Poll

Which of the following options would you prefer (choose one):

A true NLOTH tour (7+ NLOTH songs, with the rest of the set mostly hits)
33 (47.8%)
A true greatest-hits tour
2 (2.9%)
A non-NLOTH tour consisting of a combination of hits and a few rarities
20 (29%)
I would choose option #1, but the NLOTH material isn't strong enough.
14 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Which Would You Prefer...?  (Read 5357 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: Which Would You Prefer...?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
I chose option number 1. I really hate it when artists don't stand by their work. How do they expect fans to like the album, if they don't have any faith in the album itself?

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I chose option number 1. I really hate it when artists don't stand by their work. How do they expect fans to like the album, if they don't have any faith in the album itself?

That's fine, but No Line is 2 years old and they're not really touring behind it anymore. Also, as performers they can see when a crowd is alive or if a crowd isn't into the songs. When I saw 360 it was a great show but for some of the No Line songs (Unknown Caller for example) the crowd just wasn't into it at all. U2 obviously notices these things, and make changes to the setlist.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
If this were a forum of REAL FANS, EVERYONE would have voted for option 1. 

Well, not if they thought the new material was poor. For example, if NLOTH sounded to me like Behind or Bomb, I would rather they just ditch it and play songs like Zooropa, Acrobat, or Drowning Man.

But option 1 specifically refers to NLOTH material.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »
Option 1.  My 2009 Giants Stadium show setlist was actually pretty good - no IALW

Main Set: Breathe, Get On Your Boots, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day - Blackbird, No Line On The Horizon, Magnificent, Elevation, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Stand By Me, Unknown Caller, Until the End of the World, Stay (Faraway, So Close), The Unforgettable Fire, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo - It's Only Rock and Roll, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix), Sunday Bloody Sunday, MLK, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore: One, Amazing Grace, Where the Streets Have No Name, Ultraviolet, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 04:21:03 PM »
I chose option 4. I love that U2 aren't a 'dinosaur band' yet, that despite their reputation and incredible legacy, they're still coming out with new, great, fresh, unique and exciting albums. I hate the idea of them not leading with new material, and not using tours to promote their newest efforts. Relying on past glories puts them a step closer to 'rolling stones territory', no matter how great EBTTRT is (and i think it's one of the best openers they've ever used).

However, that being said, i don't think NLOTH is strong enough to really lead a live show. The album is fantastic to me, but it's simply not... appropriate to carry a live show. It's like a zooropa without an achtung baby. It's like opening zoo tv with stay, the first time, and daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car. Great songs in their own right, just like MoS, NLOTH, and Breathe, but they shouldn't ever be opening/leading/carrying a show.

I think at the moment, the 360 tour most closely resembles option 3 - mostly hits and a few rarities - but for me that does make it a greatest hits set. I think a greatest hits u2 show 15 years down the line would not be entirely made up of commercial successes, but also former artistic glories, including aspects of the experimental 90's. Opening with a 20 year old single, then playing their first ever single, plus including more obscure songs like Miss Sarajevo, Ultraviolet and Zooropa that convey a different side of the band, that hardcore fans would appreciate, are exactly the kind of moves i'd expect from a u2 greatest hits show. Any show that undeniably depends more on old hits than on new material - to the point where new tunes could just be dropped and it wouldn't affect the gig - is a greatest hits show to me. I guess i could be persuaded that, since two new songs (CT and MoS) are important parts of the show, and they're still playing at least one unreleased song (NS), that it's not quite a greatest hits show yet. But they're down to only one unreleased song now (and it isn't a staple any more), so for me the tour is only 3 songs away from undeniably being an GH show. That's depressingly close.

With NLOTH, u2 forced themselves to make the choice of either supporting a giant tour with an inappropriate, zooropa-esque album, or simply dropping the new material and showcasing the hits. There wasn't really a great way out, and it's a shame. Once again, i'll state that they should have release NLOTH as a follow up to a more hit-laden album.

I hope they get the balance right next time - new sounding and artistically rewarding songs that are also popular and playable live.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
If this were a forum of REAL FANS, EVERYONE would have voted for option 1. 

Well, not if they thought the new material was poor. For example, if NLOTH sounded to me like Behind or Bomb, I would rather they just ditch it and play songs like Zooropa, Acrobat, or Drowning Man.

But option 1 specifically refers to NLOTH material.

But that means you're saying that if people were real fans, they'd like NLOTH, which is not true.

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »
I would've liked more rotation of No Line material earlier into the tour, giving a chance for each performance worthy tune (and that only excludes Cedars really) to be heard a couple of times for measuring aud. reaction, with some cutting and rotating of lesser tunes, and then keep rotating the better ones, in favour of some workhorse oldies, taking up 6-8 slots, depending on city/number of shows.
This would've meant a little more work up front, but they could play some very good album tunes from just muscle memory, should the mood so suggest...

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
My ideal tour would one that supports No Line and includes greatest hits and rarities that are mostly from the 90s. Of the non-90s and No Line tracks, I'd probably only include a few (like Vertigo and Bullet, maybe Exit, sometimes Sunday Bloody Sunday).

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 03:24:26 AM »
as i've already seen the tour with the nloth tracks, i would like to see u2 playing a lot of rarely played gems mixed in with their hits. they'll always play their hits, so i'm just being realistic. they've surprised me in some ways recently with some of the rarities they are playing, i just hope they keep the surprises coming, or at least, keep the likes of zooropa and out of control in the set.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 11:40:29 AM »
I chose option 4. I love that U2 aren't a 'dinosaur band' yet, that despite their reputation and incredible legacy, they're still coming out with new, great, fresh, unique and exciting albums. I hate the idea of them not leading with new material, and not using tours to promote their newest efforts. Relying on past glories puts them a step closer to 'rolling stones territory', no matter how great EBTTRT is (and i think it's one of the best openers they've ever used).

Yes, the line separating what they're doing now (option #3) and a GHT is a very thin one. As we have seen a number of times on this tour, the mere addition of a couple songs and subtraction of a couple others is all it takes to make that particular show a GH one.

However, that being said, i don't think NLOTH is strong enough to really lead a live show. The album is fantastic to me, but it's simply not... appropriate to carry a live show. It's like a zooropa without an achtung baby. It's like opening zoo tv with stay, the first time, and daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car. Great songs in their own right, just like MoS, NLOTH, and Breathe, but they shouldn't ever be opening/leading/carrying a show.

I agree with you, but only if we're talking about a big stadium show. I don't think, for example, that they should walk out in front of 60,000 people and launch into Being Born. But my point all along has been that U2 should structure their tours around the music rather than the other way around. In other words, if you're going to release an album like NLOTH, then book a tour in venues that would be appropriate for that kind of music. They really screwed the pooch on this one, and now they're in the unenviable position of paying the price and having to play half-written new songs and old rarities when they would probably rather be standing behind their new material.

I think at the moment, the 360 tour most closely resembles option 3 - mostly hits and a few rarities - but for me that does make it a greatest hits set. I think a greatest hits u2 show 15 years down the line would not be entirely made up of commercial successes, but also former artistic glories, including aspects of the experimental 90's. Opening with a 20 year old single, then playing their first ever single, plus including more obscure songs like Miss Sarajevo, Ultraviolet and Zooropa that convey a different side of the band, that hardcore fans would appreciate, are exactly the kind of moves i'd expect from a u2 greatest hits show. Any show that undeniably depends more on old hits than on new material - to the point where new tunes could just be dropped and it wouldn't affect the gig - is a greatest hits show to me. I guess i could be persuaded that, since two new songs (CT and MoS) are important parts of the show, and they're still playing at least one unreleased song (NS), that it's not quite a greatest hits show yet. But they're down to only one unreleased song now (and it isn't a staple any more), so for me the tour is only 3 songs away from undeniably being an GH show. That's depressingly close.

You're right, it is very close to a GHT. And I have been saying all along that a U2 GHT, if the band were to launch one, would probably include a couple rare gems or new songs thrown in. But for me, at least lately, there are just too many rarities being played on a nightly basis to allow me to label 360 a GHT. But again, the line is thin.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
There isn't any real difference in the set-lists of this U2 tour right now (with its rarities) and recent Rolling Stones tours and yet some U2 fans maintain that 360 is not a GH tour but the Stones tours are. 

What is that if it's not denial?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
There isn't any real difference in the set-lists of this U2 tour right now (with its rarities) and recent Rolling Stones tours and yet some U2 fans maintain that 360 is not a GH tour but the Stones tours are. 

What is that if it's not denial?

What some people do is count up each and every rarity U2 has played over the entire course of this tour and use that as ammo against the idea that 360 is a GHT. But I don't think that's legit. If, for example, U2 plays one rarity per night surrounded by hits, then it really doesn't matter if one night it's Electrical Storm and the next it's Your Blue Room.

But how many rarities per night is enough to escape a GH set? That's the real question.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »
I don't know about how many rarities that need to be played each night to qualify for a GH tour, but certainly, as you suggest, playing rarities during a tour is compatible with being a GH tour. 

I don't distinguish between a GH tour and a back catalogue tour with a few new songs thrown in.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 12:46:20 PM »

But how many rarities per night is enough to escape a GH set? That's the real question.

Ultraviolet
Scarlet
Zooropa
North Star

is enough for me.

Because really, they could just replace those with The Fly, Bullet The Blue Sky, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and Desire and then BAM! It's entirely a GH set.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 12:56:57 PM »
The best way to describe 360 now is as a 'Nostalgia Tour'.