Author Topic: Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?  (Read 11843 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:09:33 AM »
I know Bono and Edge always make the top ten lists of best vocalists/frontmen and best guitarists, respectively.

But I don't follow drum or bass magazines and forums.  So I'd like to ask the more musically inclined here:  How do Mullen and Clayton stack up against their peers?  Do they make the top ten lists among artists who play the same instrument as them?

Cheers,

J

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:25:12 AM »
For players who can come with the bass line for New Year's Day, Streets, With Or Without You, and Exit, and the drum patterns for Streets and Sunday Bloody Sunday, i'd say yes.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:55:59 AM »
I buy both Bass and Drum magazines, my son is an accomplished bass player and I tinker around the drums. They are not very highly regarded in general, Adam especially is known as having the "easiest job in rock".

I'm sure it wouldn't be this way if they'd kept up their Pop-type performances, that had some of adams best stuff and Larry was killing it also, (as was Edge, and Bono's lyrics were mostly excellent, but that's another debate with jick).

Coincidentally (not really)  Pop was recorded after Larry spent some time studying music and Adam had taken lessons from the author of the "Bass guitar for dummies" book. I kid you not.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They are not very highly regarded in general, Adam especially is known as having the "easiest job in rock".

That is blasphemy!  Are you serious?

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »
They are not very highly regarded in general, Adam especially is known as having the "easiest job in rock".

That is blasphemy!  Are you serious?

Cheers,

J

Yes.

This is NOT an anti-Adam post, I'm just telling you how he's regarded in the bass-playing world, get on their forums, read their magazines, see for yourself.

In the Rock world, people like Les Claypool, Flea, Cliff Burton, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, rule the roost. Adam rarely makes top 50.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:42:47 AM by JuniorEmblem »

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »
I like Fleas' funky playing but sometimes the simplest job, is the most effective  ;)

It takes a lot of hard work to get U2 where they are now.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »
I don't think Adam is shaking in his "boots" or shedding any tears over this one!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »
I don't think Adam is shaking in his "boots" or shedding any tears over this one!

I Agree, oh, and he's the coolest member of the band.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 03:45:06 PM »

I'm sure he isn't. But something in him DID prompt him to want to improve his craft in the mid-90's, and it showed on the first album he played on thereafter. Pop.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:17:33 PM »

I'm sure he isn't. But something in him DID prompt him to want to improve his craft in the mid-90's, and it showed on the first album he played on thereafter. Pop.

Yes, it does show that Adam cares about improving his craft. He worked very hard in the early days to promote the band even though he did not know much about the business.  He is a great guy. He is not in this to "show off".  He just wants to be good at what he does. I think that is what I meant when I said the first comment.  ;)

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »
I think Larry and Adam are great musicians, just maybe overshadowed by the larger- than- life Bono and Edge even.
They've showed effort to learn as well. We'll see more of their skill in the new album I think from listening to those clips.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
I think Clayton played a pretty groovy bass line to A Man And A Woman.

I still don't understand why they won't even rank him top 50.  Why so little love from the bass publications and his peers?

What about Mullen?  What are his most critically acclaimed drum works that peers respect?

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:11:27 PM »
I think Clayton played a pretty groovy bass line to A Man And A Woman.

I still don't understand why they won't even rank him top 50.  Why so little love from the bass publications and his peers?

What about Mullen?  What are his most critically acclaimed drum works that peers respect?

Adam - Frankly because he's not consistently creative, the medium in which he works certainly isn't set up to shocase his skills, but mails it in more often than not. Pop was his consistently best work.

Larry ? By his own admission "I'm not very good" - His more unorthodox beats are his 'signatures', I threw a brick, WOWY, etc. But his medical problems restrict from doing a lot of stuff live, compare WOY in 1987 vs. now for example.

Again, some great work on Pop

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 05:35:39 AM »
Adam - Frankly because he's not consistently creative, the medium in which he works certainly isn't set up to shocase his skills, but mails it in more often than not. Pop was his consistently best work.

Larry ? By his own admission "I'm not very good" - His more unorthodox beats are his 'signatures', I threw a brick, WOWY, etc. But his medical problems restrict from doing a lot of stuff live, compare WOY in 1987 vs. now for example.

Again, some great work on Pop

Clayton's more groovy basslines include A Man And A Woman, Love Comes Tumbling, and Things To Make And Do.  Pop did have some playful basslines like Do You Feel Loved and Please.

Mullen also did an enormous drum effort in Mofo, until I realized it was double-tracked so I didn't leave that impressed.

Come to think of it, POP was a very bass-and-drums driven album.  And when Edge would do his thing, it wasn't his traditional signature ringing guitar sounds.  Maybe this is why U2 lost their step in POP and people did not really buy into the album.

At least with the upcoming album, a majority of the tracks contain Edge's signature sounds.  This should be reassuring to all the U2 faithful like us.

But based on the clips, do you think this could lead more of their peers to appreciate and respect Mullen and Clayton?  It's hard to believe that the bass player and drummer in the world's best band don't get much love.

Cheers,

J

Offline zoopopfire

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 02:44:06 AM »
I think in general it are always the singer and guitarist who get (almost) all credits. Many drummers and bassists are very, very modest and don't want to show off. Some bass players apparently wanted to show a bit more of, like Sting (plays bass and he was THE leader of The Police, wrote about 90% of all songs), Geddy Lee (also a leader and I really admire him, playing bass, keyboards AND singing almost at the same time in the studio and on stage, RESPECT!) and John Deacon (who doesn't really want to show of and has always been a shy and quiet man), but simply is a bass maestro! If you want to, listen to "Bring back that Leroy Brown and "The Millionaire Waltz".

Drummers are often simple persons who just want to drum/rock/make music/whatever you like!  :D
Larry said about Achtung Baby "I think it's all about the drums". I read an article about the new Metallica Album in which people wrote something I really can imagine Lars Ulrich to have said: "we don't want to do complicated, we just do what we're good at: making fast heavy metal!"

This could be an answer to the question why Bono and The Edge get all the credits.