Poll

Which of the following options would you prefer (choose one):

A true NLOTH tour (7+ NLOTH songs, with the rest of the set mostly hits)
33 (47.8%)
A true greatest-hits tour
2 (2.9%)
A non-NLOTH tour consisting of a combination of hits and a few rarities
20 (29%)
I would choose option #1, but the NLOTH material isn't strong enough.
14 (20.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Which Would You Prefer...?  (Read 5327 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Which Would You Prefer...?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I suppose it could work if they shortened the song a bit. Trim the intro down a bit and maybe cut a verse.

That wouldn't do MOS justice

Which is why I think it should stay at the end.

I agree 100%

Boom Cha!

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
I suppose it could work if they shortened the song a bit. Trim the intro down a bit and maybe cut a verse.

I agree 100%

Don't they cut out the, "we set ourselves on fire" verse?

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
Option 4.

:'(

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »

I agree 100%

I hadn't even noticed that until now! And it's my favourite verse! :(

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 02:22:13 AM »

I agree 100%

I hadn't even noticed that until now! And it's my favourite verse! :(

It has been recently cut out.  That verse was sung in 2009

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2011, 06:11:41 AM »
No. 1 obviously. Which is what they have been doing in 2009.

The sets since have become a complete mess of a little NLOTH, some hits, some rarities with no logic and order. But no, 360 is not a GH tour.

What it is now is a nostalgia mini Zoo TV tour with the many AB songs+Zooropa. Just like there was nostalgia present with the Boy and Zoo TV trinity of songs on Vertigo tour. 

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
I picked #1. What I loved about U2 post-Rattle and Hum is how fearlessly they looked forward and pushed out the barriers of what the "U2 sound" could be.

Now they seem too apprehensive about what to play and not to play and what their albums should and should not be.

Which leads me to believe they should never do a stadium show this big for a looong time if ever again. People could sense from the band a lack of confidence when the POPmart shows came. The last thing these huge shows need is a group who doesn't believe in the new material.

Larry Mullen summed it up perfectly a few years ago: We haven't done our greatest hits tour yet.

Yeah but you came darn close. So close we are distinguishing between "greatest hits" and "nostalgia".

Maybe they should just do what Bowie did with his Sound and Vision tour in '90? He had a poll of fans about what songs to include. Then he would include the highest rated ones into the set. Some real gems made it into those set.

The problem is this: how do you satisfy audience expectations while also not becoming, as Larry put it during the R+H era,: the world's most expensive jukebox?

This might be their second(or third if you count the post-POP late '90's "dreaming it all up again") Rattle and Hum period.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:23:04 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline followeru2

• Wanderer
  • long time fan from Brazil
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2011, 09:29:49 PM »
The 3rd option.  Partially because I've already seen the NLOTH tour, I saw a 2009 show.  And partially because I'm totally fine with 4 NLOTH songs mixed in with hits and album tracks from records past

I hear ya. Sometimes I vascilate between what I personally prefer and what I think is best for the band. On good days I think I would actually prefer U2 to do a theatre tour even if I can't get tickets for it (rather than a stadium tour that I do get to see), because of what it would mean for the setlists.

I feel about the same. Ive seen what The Exile calls option 1 in Dublin 2009, and then option 3 in So Paulo last month. My verdict is: okay,  I love Breathe, No Line on the Horizon and Unknown Caller, they sounded amazing in Dublin, but for a tour this long and considering NLOTH fairly poor reception after 2 years of its release, they would need to change something, because its a stadium tour, they played for 89.000 people each night in So Paulo, for example. So if they had to change something, Im glad I got to hear Out of Control, North Star and Zooropa in So Paulo instead of other hits I have seen before in previous tours. So I guess I would vote for option 4.
MT

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
The 3rd option.  Partially because I've already seen the NLOTH tour, I saw a 2009 show.  And partially because I'm totally fine with 4 NLOTH songs mixed in with hits and album tracks from records past

I hear ya. Sometimes I vascilate between what I personally prefer and what I think is best for the band. On good days I think I would actually prefer U2 to do a theatre tour even if I can't get tickets for it (rather than a stadium tour that I do get to see), because of what it would mean for the setlists.

I feel about the same. Ive seen what The Exile calls option 1 in Dublin 2009, and then option 3 in So Paulo last month. My verdict is: okay,  I love Breathe, No Line on the Horizon and Unknown Caller, they sounded amazing in Dublin, but for a tour this long and considering NLOTH fairly poor reception after 2 years of its release, they would need to change something, because its a stadium tour, they played for 89.000 people each night in So Paulo, for example. So if they had to change something, Im glad I got to hear Out of Control, North Star and Zooropa in So Paulo instead of other hits I have seen before in previous tours. So I guess I would vote for option 4.
MT

On the one hand I agree that it would be difficult to sustain a true NLOTH tour this long (unlike ZooTV), but I think it's not NLOTH's fault, it's U2's. They're the ones who insisted on this massive stadium tour, one that, even after NLOTH was pulled at the eleventh hour and watered down to be easier to swallow for casual fans, demands the least-challenging songs possible in order to keep all 80,000 people interested enough to stop checking Facebook during the show.

With U2 being at the point in their career that they're in, I think they either need to tour small venues in support of a challenging album, or create a divorce between their albums and tours so that they can release better music more often while launching large GHTs in support of nothing in particular.

I'd be OK with either option.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
U2 will always sell any venue, regardless of the album they're touring.
There is no need for smaller venues (ie anything smaller than an arena - I'll eat my hat the day U2 decides on a world tour like that) or creating a tour that has no link to the album.

But a tour always presumes the fans actually liking the last album...something that apparently didn't happen with NLOTH.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2011, 01:11:39 PM »
Here's the crazy little secret though: The Stones and U2 have worked with the same tour designers for years: Williams and Fisher. So every time the bands go out they have a bigger tour than the last guy cuz those designers are trying to outdo their last design.

Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are geniuses at it but really that's what's going on. And you just know Jagger is fuming right now: "Forget 360 Willy! I want 780!".

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:13:18 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:22 PM »
Here's the crazy little secret though: The Stones and U2 have worked with the same tour designers for years: Williams and Fisher. So every time the bands go out they have a bigger tour than the last guy cuz those designers are trying to outdo their last design.

Willie Williams and Mark Fisher are geniuses at it but really that's what's going on. And you just know Jagger is fuming right now: "Forget 360 Willy! I want 780!".

The Stones tend to be more conservative in their stage design.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
Conservative yes, but BIG conservative.

And the big comes from Williams and Fisher.