Author Topic: Spoiler - New Opener to Replace Current Song In the Works?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: New Opener to Replace EBTTRT In the Works?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
from what i read, i got the impression the opener would be a song they hadn't played yet on 360.

ZOO STATION

I'M READY. I'M READY FOR LAUGHING GAS

It also implies the selection would be a bit more revolutionary than a former opener.

I am pretty sure it's Fez. With Zooropa possibly taking the place of the Fez interlude between MS and CoBL, they may want to do Fez - Being Born proper as the opener, as fans have been begging for since the 360 Tour began.

??? They have? Because I'm pretty sure it managed to come below NLOTH on a poll of 'What song from NLOTH should open that hasn't already'. Which would mkae it fourth from the ALBUM, let alone from the entire U2 catalogue. I think it's been a very vocal but very small minority of fans asking for it, let alone 'begging' - and those fans are ALREADY a small minority of concertgoers.

I think Fez would be literally the second worst choice from the album for an opener, after Cedars.

Maybe they're reconsidering Moment of Surrender as they did in Torino last year? TOTALLY out of nowhere, would be weird as an opener, but they liked it in rehearsals then...

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 12:25:24 PM »
I personally don't care if Fez never gets played live. I think it would be a lame opener (hell it took me countless listens to remember the song and I still really don't. It's nothing special to me.)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Fez is a nice idea to open with.

It's just not the right song to open with, not enough energy with it.

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Spoiler - New Opener to Replace Current Song In the Works?
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 12:33:42 PM »
Magnificent would make a great opener, it's energetic and has a cool build up, at least on the album it does.

I think if they can rework the intro into something more dramatic, like they did with COBL as an opener, it could work. I can't see them spending time revamping and old tune as an opener.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »
Why does a show have to start with an uptempo song with so-called 'energy'?

I remember Elton John opening his shows with Sixty Years On.  It was a stately opener, which is how I see Being Born in it's around-the-world expansiveness.

They can get down to ramping up the energy levels with their second number.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:44:47 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
Being Born also introduces the theme of space and travel for the rest of the show.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Fez/Being Born has the potential to be the greatest U2 opener of all time, go from that into Real Thing. It would also slightly make up for it not opening the album, my version of NLOTH begins with FEZ/Being Born and it's not only what the song as an opener does but what being an opener does to the song - It transforms itself into something truly epic and monumental. They've an opportunity to shine some light on one hell of a song.  
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:55:37 PM by Bads316 »

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:16 PM »
Here on out, I'm good with "Magnificent" or "EBTTRT". Both work. You know what would turn the place on its head...No one would see her coming....Stop....Think about it....Clear your heads....."Streets"! I know that its typically a show's climax, but it would keep the fans on their toes for the next 22 songs. Think about how many times (it's actually funny) a song jumps into a new spot. We all scramble like Brokers trying to unload a dead stock. "What will replace it"? "What happens to this song if this one is moved up"? So with that said, "Streets" would really throw a wrench into things. Just my 2 cents.  ::)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
The risk with Streets opening is that is THE song most people are there to see. It's nothing but downhill from there for most casual fans if it's played first.

Show's over, time to go home. Look at how many people deserted the stadiums on the 360 Tour after WOWY was finished and MoS was going on. It was like Exodus at my show.

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 01:58:26 PM »
The risk with Streets opening is that is THE song most people are there to see. It's nothing but downhill from there for most casual fans if it's played first.

Show's over, time to go home. Look at how many people deserted the stadiums on the 360 Tour after WOWY was finished and MoS was going on. It was like Exodus at my show.

I hear you. I'm speaking probably from my perspective as opposed to the "Hey is that the song about Martin Luther King" fan. Good point. I still want it though! I wouldn't be able to Tweet the details fast enough.  ;D

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
Personally, anything other than a track from NLOTH opening is a disappointment, even if it's Streets.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »
Personally, anything other than a track from NLOTH opening is a disappointment, even if it's Streets.

I honestly believe this mysterious hinted opener is Fez - Being Born rearranged for live performance, since they seem big on rearranging/reinterpreting songs live right now.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:02 PM »

I honestly believe this mysterious hinted opener is Fez - Being Born rearranged for live performance, since they seem big on rearranging/reinterpreting songs live right now.

I'd be a happy mofo if so

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
Show's over, time to go home.

I don't think it's THE song most casual fans are there to see.  Maybe it is for hardcore fans.  At any rate it's hardly the case of 'show over' and 'time to go home' if Streets were to be the opener.

Look at how many people deserted the stadiums on the 360 Tour after WOWY was finished and MoS was going on. It was like Exodus at my show.

This indicates that MOS is a poor choice of closer in a show for mainly casual fans.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »
I do think MoS has caught on with fans since NLOTH's release though. Audiences seem to be singing along loudly and loving it since the 2010 leg.