think it's the idea that I'm not alone. There's a lot of life packed into those words. There's crushing melancholy lurking, lurking in the shadows, but there's hope calling you out of the dark corners. Sometimes it's the same song.

This is my uplifting music, and I don't want to live without it. (This band. Just, just...there are no words!)

I love words, but those lyrics are made out of something more irreplaceable, more precious than words. I'm sure many other people have this gift, because I've seen it, but it's so, SO glorious to find it. People like Bono are in a unique place. They speak from a place so powerful that you can find yourself blazing with hope just because they do...if only in that moment.

I think it's also like sculpting something out of a piece of your own self. Even if you tell another's story, it's still your perspective. You are a part of the story. You are woven deeply into its heart. Maybe you become its heart, even if the story isn't about you.

I remember something Bono said. I can't remember the exact quote...maybe someone can help me? In any case...it was the idea that if the listener is close to the song, and the singer is close to the song, then the listener and singer are close together.

And now I'm remembering something else. I think it's another part of this quote, but maybe I'm wrong. The idea of that one was that if the listener and singer both sincerely believe in the song, then it's not cheesy.

It's a gift to be able to make yourself a part of the song like that. It's an eve greater gift to be able to do that as much as Bono does.

Even if everyone were to have that gift, I don't think it'd diminish the human experience one bit. I'd be ecstatic if everyone could.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
Everyone here is so eloquent. Cherry, thank you for hosting today-- fabulous idea.

I will expand on this later (under the weather today) but one of my favorite Bono lyrics of all time is Yaweh.

To me it reads like a poem and is one of his best lyrics.

"Yahweh"

Take these shoes
Click clacking down some dead end street
Take these shoes and make them fit
Take this shirt
Polyester white trash made in nowhere
Take this shirt and make it clean, clean
Take this soul
Stranded in some skin and bones
Take this soul and make it sing, sing

Yahweh, Yahweh
Always pain before a child is born
Yahweh, Yahweh
Still I'm waiting for the dawn

Take these hands
Teach them how to carry
Take these hands, don't make a fist, no
Take this mouth
So quick to criticise
Take this mouth, give it a kiss

Yahweh, Yahweh
Yahweh, Yahweh
Still I'm waiting for the dawn

Still waiting for the dawn
The sun is coming up
The sun is coming up on the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean

Yahweh, Yahweh
Yahweh, Yahweh
Why the dark before the dawn

Take this city
A city should be shining on the hill
Take this city if it be your will
What no man can own, no man can take
Take this heart
Take this heart
Take this heart
And make it break

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 08:29:21 PM »
i agree, bono writes some great lyrics.  i like how he turns things upside down sometimes, and puts two otherwise opposite words right next to each other: "uncertainty can be a guiding light". 

the stream of consciousness thing - something i have a lot of respect for, because i write lyrics, but am constantly overthinking them, overcontrolling them, not letting them be themselves - but bono lets the words come to life on their own.  i'm fascinated by his philosophy about the sound of words being as important/more important to a song than the literal meaning of the word itself.  he's able to trust the song enough to allow it to show itself in due time without being forced.

i read something once about the multiple layers of his lyrics.  the author mentioned that the words/songs/lyrics are sort of like those trading cards you get as a kid - the ones where you see a picture of a horse, but if you hold the card at an angle, the horse becomes a unicorn or something.  the author thought bono had a knack for being fully present in two different storylines at the same time during a song - and the meanings of the words intertwine seamlessly so that both stories are portrayed, but no one in the audience is ever sure which story was the 'real' story in the song.  the man is amazing.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »
"the author thought bono had a knack for being fully present in two different storylines at the same time during a song - and the meanings of the words intertwine seamlessly so that both stories are portrayed, but no one in the audience is ever sure which story was the 'real' story in the song.  the man is amazing."

Wow!! Beautifully said and I totally agree. He could have wrote a song about An San Suu Kyi that was really specific... instead, it's open-ended... and because of that, I interpreted the song to fit my own circumstances. That's because Bono's lyrics transcend their original purpose.

As for the sound of words... I think he really did that well in TUF... that whole album is words strung together to fit the music... there's obscure meaning there... and it's all beautiful.

And, Beli, Yahweh is totally one of my favorite songs too!

Offline rootedphoenix ~lost in the music~

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Like socks in the dryer....the lives of my days...
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 09:34:10 PM »
There's a lot of power in letting a song be itself. I know I have to have that idea in mind when I create something. It must be allowed to be itself. God is maybe telling you something...um...making your art better..by changing it like this. If you let it happen, the results will shine more. If you grab it away, you have cheated your art... and yourself.

(It doesn't have to be God, but I hope you guys know what I'm trying to say.)