Poll

Which of the following options would you prefer (choose one):

A true NLOTH tour (7+ NLOTH songs, with the rest of the set mostly hits)
33 (47.8%)
A true greatest-hits tour
2 (2.9%)
A non-NLOTH tour consisting of a combination of hits and a few rarities
20 (29%)
I would choose option #1, but the NLOTH material isn't strong enough.
14 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Which Would You Prefer...?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Which Would You Prefer...?
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:14:24 PM »
This question struck me last night as I was considering my own thoughts about U2 playing Zooropa in Sao Paulo. It seems to me that 360 began as option #1, a true NLOTH tour (apart from the generic tour name). As it progressed it started to have a more GHT feel (option #2), and now it seems like it has landed at option #3 (not a NLOTH tour, and not a GHT either, but more of a hit-plus-rarities tour).

If I had MY way, I would love to see a true NLOTH tour (7+ songs) with mostly older rarities making up the remainder of the set, but that's just not a realistic option. So I am casting my vote for option #1 (which, by the way, is what I consider ZooTV and Popmart to have been).

OK, vote and discuss!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:36:16 PM by The Exile »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Which Would You Prefer...?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »
Option 3. I've seen the "true NLOTH tour" phase of the 360 Tour, and it was awesome. But I will take rarities like Ultraviolet, Zooropa, and The Unforgettable Fire over Breathe and Unknown Caller any day of the week.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Option 3. I've seen the "true NLOTH tour" phase of the 360 Tour, and it was awesome. But I will take rarities like Ultraviolet, Zooropa, and The Unforgettable Fire over Breathe and Unknown Caller any day of the week.

Of course, if you saw the first two legs you would have seen 7 NLOTH songs PLUS Ultraviolet and TUF.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
Just asking, concerning option 3, will there be NO NLOTH tracks at all, or will Magnificent, Boots, etc still be there?

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:32 PM »

Of course, if you saw the first two legs you would have seen 7 NLOTH songs PLUS Ultraviolet and TUF.

True, but not Zooropa. ;)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:37 PM »
I'd like to see Breathe, Magnificent, No line on the horizon, White as snow, Fez, Crazy studio all in the setlist on a regular basis.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »
Just asking, concerning option 3, will there be NO NLOTH tracks at all, or will Magnificent, Boots, etc still be there?

By option #3 I am thinking of pretty much what the 360 is right now: mostly hits, with some rarities and NLOTH tracks thrown in.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
I'd like to see Breathe, Magnificent, No line on the horizon, White as snow, Fez, Crazy studio all in the setlist on a regular basis.

Then you need to vote for option #1 (which only I have chosen so far)!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 12:31:09 PM »

By option #3 I am thinking of pretty much what the 360 is right now: mostly hits, with some rarities and NLOTH tracks thrown in.

Okay that's what I thought.

I'd go with #3 then, as I've also seen Unknown Caller, Breathe, and NLOTH played.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 01:20:19 PM »

This is what I would have liked to see at a 360 show. 

I liked the way they opened with four new songs.  This is how I think U2 originally conceived the tour.

+ at some shows it would also have included Bad or Your Blue Room.  :)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:41:24 PM »
Definitely option one with a rotation of hits and rarities.

Offline emuhunter

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
I voted option 3, it seems to me that U2 is out in a new creative area right now. I don't feel that, if they were truly trying to cash in with least amount of effort involved, they'd be playing (for example) Zooropa, Miss Sarajevo, etc. they'd want to load up the setlist with everything and anything that has been a hit so far.

The "hard" part is that, in my opinion at least, they have so many hits from the past 30 years that are actually really strong songs that work well live so if they were to decide to keep completely away from a "Greatest Hits" style setlist they'd be ignoring some of their best material if that makes sense?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:58:02 PM »
If this were a forum of REAL FANS, EVERYONE would have voted for option 1. 

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 02:44:16 PM »
... it seems to me that U2 is out in a new creative area right now. I don't feel that, if they were truly trying to cash in with least amount of effort involved, they'd be playing (for example) Zooropa, Miss Sarajevo, etc. they'd want to load up the setlist with everything and anything that has been a hit so far.

I agree. There was a time when I was arguing that 360 is a GHT (and at the time it kind of was), but the more I think of it, the more I think that while it is still not a true NLOTH tour, it is more of a hits-plus-gems type deal.

The "hard" part is that, in my opinion at least, they have so many hits from the past 30 years that are actually really strong songs that work well live so if they were to decide to keep completely away from a "Greatest Hits" style setlist they'd be ignoring some of their best material if that makes sense?

This is where the band has to exercise a little discipline. The line seperating an option #3 set from a GHT one is very thin.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:19 PM »
If this were a forum of REAL FANS, EVERYONE would have voted for option 1. 

Well, not if they thought the new material was poor. For example, if NLOTH sounded to me like Behind or Bomb, I would rather they just ditch it and play songs like Zooropa, Acrobat, or Drowning Man.