Author Topic: Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?  (Read 11840 times)

joegtheog

Re: Mullen And Clayton: How Do They Stack Up Against Their Peers?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 01:26:18 PM »
Maybe they need snappy nicknames like Hitman and the Alien Groove.

shockdocta22

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2009, 07:53:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it's just a case of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."  Larry and Adam may not be the most proficient drummer and bassist, respectively, but they are part of the U2 sound.

Exactly.

Are they well known ? Yes
Are they highly regarded as technically stellar musicians and brilliant composers in their fields ? No

Again, don't take my word for it, just go check polls, etc on the major Bass and drum magazines and websites.

And the WOWY bassline is easy to play, very very easy. It's rated as a beginner's song. Played on 1 string, the E. 10th Fret 8 times, 5th fret 8 times, 7th fret 8 times, 3rd fret 8 times. Repeat.....

it might be easy to play but how cool does it sound and how gorgeous is it, only a talented innovative person can come up with it

Offline Toulac

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
Larry is actually well respected in the drum world. My mate is a huge fan of death-metal (yes, big difference from U2 lol) but claims "Larry's the only reason why U2 are bearable".

Larry's under-rated performances are definitely in the old Boy/October/War albums, where much of the content is lead by his drumming rythm. Songs like "LIke a Song" (my favourite from War) and "A Day Without Me" see some good drumming.

Newer bands, like Editors, claim their drumming is influenced by the Mullen-miester himself. I recently saw Editors supporting R.E.M. on their 2008 Tour, and you can definitely hear Larry somewhere in there.

There's a few Editors songs that have a huge Larry Mullen/The Edge influence, Munich and Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors are good ones to search for.

shockdocta22

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 07:26:54 PM »
its nice to know he is getting appreciated

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2009, 12:42:55 PM »
Larry and Adam have the tightest and one of the loudest rhythm sections that I have ever heard in a live band anywhere. I get the feeling that musicians respect larry's playing more than Adam's though

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2009, 08:04:40 PM »
What's with the last name obsession jick? Can't you just say Adam and Larry?  :-\

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 05:43:57 AM »
Larry is underrated, adam is probably the least talented, but still very good. AS it has ben said, I agree that adam is the coolest and most selfless :D I am not sure about best drummer, but best bassist is victor wooten. Incredible.

Offline AndyHusney

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 01:06:03 PM »
Not to be critical of Adam, but Streets, With or Without You, and other popular songs are very simple, very common bassl ines. Still, he plays bass in the best band there is.

daveyg

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »
Checkout the following on Adam

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 12:26:15 AM »
Checkout the following on Adam

Interesting links, thanks for posting!

Offline Whoah10115

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:06 PM »
The truth is that all three (Edge, Larry, Adam) often don't get the respect. The Edge doesn't play enough chords and just uses a lot of delay, blah blah blah. Larry is no virtuoso, so they say. He plays too simply (particularly this decade), of course. And Adam just plays the "fat fellah" and can't play in time.

It's all B.S. The truth is they're all virtuosos. The sound that comes out of Edge's guitar is literally something cosmic. Larry's drum patterns are incredibly odd, if you listen. He keeps a great and steady beat, but while he may not be able to (or probably doesn't want to) go hog-wild like a lot of the great ones do he plays his drum patterns can't be taught. He has a very odd setup. The positioning of his high hat, his use of the tambourine. My friend is a drummer and is only now appreciating U2 and it all comes down to him developing a huge man crush on Larry. He doesn't understand what it is he does. Adam may have a disability but is insanely innovative. You always notice the bass in a U2 song and it's the easiest instrument to go unnoticed. The bass in Lemon, The Fly, Please, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mofo, Kite...There are so many more.

U2 didn't know how to play at all when they first came out so they relied not just on playing fast but a sense of musicality and innovation and originality. Now, technically, they are superior in craft but more than anything have retained their originality and innovation. They play very artsy stuff and they rock. And while they're undisciplined and can be all over the map on a song they manage to do the most important thing better than any band: They play in sync. As a result people ignore how good they really are.

Offline UVLightMyWay

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
The truth is that all three (Edge, Larry, Adam) often don't get the respect. The Edge doesn't play enough chords and just uses a lot of delay, blah blah blah. Larry is no virtuoso, so they say. He plays too simply (particularly this decade), of course. And Adam just plays the "fat fellah" and can't play in time.

It's all B.S. The truth is they're all virtuosos. The sound that comes out of Edge's guitar is literally something cosmic. Larry's drum patterns are incredibly odd, if you listen. He keeps a great and steady beat, but while he may not be able to (or probably doesn't want to) go hog-wild like a lot of the great ones do he plays his drum patterns can't be taught. He has a very odd setup. The positioning of his high hat, his use of the tambourine. My friend is a drummer and is only now appreciating U2 and it all comes down to him developing a huge man crush on Larry. He doesn't understand what it is he does. Adam may have a disability but is insanely innovative. You always notice the bass in a U2 song and it's the easiest instrument to go unnoticed. The bass in Lemon, The Fly, Please, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mofo, Kite...There are so many more.

WELL SAID!!!!!

U2 didn't know how to play at all when they first came out so they relied not just on playing fast but a sense of musicality and innovation and originality. Now, technically, they are superior in craft but more than anything have retained their originality and innovation. They play very artsy stuff and they rock. And while they're undisciplined and can be all over the map on a song they manage to do the most important thing better than any band: They play in sync. As a result people ignore how good they really are.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2009, 09:49:24 AM »
Larry is underrated, adam is probably the least talented, but still very good. AS it has ben said, I agree that adam is the coolest and most selfless :D I am not sure about best drummer, but best bassist is victor wooten. Incredible.

Yep, Victor Wooten is the best. Here is a link to his version of "Amazing Grace." Incredible! You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Larry is a very good drummer. Technically not as good as say Carter Beauford, but he uses cool beats and his patterns fit the songs. But the enthusiasm and energy that both he and Adam show makes for exciting shows and records. Plus when you add in Edges guitar and Bono's singing, it just couldn't be better.

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »
I second the snappy nicknames!  :D :D :D

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »
Every musician plays differently.  Adam and Larry certainly hold their own, when it comes to their music.  U2 isn't really known for their long drum solos or blues sounding bass.  But, together.  There is nothing like them.  Like Bono said.  They had it and nothing else.