Author Topic: Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?  (Read 11841 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 04:32:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think in general it are always the singer and guitarist who get (almost) all credits. Many drummers and bassists are very, very modest and don't want to show off. Some bass players apparently wanted to show a bit more of, like Sting (plays bass and he was THE leader of The Police, wrote about 90% of all songs), Geddy Lee (also a leader and I really admire him, playing bass, keyboards AND singing almost at the same time in the studio and on stage, RESPECT!) and John Deacon (who doesn't really want to show of and has always been a shy and quiet man), but simply is a bass maestro! If you want to, listen to "Bring back that Leroy Brown and "The Millionaire Waltz".

Drummers are often simple persons who just want to drum/rock/make music/whatever you like!  :D
Larry said about Achtung Baby "I think it's all about the drums". I read an article about the new Metallica Album in which people wrote something I really can imagine Lars Ulrich to have said: "we don't want to do complicated, we just do what we're good at: making fast heavy metal!"

This could be an answer to the question why Bono and The Edge get all the credits.

I am not talking about Mullen and Clayton's place in U2.

I am talking about their place against their peers.

Obviously in U2 they take a backseat to Bono and Edge.

But have Clayton or Mullen appeared in bass and drum magazine covers?  Have they made top 20 in their instruments in peer or fan balloting?

Cheers,

J

shockdocta22

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »
Ifeel bad for them, with the drumming in sunday bloody sunday and bass in with or without u, u would think that they would be more knownn. they all r important

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 05:01:10 PM »
Sunday Bloody Sunday is indeed a unique drum beat.  Haven't heard any other song sounding like that.

Cheers,

J

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
I think it's just a case of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."  Larry and Adam may not be the most proficient drummer and bassist, respectively, but they are part of the U2 sound.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
I think it's just a case of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."  Larry and Adam may not be the most proficient drummer and bassist, respectively, but they are part of the U2 sound.

Exactly.

Are they well known ? Yes
Are they highly regarded as technically stellar musicians and brilliant composers in their fields ? No

Again, don't take my word for it, just go check polls, etc on the major Bass and drum magazines and websites.

And the WOWY bassline is easy to play, very very easy. It's rated as a beginner's song. Played on 1 string, the E. 10th Fret 8 times, 5th fret 8 times, 7th fret 8 times, 3rd fret 8 times. Repeat.....

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:10:06 PM by JuniorEmblem »

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »
Another thing that's great about Larry and Adam is that they never have overdone it. One of the worst things you can do for a song is put too much into it. They can do a lot with a little. That's a really great skill that not many bands this generation can honestly say they have.

daveyg

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 01:34:01 AM »
I play bass a good bit and yes, Clayton has got a bit of bass bashing over the while, mainly because he isn't a finger tapping lead gutarist on bass that alot of these half wit bassists think a bassist should be. Which is bull. He's a good solid bassist, which is what a band needs. And he's far better than Bill Wyman from the Stones - who has the stage presence, or I should say had, of an urang utan. Here's a long thread on a bass form on the man

I'm not a drummer, but any drummers I know hold Larry in high regard, although drummer forums might vary on this.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:16:02 AM by daveyg »

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 04:09:06 AM »
Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.  I am going through it and will post my opinions here shortly.

Cheers,

J

daveyg

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:56 AM »
It's a long one!! It may be a while!! :)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 06:43:07 AM »
Just went through the entire thread, despite what some here say, it seems that many of these so-called bass guitar experts have good opinions about Clayton's style.  It's all good I guess.

But what about the drummers towards Mullen?

Cheers,

J

daveyg

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 08:00:36 AM »
Well, ultimately, music is music. If it sounds good, it is good. You can teach and learn only so much about a certain instrument, but if you can't make that instrument sound good, it's not music. Making it sound good is not finger tapping high speed playing. Yep, that has its place, but if you're not doing that, it doesnt make you a bad musician. Differnt genres require certain skills as a musician as others, and Adam and Larry fit well into the structure that is U2, demonstrated by the fact they have sold millions of albums and survived for so long as a band, and that they all are one irreplacable quater of the band. The fact that there's people from the four corners of the earth on the forum who actually know who Adam and Larry are and what they do just underlines it. They could have well been mechanics or waiters at this stage of their life and no-one would have known them from anyone else.

The question really isn't whether thay actually stack up against their peers. They dont have to stack up. They set the goalposts. There is now an "Adam style" or "Larry style" of musicianship, which says alot.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »
The question really isn't whether thay actually stack up against their peers. They dont have to stack up. They set the goalposts. There is now an "Adam style" or "Larry style" of musicianship, which says alot.

Well said, Davey!

joegtheog

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
John Paul Jones and John Entwistle both played a very frenetic style of bass which is nearly impossible to imitate.  Flea funks it up like no other. 

Are they technically more proficient than Adam? Yes. (Same goes for, I guess, Neil Peart, Keith Moon, Stewart Copeland in relation to Larry.)

Are they a great rhythm section together? Absolutely.  Check out "Please", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Year's Day", "Mysterious Ways", etc etc etc

For me, there is no better bass sound than Adam filling the room with his thundering subwoofer on "If you Wear that Velvet Dress".

Do they have to take breaks in a concert to showcase solos for them? No, and thank God they dont.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »

For me, there is no better bass sound than Adam filling the room with his thundering subwoofer on "If you Wear that Velvet Dress".

More Adam a la "Pop" and less Adam a la HTDAAB would be a good thing.

Instrumental proficiency at the expense of a good song is worthless (I couldn't name you one Dream Theater song altho I've heard them a bunch of times and know they are kick-ass players), however interesting individual playing within the context of a good song is a nice bonus, one of the reasons I love Pop so much. Larrry, Edge and Adam all brought something new to the table while not losing sight of the songs, and some of Bono's best lyrics ever.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »
Larry is a very good drummer he has his own style and plays for the music. But being a drummer myself. I read all the magazines and the drum forums and allthough he's respected he's not considered one of the best.

One magazine I read rated im 21 out of 100 greatest rock drummers. This is bacause allthough he's really good ( never using the same beet twice for example). He doesn't show off or over play. So no ones ever really seen what he could do.

If he didn't have his muscle problems who knows what he would be like.

Mal